Saltwater Chum

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishingmachine
Admiral

Saltwater Chum

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:40 pm

So i have heard about using a herring under a bobber
But i am also interested if anybody of you guys out there troll for them. If so how deep and what do you use.

Mud Duck
Petty Officer

RE:Saltwater Chum

Post by Mud Duck » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:51 pm

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks that helped a ton

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Small small herring under a float up in shallow water.

Find the chum and they'll take that pretty good...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:50 pm

they also strike on big spinners like a vibrax. Bright and gaudy!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 am

is this all happening in the south sound or where in the northern parts (MA10/9) can u hit these guys near a beach?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 am

bpm2000 wrote:is this all happening in the south sound or where in the northern parts (MA10/9) can u hit these guys near a beach?
The chum come in heavy at Carkeek Park, area 10. Just a little N. of ballard. More like Nov. if I recall. They will swimming around before heading up the creek. You are in Seattle I see, so prob. know the area... obviously you can't fish the creek itself, but all along the shore near the mouth is good.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:12 pm

thx man

it must have built up pretty good? I remember a few yrs ago it was just a couple hundred fish coming back there, dont really want to disturb that population if so.

Basstard
Petty Officer

Post by Basstard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Ok couple questions..

I am hoping to maybe fish some chum as they roll through area 7, is there anyone here that knows where some spots are and what I might use?
Thanks a bunch.
Basstard....
:batman:

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:13 pm

bpm2000 wrote:thx man

it must have built up pretty good? I remember a few yrs ago it was just a couple hundred fish coming back there, dont really want to disturb that population if so.
The population has increased quite a bit, i had the numbers last year but can't recall now. I catch and release so I am not worried about the population. Last year I would go down into the park at like 11:00 pm at night with my kids,,, pitch black woods,, you could hear them tearing up through the creek. It sounded like a pack of dogs. Dead ones spawned out lying everywhere. It definetly is more than a couple hundred these days.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 am

Anyone know if they have been coming to Hoodsport yet?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Reel_Nut wrote:Anyone know if they have been coming to Hoodsport yet?
They are in, not super thick yet...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:08 pm

anyone fished Kennedy Creek recently?
"One more......."

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 am

Hmmmmm ......fly fishing for dogs? Now that sounds like a blast.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:53 pm

i was at hoodsport yesterday and they are in. i went all around the peninsula looking for fish and as a last effort to catch something got there just before dark just as everyone was leaving and caught 3 in about 20 minutes 2 of which were in the mouth. and there were huge schools of 20 or so all over. they all seem dark though. using pink yarn kind of yo yo it in while reeling not letting it hit bottom. hooked into lots more dont know if they were in the mouth or not. but there was alot of people leaving so im sure its packed during the day

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:12 pm

crankbait42 wrote:i was at hoodsport yesterday and they are in. i went all around the peninsula looking for fish and as a last effort to catch something got there just before dark just as everyone was leaving and caught 3 in about 20 minutes 2 of which were in the mouth. and there were huge schools of 20 or so all over. they all seem dark though. using pink yarn kind of yo yo it in while reeling not letting it hit bottom. hooked into lots more dont know if they were in the mouth or not. but there was alot of people leaving so im sure its packed during the day
I was there sat and sun, on sunday there were a lot of fish moving early in the mourning, I caught at least 20-30 and lost ton's more. Most were in the back but about 1/3 were in the mouth. Saturday was slow, a few here and there but not many for shore fisherman. If you want bright chums then your already too late, even though the peak of the run is still a ways off.

trackster13
Petty Officer

Post by trackster13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:43 pm

i was there saturday too 8-4pm...we slayed them between the three of us. probably about 11 a piece, ended up only keeping two of them between all of us. it was disturbing to see one boat out there just raking fish, not flossing, RAKING...not only were they using treble hooks in saltwater but they were even inside the boundaries where boats are not supposed to be! they kept a lot of fish and none of them were in the mouth...its sad especially when you can catch these fish the proper way. anyway, if you're in a boat, you need a good anchor because the wind picked up and our 10lb anchor could not keep us still since there is practically nothing for it to grab onto. all the fish were 12-16lb range, lot of fun, everyone was catching fish. oh, and there was a guy in a float tube right in the middle of where all the fish were schooling...he was just in the way to say the least. haha, sorry that was a lot to say...lol

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Thats why I hate fishing the Skok.I hate seeing all that illegal fishing.It p__sses me off.Funny thing is theres a warden there once a month maybe.I heard the Skok was putting out some serious fish.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:19 am

Any place around me that we can get to? From shore or small boat? I can put in anywhere on the Island or come to work and come out from Arlington area!