Alpine Lakes suggestions?

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Alpine Lakes suggestions?

Post by kevinb » Thu May 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Howdy...#-o

Any ideas for a beautiful lake that doesn't require a ton of hiking?
I don't mind a hike at all but this trip would entale a few younger kids that might get tired out after an hour.
Most of the people I know just fish these lakes for the day. Is their any rules against staying over night?
Just wondering,I don't want to be intrusive to the environment up there.
Thanks again

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Alpine Lakes suggestions?

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Coal lake and Independance lake located off of the Mountain Loop Hwy near Monte Cristo. (Another words... an hour East of Everett.) You should be able to Google some info. The road was washed out last year, and I imagine it still is, but the walk from the wash out is maybe 1/2 mile to the first lake and Independance is .75 mile on the trail and then 1/2 mile from the wash out. Very pretty lakes with a couple of other ones also in walking distance

Best though to call the local ranger station for whatever area you plan on going and check as to the snow levels. Remember what a long winter we had.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Kevin

Here is a cool link http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/washington/snohomish/
to a ton of lakes in the Snohomish county area, basicly the Stevens Pass area. You can click on each lake an it will give you a little info, GPS coordinates etc. Most of what I clicked on there had not been any fishing reports left, but keep looking. There is a lake on there called Sunset lake that one of the guys in the Trout forum talked about holding Golden Trout. At least you can find out where these lakes are, and then research them through a hiking book for the details.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 16, 2008 3:43 pm

quadradomus wrote:Kevin

Here is a cool link http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/washington/snohomish/
to a ton of lakes in the Snohomish county area, basicly the Stevens Pass area. You can click on each lake an it will give you a little info, GPS coordinates etc. Most of what I clicked on there had not been any fishing reports left, but keep looking. There is a lake on there called Sunset lake that one of the guys in the Trout forum talked about holding Golden Trout. At least you can find out where these lakes are, and then research them through a hiking book for the details.
This is great info and much appreciated. Thanks for the link too. I'm really looking forward to hitting these spots. You have no idea how helpful this is.
Thank you again:salut:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 16, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDAngler
Petty Officer

Post by SDAngler » Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 pm

I love lake 22. It is near Mt. Pilchuck and the hike is about 2 miles and not too steep, though it is a decent work out. It has to be one of the prettiest lakes I have ever seen and I caught a few fish. I don't think you can stay there over night though. Also, I hiked it sometime in early June last year and there was still a good amount of snow so it probably won't be ready until sometime in mid or late July this year. GOOD LUCK!!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat May 17, 2008 7:16 am

SDAngler wrote:I love lake 22. It is near Mt. Pilchuck and the hike is about 2 miles and not too steep, though it is a decent work out. It has to be one of the prettiest lakes I have ever seen and I caught a few fish. I don't think you can stay there over night though. Also, I hiked it sometime in early June last year and there was still a good amount of snow so it probably won't be ready until sometime in mid or late July this year. GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Sat May 17, 2008 9:04 pm

There is a nice hike off of Stevens Pass to "Bridal Falls" and above it is a lake I believe is named "Lake Serene". I took the picture below at Lake Serene. We packed in float tubes and flyfishing gear so it was a bit of a hike for us but there were young kids and older folks doing it too, so couldn't have been too bad. The falls were pretty cool, but the lake was stunning.

JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun May 18, 2008 7:47 pm

TroutCowboy wrote:There is a nice hike off of Stevens Pass to "Bridal Falls" and above it is a lake I believe is named "Lake Serene". I took the picture below at Lake Serene. We packed in float tubes and flyfishing gear so it was a bit of a hike for us but there were young kids and older folks doing it too, so couldn't have been too bad. The falls were pretty cool, but the lake was stunning.

I love this pic...I will go here as well Just beautiful....what trout species are found here?

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sun May 18, 2008 9:56 pm

Where is littleriver when we need him? I love alpine lakes and have tons in Middle Fork Snoqualmie Area. PM me if this interests you at all, as some of the lakes are zipper lip kind of deals...you'll be hooked once you start fishing these lakes...they are smaller fish, but a fiesty 10inch cutty on a 3wt rod is really, really fun! KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 18, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon May 19, 2008 6:41 am

I think littleriver "windmilled" himself out of here.

You didn't say what the distance limit was for the hike. If I say I want one next to the road I don't mean a 4 mile hike. I mean within half a mile.

There's lots of lakes that will fill the bill for a short hike. Most can be found by looking at a Thomas Guide or a Gazetteer and noting which ones have roads next to them. It might be a good guess to say some of those roads may be ditched or gated. Gates are usually shown on the maps but ditches aren't.

Don't forget beaverponds as lots of those are within 1/2 mile of roads.

There's a pair of lakes up by Tomyhoi lake that can be driven to. They are definitely "alpine" as we were using that as a base camp to glass for goats back in 1995. The lakes have brook trout in them. The road has kinda sharp rocks so I wouldn't be driving a 2 ply tired car up there. Tomyhoi is a nasty hike so I'm not talking about this one. Tomyhoi can be done by a scramble down from the overlook (where the other lakes are) but the other way, the designated trail has a nasty "up and down" and I wouldn't recommend that for other than experienced hikers.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon May 19, 2008 6:43 am

Cooper Lake up out of Salmon la Sac is another one to consider. You will find the "hike" very short. Pete Lake is a flat hike further in. I keep thinking it's a 5 miler.

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I think littleriver "windmilled" himself out of here.

