chum

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

chum

Post by Toni » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:43 pm

What does someone use to make chum when fishing for kokanee?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

lskiles
Commander

RE:chum

Post by lskiles » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:49 am

Toni wrote:What does someone use to make chum when fishing for kokanee?
Purina Kokanee Chow !?!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:02 am

lskiles wrote: Purina Kokanee Chow !?!
Do they sell it at a pet store in Vancouver? I haven't seen it for sale up here.
:dj: Very cute.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:25 am

Usually a mixture of things...

Oatmeal, a pinch of salt, some salmon eggs, etc.

Use your google-fu and you'll come up with plenty of "home-made" recipes.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:01 am

Toni wrote:
lskiles wrote: Purina Kokanee Chow !?!
Do they sell it at a pet store in Vancouver? I haven't seen it for sale up here.
:dj: Very cute.
Sounds like a joke, but they do sell it. They have changed the name to Aqua Max - Carnivorous, but it is Trout Chow.

Trout Chow link

I did just write it to be funny. I do not think it would work well for chum.

Check out this link: cure link I do not fish for kokanee so I do not know first hand, but I thought it sounds good.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:01 am

buy a can of corn and cook up some minute rice and mix it together, once mixed just drop spoon/hand fulls of the mixture where ever you are fishing.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Thank you Lewis and fisherman_max. I did a Google search for chum fishing for kokanee, chum bait for kokanee, bait for kokanee, and etc., etc. No recipe came up. An article did show up abut large quantities of corn killing kokanee. He was talking about chumming corn not the few that he would put on the end of his hook. They like Shoe Peg Corn. I was also looking a Fire Corn as bait but I didn’t buy it. It is a small bottle for almost $5. The PRO-CURE WIZARD KOKANEE KILLER KORN MAGIC would be making something like Fire Corn. The Fisherman’s Corner has some good prices on spinner blades.
I don’t know about the Game Fish Chow as it is for pond fish.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:50 pm

isnt chumming illegal?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:09 pm

PokerAddict wrote:isnt chumming illegal?
Most of the time but not on certain lakes. I have been fishing Clear Lake in Pierce County. It is legal.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:27 pm

ah how can you find out where it is legal and illegal?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:42 pm

here somewhere
Paper copy is on page 68. Looks like you just have to look in the lakes section and see in the description. Chumming at American Lake, too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Hey Toni,

I spent quite a while searching for store bought Kokanee Chum and or recipes. I found only one recipe which follows my note. I also know that Albert’s Red Apple Grocery Store in Concrete, WA sells it during the Kokanee season. Their information is below. I thought you could call them and ask them for the name of the chum and where they get it. The Kokanee fishing in the Concrete area is at Lake Shannon and Baker Lake which is why they carry that chum. I hope this helps. If I come up with anything else, I will let you know. Good luck.

Dave

Recipe for Kokanee chum:
3 cups of crushed oats
2 lbs. of salmon eggs (half of them crushed)
as many crushed egg shells as you can get
2 oz. bait scent of various tastes (I like sand shrimp flavor and or baitfish flavor)
1 can fishermen's blend cat food

Concrete Albert’s Red Apple
Street Address:
44546 SR 20
Concrete, WA 98237
Local Phone: (360) 853-8540
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:07 pm

Correct. It will be listed in the lake section if it is permitted.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 pm

I used to use cream corn and Wonderbread along with cooked oatmeal all mixed up with some attractant, like krill juice or something. Doesn't work real well if you are trolling, unless you put out a bouy marker. Hard to find the exact spot you chummed. Knock 'em dead or throw 'em back. :-)
I remember a few years ago at Martha Lake in Alderwood Manor a guy threw a jar of Power Bait off the dock. It was about three quarters full and the lid was missing. For the next week if you fished off the dock and casted towards that jar, you would get a fish. Maybe you could try that,add a little water to the jar to loosen the stuff up. Poke a bunch of holes in a jar top and tie it to the boat with a length of string and use it for chum. Either for stitting or trolling. Might work.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:59 pm

fishing collector wrote: I remember a few years ago at Martha Lake in Alderwood Manor a guy threw a jar of Power Bait off the dock. It was about three quarters full and the lid was missing. For the next week if you fished off the dock and casted towards that jar, you would get a fish. Maybe you could try that,add a little water to the jar to loosen the stuff up. Poke a bunch of holes in a jar top and tie it to the boat with a length of string and use it for chum. Either for stitting or trolling. Might work.
Now that is an idea!

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 pm

this is a little off topic but not way off. when chumming for kokanee would you jig or just pass through the area trolling? if you were to jig what kind of lure would you use?

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:53 am

In Lake WA, I used steamed cooked rice (really soft and mushy--you can even run it quickly through the blender). Mix old salmon eggs with the rice.

Looks like nasty jambalaya when mixed together. LOL

I've caugth rainbows with their stomachs stuffed with my chum.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:39 pm

thats sounds dirty
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:56 pm

big fish lite line wrote:
thats sounds dirty
Only if you forget to put in the h. People will notice that.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:31 pm

crankbait42 wrote: this is a little off topic but not way off. when chumming for kokanee would you jig or just pass through the area trolling? if you were to jig what kind of lure would you use?
I have never done it before but the guy I watched was still fishing. It appeared he didn't have any weight or very little on. He didn't toss much out either. It looked like he tossed just enough to attract fish.