killing off lakes,why?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
juggalo
Petty Officer

killing off lakes,why?

Post by juggalo » Tue May 13, 2008 5:40 pm

:scratch: why does the department of fish and wildlife feel it necessary to kill off a lake just because certain fish are thriving.why do we care so much about trout which have to be raised in a hatchery in order to survive. EVOLUTION.I've seen studies where wild runs of salmon and steelhead have been decimated by the poor genetics of hatchery mates.fish like bass,catfish,bluegill,walleye,and perch taste better and pound for pound are more fun to catch.I'm not saying we should be irresponsible about manageing our fisheries,but what about the long term efects of poisoning our lakes.

can anyone explain to me who,why,when,and how they kill off these lakes/do they have discusions or hearings before they decide to kill thousands of fish?do the communities involved have any say?
lifes short fish hard

crankbait42
Commander

RE:killing off lakes,why?

Post by crankbait42 » Tue May 13, 2008 6:32 pm

i think they kill off lakes because trout are a very sought after game fish and they are native to alot of lakes where as a lot of warm water fish are not native to a lot of lakes and are illigely (sorry i have no idea how to spell that) planted and wipe out the trout and kokanee populations. and besides that there are also just alot of people in Washington who like trout fishing and a lot of people would be very upset if there were few or no trout lakes in washington. but also killing off a lake means completely restarting and having no more holdovers or other large fish. and i dont even know if bass walleye and catfish are native. i dont know for sure so dont yell at me if i am wrong. finally there are bass lakes and there are trout and kokanee lakes and i think they should stay separate. there are some exceptions but for the most part that is the way i think it should be because the trout would have no problem surviving without bass and the like.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 13, 2008 7:03 pm

I understand your frustration.I've seen a few of my favorite lakes get killed off and then I have to wait 5-7 years to see anything decent. The state has to farm raise trout due to the fact of over fishing and lack of reproduction do to low oxygen levels. Don't ask the details of that,I have no clue.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed May 14, 2008 3:52 am

Yes a lot of lakes do get killed off just because the trout fishery is going down hill, and its is too bad. At some places they will shock and then net the bigger fish and either turn them into broodstock, or stock them in a nearby lake.

They seem to have there process all screwed up too. They have killed some lakes that (in my opinion) wernt worthy in getting killed off. Then I have fished lakes for years and only caught tiny bluegill, or no fish at all.

In most cases the state does use pretty good judgment when killing off the lakes. But it allways does revolve around trout. But with most lakes that get killed off it isnt because of a lack of fish, its because of an overpopulated lake. There just isnt enough food to support X amount of fish. So you will have 1000s and 1000s of 4" bluegill and thats about it.

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 am

I'll add my $0.02 worth. Lakes are killed off for various reasons. Usually there have been illegally introduced species (ie: yellow perch) into the lake. Lakes have a carrying capacity. This means that the lake under normal conditions will produce X amount of nutrients, these nutrients can support Y amount invertebrates, mullusks, fish etc. Most if not all of the "warm water species" (walleye, yellow perch, crappie and brook trout etc) are introduced species to the pacific northwest. The lakes in the pacific north west typically supported various trout (rainbow, cutthroat etc)species. If you take a typical lake, and it will support 30,000 rainbow trout (of all sizes) at its carriying capacity. By adding any other species you tip the balance of the lakes available nutirents. What usually happens is that you get a lot of small fish of all combined species and no one fishes the lake. Fishermen are funny that way, we all wanna catch "Big Fish". To put it in laymans terms: If you have a two car garage, and you can either park your Hummer in it or you can fit five Hyundias.

In order to follow the WSFW mandates which promote quality, fishable lakes for everyone. Most states and Provinces in Canada (and theres always an exception......) will "kill off" lakes which do not qualify as a "quality fishery" and then restock them with the appropriate fish species. This decision to kill the lake does not come lightly (and its expensive). There is attention taken to impacts of downstream water intakes, land use, negative impact to other species (ie: endangered species in the watershed being poisoned) etc.

