good price for salmon?

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
ruthven78
Commander

good price for salmon?

Post by ruthven78 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:00 am

Being Im over here in Spokane I think our salmon costs are probably higher than in the Seattle area. Costco had some decent filets for $6.99/lb....is this a good price?

Also how long can you keep fish in the freezer before it "goes bad" ie freezer burned or whatever
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

Dave
Commodore

RE:good price for salmon?

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:37 pm

I think that price per pound at Costco is about the same as the west side. I have heard that the "farm raised" salmon is mushy but I also recently heard my Sergeant at my work saying he buys the farm raised salmon at Costco all the time and has never had a bad piece. My guess is Costco will be cheaper than almost anywhere else except sometimes the grocery department at the super Walmart has good prices. As for freezing, I use a food saver to freeze all my fish and or meat. If there is no air in the package, the product can remain frozen with little to no issue for well over a year in my experience. I believe the Food Saver pamphlet that came with my food saver said 2 years for meat and fish. Mine usually doesn't last that long. I buy all my meats and fish at Costco and could not live without my food saver. Hope this helps.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:57 pm

ruthven78-

i'd say your prices for salmon are no more expensive than westside. two notes: 1) the general cost of living is higher over here so EVERYTHING is more expensive than eastside. 2) 6.99 lb is SUPER cheap where i'm at. i try not to buy salmon in the store, but i'm not a very good fisherman so i have to SOMETIMES :^o . the fish over here are much fresher, therefore more expensive (pay more for higher quality). (i guess i'm not to familiar with costco, but the fish markets in town i am). 8.99-10.99+lb is not uncommon...
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:03 pm

At my grocery store a king filet is $21 a lb which is like robbery

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:07 pm

fishingmachine wrote:At my grocery store a king filet is $21 a lb which is like robbery
Think about $40 a lb. Copper River Salmon....People flock to the stores for it....Unreal...

Prices are much higher now b/c Oregon and California commercial fishing is closed. Lower Supply for same demand=higher prices.

I rarely buy fish from the store, so I don't know what the going rates are per lb per fish, but I do believe $6.99 is a decent/good price, just check the quality of the fish though....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:22 pm

9.99 a pound at fred meyer in vancouver :o

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”