There's a pair of lakes up by Tomyhoi lake that can be driven to. They are definitely "alpine" as we were using that as a base camp to glass for goats back in 1995. The lakes have brook trout in them. The road has kinda sharp rocks so I wouldn't be driving a 2 ply tired car up there. Tomyhoi is a nasty hike so I'm not talking about this one. Tomyhoi can be done by a scramble down from the overlook (where the other lakes are) but the other way, the designated trail has a nasty "up and down" and I wouldn't recommend that for other than experienced hikers.

Those lakes are Known as Twin Lakes and they are small but deep and that road is really not for vehicles with a low ground clearance.The cool thing up there is the lookout above the lake.Do not know if it is open to camp inside like it was many years ago but the short hike up to it is worth it with the view you get.If you are ambitious you can hike down the old mining road to the NE from the lakes and do some remote stream fishing.

Bruce Nelson
Petty Officer

Post by Bruce Nelson » Tue May 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Barclay Lake N of Baring on US 2 is a 2 mile, fairly flat hike. There are rainbow in it. The scenery is really nice with Baring Wall climbing from the S shore of the lake. There are camping spots if you wish to overnight it.

Bruce Nelson

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 21, 2008 12:31 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I think littleriver "windmilled" himself out of here.

:geek: Boy, wasn't that a thread.
no response needed.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed May 21, 2008 1:18 pm

This is a great topic of conversation. It all depends on where you are based out of. From the Seattle Area, Exit 34 is really an amazing Exit...an Exit into Paradise...well not quite, but so fun! Pick up a copy of the book below...it is focused on using flies to fish these areas and goes over your basic patterns such as hare's ears, para adams, royal coachmans/wulffs, xcaddis, caddis hatches, chironomids, as well as mayfly hatches...

Granite Lake(s) - Upper and Lower, can be hiked into for the day and a fun hike is the mailbox hike. Granite lakes are around 2900 and 3100 feet, respectively, and are easy day hikes from the base of the MFSR enterance gate. To get there take exit 34 and proceed down the MF Snoqualmie River Road. Granite Lakes (Upper and Lower) are well traversed, and fun day hikes. Nailing some nice little brookies is a conerstone of this gem and also fishing Granite Creek for brookies is very fun. If you hike a little further back you will discover some more lakes worth your look such as Thompson Lake, Spider Lake, Gifford Lakes, Rainy Lake.

Thompson Lake is known for kicking out some 17-19" cutthroat and rainbow trout. This is a great lake to fish, but you might need to make an overnight hike out of this one. This lake receives occasional RBT plants. It is 47 acres, 3650 ft in elevation and has an old miner cabin I believe on the east shore.

Spider Lake is southeast less than 1 mile and downhill from Thompson Lake. Rainy Lake is cool, and is only 5 acres large...it drains into the MF of the Snoqualmie just due W of the mouth of the Taylor River if I recall. These lakes offer great spawning habitat for cutties and at last check some are being stocked with occassional rainbow trout.

I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU PICK UP A COPY OF THIS BOOK:

"Washington's Central Cascade Fishing Guide - Lakes and Streams in N. Bend, Snoqualmie Pass, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Cle Elum" by Dave Shorett

It's a great guide to starting out for the beginner and advanced fisherman/hiker, as I own a copy and love it as a reference guide every now and then. It's wild out there remember, with most of these lakes above 3000 in elevation.

Have fun and be safe!

KTK
Attachments
IMG_7409.JPG
IMG_7409.JPG (121.5 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
IMG_7410.JPG
IMG_7410.JPG (189.32 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
IMG_7406.JPG
IMG_7406.JPG (173.04 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
IMG_7404.JPG
IMG_7404.JPG (236.05 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 21, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Looks like your browsing something near Kachess?
This looks like the perfect book. I will be PMing you shortly for some tips.
Thanks again:salut:

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed May 21, 2008 3:56 pm

kevinb wrote:Looks like your browsing something near Kachess?
I'm thinking you're coming from Puyallup kevinb? If so, booking a hotel room in North Bend is very smart and you can go ahead and do a 4 or 5 day hike in trip in late July when everything is usually thawed out pretty good. This allows you to hit up 5-6 lakes and enjoy nature. Going in there right now would not be advisable, especially with natural avalanches in secluded shutes. KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 21, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 21, 2008 5:25 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:
kevinb wrote:Looks like your browsing something near Kachess?
I'm thinking you're coming from Puyallup kevinb? If so, booking a hotel room in North Bend is very smart and you can go ahead and do a 4 or 5 day hike in trip in late July when everything is usually thawed out pretty good. This allows you to hit up 5-6 lakes and enjoy nature. Going in there right now would not be advisable, especially with natural avalanches in secluded shutes. KTK
Maybe we'll have to meet up and hit some of these lakes around that time. I think I would bring my conventional gear as well for back up,due to the fact my fly-fishing skills are OK at best.
Another great book is "Flyfisher's Guide to Washington" Its more of a general overview of Washington State fly spots.
I should throw this in the fly section:-$

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 21, 2008 8:57 pm

The Alpine lakes forum is usually kinda weak in terms of input.... but I am very excited that there seems to be some early summer fever here.
If anyone,, Kevinb, or Kuttkilla, etc are interested in getting together for even a one day hike-in, please let me know. I would be very interested in this.
Those alpine lakes hit with dry flies, or a spinner just can't be beat.. Give it a thought.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 pm

quadradomus wrote:The Alpine lakes forum is usually kinda weak in terms of input.... but I am very excited that there seems to be some early summer fever here.
If anyone,, Kevinb, or Kuttkilla, etc are interested in getting together for even a one day hike-in, please let me know. I would be very interested in this.
Those alpine lakes hit with dry flies, or a spinner just can't be beat.. Give it a thought.
I like this idea. I'm in...:cheers:

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”