Take it for what its worth, and enjoy the aggressive stocking & management program the Wa State has.
TTFN

Cheers The Chironomid Guy
The Chironomid Guy

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:01 pm

As far as your question about the long term effects of killing the lakes, the state uses a substance called rotenone. It saomehow wipes out the dissolved oxygen in the water causing the fish to suffocate. It is a natural substance found in the jungles of South America. The effects are usually passed in 3-4 days. It is also safe for secondary users of the dead fish, birds, mammals, etc. who feed on the carcasses because it has no toxins.

As far as whether or not it's right or a good idea. The state figures people want hatchery trout, and so the logic goes, that's why they buy a license. To go to the nearest stocked pond and enjoy a few days of stupid fish. Most of the hatchery fish will be dead within 4 days of release, and only the tinyest fraction of a percentage will survive the warm summer water. The fish are planted with the expectation of immediate death, so long term strategies are not high on the agenda.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:11 pm

gpc, chironimid and cavdad are on it.
WDFW manages most of our lakes to be Trout lakes. That's where the money is, and what most people probably fish for. So if the lakes are overrun with trash fish (ie carp, squaw) or any other warmwater fish that is in big numbers, it can really harm the ability of trout to survive. So the answer? Kill the lake off, restart again....

There was just an "imbalance of predator fish" as the WDFW put it. Thousands of carp and tench and other small warmwater species floated up when this occurred. Thousands and thousands....
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 14, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 14, 2008 7:22 pm

I should clarify my answer. I was answering the part about farm raised trout.#-o

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:26 pm

kevinb wrote:I should clarify my answer. I was answering the part about farm raised trout.#-o
That's more musky food for you Musky guys....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
kevinb wrote:I should clarify my answer. I was answering the part about farm raised trout.#-o
haha Maybe we should have farm raised squaw or carp:-"

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:17 am

juggalo wrote: :scratch: why does the department of fish and wildlife feel it necessary to kill off a lake just because certain fish are thriving.why do we care so much about trout which have to be raised in a hatchery in order to survive. EVOLUTION.I've seen studies where wild runs of salmon and steelhead have been decimated by the poor genetics of hatchery mates.fish like bass,catfish,bluegill,walleye,and perch taste better and pound for pound are more fun to catch.I'm not saying we should be irresponsible about manageing our fisheries,but what about the long term efects of poisoning our lakes.

can anyone explain to me who,why,when,and how they kill off these lakes/do they have discusions or hearings before they decide to kill thousands of fish?do the communities involved have any say?
A lot of what you say is your own personal preference such as to the taste of the fish and sport quality. Hatcheries are used because of the sheer overfishing that is done. If there was no hatchery plants the lakes would be wiped out. A lake is killed off because there was introduction of invasive species that is over competing for the nutrient load of the lake. Spiny rays take a lot longer to grow to decent sizes up here in our colder waters than they do down south. If my memory serves me correctly only cutthroat trout was native to NE washington lakes, rainbows were introduced....I couldnt find the source again so I may be incorrect. With that being said, all spiny rays (perch, bass, crappie, walleye, etc) were introduced, more likely illegally. To me there is no sport in catching perch or bluegill considering I've had many times when I've seen them bite a bare hook or sinkers. Spiny rays are also voracious eaters of small fry.....which is the size a lot of trout lakes are stocked with.

Artificial propogation w/hatchery raising has a higher success rate than natural propogation. I forget how much of a return my grandfather told me he used to get but it was by far greater than what you would see in nature. I believe it was in the 70% or better range. My grandfather (Gordon 'Ting' Baker) used to run the colville fish hatchery until the mid to late 80's. Unfortunately he passed away last october so Im unable to verify information with him. I do know he told me that fished killed with Rotenone could be eaten safely even right after it was applied. South American tribes would take the plant roots used to mat rotenon, smash em up, and put them in the water and then go pick up fish as they floated to the surface, which was how we came to discover rotenone. We an eat fish killed with it because the toxin is poory absorbed by the GI tract but it is greatly absorbed through the fish's gills. To put it simply, Rotenone disrupts cellular respiration (by interupting the electron transport chain). And as cavdad45 says, the chemical becomes inert after a few days. The long term damage comes from killing off a a portion of the nutrient load (other fish) that also produce waste which is a nutrient to plants, algae, etc. After the lakes are killed off, the following year they are usually stocked with broodstock, catchables, etc. The WDFW calls the practice of killing off a lake as rehabilitating it.

