What would you do?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

What would you do?

Post by Ditch Pickler » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Well i went catching today with my dad and right after i released a tiny 4lbr, i hear my dad say watch out you might bump one of your rods into the water.

Well right as he said that i did. I heard a splash, then immediately stood up and looked into the water. Good thing i had my polarized shades on, i can see into the water. I dont see my rod, but i was using a big wake swimbait so i could see it going down fast around 3 ft under at the time.

Without any hesitation, i dive right into the water with my shades on and try to snatch the lure so i can retrieve my rod. I miss the lure and honestly didnt see anything but brownish water with the sun up top. I was about 5 feet under then i needed air! So i darted back up as fast as i could. While i was swimming up the rod just happen to catch my thumb by dumb luck.

I honestly panic'd and realized all i had to do is grab my other swimbait rod and just stick it in the water and use the swimbait to grab the other swimbait,line or rod. I'll never do that agian. Cus i just had a bit of dumb luck today!!! Not to mention I freaked my dad out bad and he'll never forget the day he watch his son dive overboard for a fishing pole.

Anyways would you do that for SETUP that cost $550+ after taxes?

$234 rod
$230 reel
$50 swimbait
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:What would you do?

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:24 pm

That is why I always use my rod holder.

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:That is why I always use my rod holder.
Only rod holders i have are my 2 hands. Bass guys dont used rod holders...at least non of my friends or any pros do.
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:36 pm

swimming is different with shoes on
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:47 pm

tough call. As a firefighter and water rescue tech. I would tell you no way should you do this.
However,if you are confident in your swimming ability..I'd say grab the rod. We always stress to individuals to relax and don't panic but thats much easier said then done. At least you got your gear back.

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Throw out a marker buoy then drag with a big football head. My son wants me to go fishing with him again.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:38 am

I know where a kiddie rod is on the bottom of Lake Tapps.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:03 am

With that kind of set-up I would have done the same thing,..that's 2 much of an investment in time and $$ to be "Deep-6ing"!,..you really did get lucky dude,..not that you do but if you were D-Shottin like most of the Bassers here you would have been S-O-L since they usually D-Shot in deeper waters,..LOL

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:39 am

I'd have gotten my snorkeling gear - if that didn't work - start pumping out the lake

I guess that why I wouldn't spend 550 bucks on a fishing set up.

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:54 am

T Dot wrote:swimming is different with shoes on
And clothes...
And a wallet in your pocket...
And a cell phone in another pocket...
And with sunglasses on...

I know from experience Image

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:55 am

Well I am sure that the choice wouldnt have been up to me ... because my wife would have thrown me in before I could have even thought about it ... laughs.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:55 am

dilbert wrote:I know where a kiddie rod is on the bottom of Lake Tapps.
knock it off, the wife is still asking me to find it#-o

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:58 am

Basstradamus wrote:
Marc Martyn wrote:That is why I always use my rod holder.
Only rod holders i have are my 2 hands. Bass guys dont used rod holders...at least non of my friends or any pros do.
You're right on that 1 Basstradamus,..maybe the D-Shot guys use rodholders,..LOL!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:59 am

2000subaru wrote:
That's funny Chris,..hey you been out lately? Sorry I called you Phil,..LOL,..my bad!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:36 am

No Worries man , iv gone in the lake before to retrieve my luckycrafts cranks before .... And to be honest i would have reacted the same way if one my good sticks went over ..

It's not like we live around snake infested waters , so besides getting wet whats the worst that could happen ... BBD :-"

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:47 am

I would lose the glasses, cell, and wallet and gone in too. I don't care if its 5 feet of water, I wouldn't have thought that quick just like you, IN I GO ! I jumped in YEARS ago for a rod that costs probably $30 and it had so much foam on the handle that it was floating when I went in #-o #-o Glad you got it back. My setup would have been a $110 rod, $282 reel, and a swimmy if my SB rod went overboard.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:57 am

Depends on the depth of the water, but I have done the same thing before. Sad to say it wasnt even that expensive. I was 14, just my 2nd yr fishing, I was fishing off the docks at Mardon Resort on Potholes Reservoir. I thought it a good idea to fish from the paddle boats over the crowded dock, BAD IDEA. As soon as I took my hand off the rod, I peddled the boat away from the dock(still chained to dock, but 3-4ft gap) the rod slid off front of the boat in slow motion. Isn't that how it looks when something like this happens? W/o thinking I jumped in. Didn't make it 5ft down when I hit the chains holding dock in place, came back up to a crowd thinking I fell in the water. My cousin helped me climb out and to my surprise the hook was caught on my pants leg. How I will never know! But this was my only rod, maybe cost $75 new. But I was not gonna let it go w/o trying.

I did end up catching some nice rainbows that night, but I will think twice now before jumping in after gear.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:12 am

I wouldnt jump in for it but I'd send the kid in after it.But then again I have no set up worth 500.00.All my rods and reels arent worth 5 wing wangs.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:13 am

BrownBomber wrote:
2000subaru wrote:
That's funny Phil,..hey you been out lately?

BB
lol, who's this Phil guy?

Anyway, just buy a new one and bring it home. "look what I found" You had the secret color on that bad boy... it's surely attached to a fish and has swam far away by now.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:40 am

i dumped 3 setups and broke a rod in the water @ cali earlier this year. I was too shocked to even do anything for the first couple of seconds but luckily they sank slow enough so I was able to get em all back. I wouldve gone into the water if I had to, them setups were $$$! Plus it was ridiculously hot down there anyways.