Drinking and smoking at the lake?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
smoked1
Petty Officer

Drinking and smoking at the lake?

Post by smoked1 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:04 pm

I went to Lake Stevens for the first time last weekend and I saw lots of signs saying no drinking or smoking. Well, I want to have some Bourbon and a Cigar while I fish. Will I catch any crap if I am drinking from a flask and smoking a cigar at one of the fishing spots? If so I'll just not do it but I thought that I should ask the guys with experience before taking a chance. This is off the docks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Drinking and smoking at the lake?

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:08 am

I'm pretty sure I'd have a tendency to follow the rules. There is probably a good reason those signs are there, and asking about them is the only way I'd like to find out why.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 am

Yup, if your fishing the docks, I'd follow the rules... well mostly. But the rules are mainly so everyone can have a good time. With fall being here, you'll have the dock to yourself more.

If you were on a boat then have at it, safely. But if no one else is at the docks.... use discretion.

Keep other lake users feelings in mind and be courteous... then it’s all good. :cheers:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:58 am

City and county parks have some pretty restrictive rules. I know for a fact that the Sno Sheriff's like to watch the parks there. They've never got me but I've seen them ticket a number of people there. It's kind of hard for them to sneak up on you in the off season but then it's kind of hard to hide a nice vitola. Good reason to save up for a boat. The captain makes the rules!
PS sounds like a good fishing program to me. cheers!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:46 am

I fish with a friend of mine who drinks very fine single malt scotch for fishing and he loves cigars.I get him Cohebas made in Cuba.He smokes and drinks like that and I drive.I dont see a problem with it as long as hes not bellegirate(sp) or too loud.I go to docks on Lake Wa and Sammamish that say no tieing boats and swimming but they do it anyways.I think its only enforced if it goes beyond the norm.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

smoked1
Petty Officer

Post by smoked1 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to be careful and who knows; I'll probably even follow the rules. The only way that I would do it is if I was alone or with someone else that wanted to enjoy a cigar.

Racfish, be careful of those cubans. Most of the ones that you find here are totally fake. You really have to order online from overseas to get the real thing. Please let me know via PM if you want any tips.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:21 pm

A little trolling around the lake might be nice. Especialy with a good stog.
I'll be keeping an eye on the weather.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:07 am

Good question. The only problem with it is it's against the law. As I am sure we all recognize; Whether or not we agree with the laws in our State is irrelevant. In fact I disagree with a few myself, and I enforce them. The good news for those who might choose to break this law is it's a civil infraction (not a misdemeanor) with a $50.00 bail amount.

My guess is, if no one is around to be offended or report you, and you are using an inconspicuous method such as an unmarked container, you would be fine, unless a Deputy decides to do a security check at the park and launch which happens frequently. Here is the law for your viewing pleasure. May we all catch many fish and have a great time, every time out.

RCW 66.44.100 Opening or consuming liquor in public place -- Penalty.

Except as permitted by this title, no person shall open the package containing liquor or consume liquor in a public place. Every person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class 3 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW.

(c) The maximum penalty and the default amount for a class 3 civil infraction shall be fifty dollars, not including statutory assessments;

To find State, Municipal, County, and Washington Administrative Codes, we use the following web site; http://www.mrsc.org

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:36 am

I get my Cohebas from Yuniesky the Mariner.We have Cuban employees that vist Cuba regulary.The fake cohebas are usually made in Dominican,or Honduras.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 am

They're not really "fake" Cohiba's unless they purport to be Cuban. There are a lot more Cohiba's made in the Dominican than Cuba could ever hope to produce. I prefer the Cuban but it won't stop me from smoking a Dominican Cohiba, still a damn fine cigar........ That reminds me, I need to dig to the bottom of the humidor to find a tasty treat for the weekend. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:12 pm

[quote="Dave"] To find State, Municipal, County, and Washington Administrative Codes, we use the following web site]

Great help Dave. This is a good topic. Yeah, there are rules. You're supposed to follow the rules. Law enforcement has better things to do than baby-sit you and I. If we are respectful of others...we should be fine..... :salut:
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:51 pm

personaly i enjoy a six pack of brews and a smoke while i'm relaxing on the water. i understand about the alcohol in a public place other than your campsite.. but smoking? thats not fair, we live in a free country and if you are in the open air i don't see why you can't light up a cigarette. i smoke alot when i'm fishing especialy when the fishing is slow. i never throw my butts in the water nor on the ground, after i'm done with my smoke i flick the cherry off and put the butt either in my tackle box or my back pocket. leave the smokers alone we are already outcasts inside, don't make us outcasts outside too....
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Whilst out on the water on my 12 foot aluminum megacruiser of a boat, I'll almost certainly enjoy a drink and a good number of times, my good friend Mary Jane will also visit me and whomever may be with me at said time.

I love fishin.

...however...if fishing from a public dock, I abide by all the rules......but I got a boat, canoe, belly boat and a pontoon at my disposal, so not oft is it that I fish from the dock....hehehehe
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:
Great help Dave. If we are respectful of others...we should be fine...
Well said RwR. Well said my man.

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:53 am

christopherbeebe wrote:personaly i enjoy a six pack of brews and a smoke while i'm relaxing on the water. i understand about the alcohol in a public place other than your campsite.. but smoking? thats not fair, we live in a free country and if you are in the open air i don't see why you can't light up a cigarette. i smoke alot when i'm fishing especialy when the fishing is slow. i never throw my butts in the water nor on the ground, after i'm done with my smoke i flick the cherry off and put the butt either in my tackle box or my back pocket. leave the smokers alone we are already outcasts inside, don't make us outcasts outside too....
I don't smoke but welcome fishing buddies on my boat that do. I carry an old pop bottle with lid and request that they put the butts in the bottle and not toss them into the lake. So far, my smoking buddies seem to have no problem with that request.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 am

Me I smoke while I fish.If I am not able to enjoy a smoke every now and then I resort to the trusty can Kodiak.While on the my float tube or any other boats I utilize a empty pop bottle with a little water in it all butts end up in there.As for drinking I don't drink and fish for a couple reasons.One is I am a light weight.Being really buzzed or drunk and on the water is not a combo I mess with.For others I could care less what they do.As long as they don't endanger me or anyone else.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 am

I think alot of us enjoy a lil touch of medecine once in awhile.I use to love a lil Baileys in my coffee while plunking in the Green river.

Bodo!!! you look so coool in that pic.When I look at it I chuckle to myself saying "that cat looks cool".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:17 pm

That was a fine day! Neah Bay, bagged our kings right off the bat, two over thirty and we headded to the outside for silvers. We just finished lunch and the clouds were breaking up. A fine day! The silvers went ten, twelve and twelve. Last hookup was a double, never stop when you're going for silvers. :compress:

Oh yeah the Macanudo's were pretty good too!

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:19 am

It is ironic that this state has such restrictive smoking laws -- yet makes a boatload of money off of tobacco taxes.

Smoking indoors is one thing, but not allowing people to smoke outdoors is down-right retarded.

Sure, there are some bonehead smokers who can't resist the urge to throw their butts on the ground, but there are many (like myself) who plan in advance and do not litter.

One thing that always works even if you're wading in a river, is a plastic pop bottle that has a screw-on lid. (Leave a little liquid in the bottom to keep lit cigarettes from burning through the plastic.) It's easy to carry, won't leak, and keeps the smell inside the bottle where it belongs.

In fact, it's a great alternative for vehicles too. No mess, no stink. :thumright
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:49 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:It is ironic that this state has such restrictive smoking laws -- yet makes a boatload of money off of tobacco taxes.

Smoking indoors is one thing, but not allowing people to smoke outdoors is down-right retarded.

Sure, there are some bonehead smokers who can't resist the urge to throw their butts on the ground, but there are many (like myself) who plan in advance and do not litter.

One thing that always works even if you're wading in a river, is a plastic pop bottle that has a screw-on lid. (Leave a little liquid in the bottom to keep lit cigarettes from burning through the plastic.) It's easy to carry, won't leak, and keeps the smell inside the bottle where it belongs.

In fact, it's a great alternative for vehicles too. No mess, no stink. :thumright
Not to mention the fires in the summer it causes when people throw them out of their cars.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.