What I would like to see the WDFW do, prior to killing off the lake, is to remove all all restrictions on the lake ie no catch limits, and then kill the lake off a the end of the season...which they may already practice this. I do believe they usually announce which lakes will be killed off in advance.

Another thing I would like to see done is when the fish come to the top, collect them, and use them to feed the homeless...but Im sure some civil groups would have a hayday with that saying we are poisoning the homeless lol.

BTW, Im just going off what I know and have read online, I may be off on some things as Im not a biologist (but I did get an A in Biology 101 hehe). I would have went to be a Ichthyologist but I didnt want to go through that many years of school, move that far to go to school, and also it had a poor career outlook as far as I was concerned.......
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 15, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 am

kevinb wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:
haha Maybe we should have farm raised squaw or carp:-"
on a side note, did ya know that in Australia they have such a huge problem with an introduced carp that there is a company that pays a bounty on them and turns them into fertilizer. Maybe someone could make a business out of trash fish here lol.

http://www.charliecarp.com/environment.htm
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Personally, I'm not a big trout fisherman myself. I like to catch Bass, Crappie, Catfish, etc in fresh water. And, it seems like the state of Washington wildlife fish dept and some people in general are all about trout and helping them thrive. But, it drives me up the wall. People like to fish for a variety of fish not just trout and killing off a lake for one species of fish is fustrating to me. Maybe becuase I grew up in Ohio and fishermen there are not into trout as much, different strokes for different folks.
Go Huskies!

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 am

Hello juggalo and welcome to Washingtonlakes.com.

You asked, who decides what lakes are to be killed off?
The Biologists that work for you and me.

Is there a public discussion before the Kill off?
In most cases, its a done deal before any public notification.
Resort owners have some say in these matters at times.

Most often a lake will be killed off due to unwanted species.
Anything except Trout can be concidered a unwanted species.

I have heard many times on this site and others and from the WDFW, that the spiny rays are so much harder to raise than Trout. From my own personal experiance I do not agree. The Spiny Ray's are much hardier than the Trout.
In the 60s, we had a large shallow pond in the back pasture. My dad had it dug out so there was deep water in the middle so it would not dry up in the summer. This made a pretty good play ground for a kid like me. I attemted to stock this pond with Trout that I had caught from a creek some miles away. It diden't take long to learn that Trout do not transport very well in a bucket on a Bike, lol. I did manage after a few try's to get some home alive only to die when I put them in the pond.
I never did get any to survive. I did have much better success when I introduced the Spiny Rays. Largemouth Bass, Perch, Bluegill, Crappie and Catfish all survived and spawned in this little puddle. Now, before I am branded as a bucket Bioligest, keep in mind that I was very young and it was the 60s.

I am not here to bash on the Trout as they do have a place in my freezer but the Trout is not the top dog these days.
Bass, Walleye and even the lowly panfish has a bigger fan base across the country than our Trout.

We raise Trout in this State because thats what we are set up to raise in our hatcheries.
All of our hatcheries are set up with natural flowing water available which makes them perfect to raise Trout.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 am

As others have said "trout are the money fish", spiny rays are fertilizer fish (particularily on the westside). Every time the state has to clean out a lake due to the bucket brigades ILLEGAL plantings the $$$$ comes out of all of our pockets. Not every lake has to be trout only but not every lake has to have spiny rays either.
Life's short - fish hard!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri May 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Ruthven78, in most cases they do take the daily/size limit off the fish in a lake that they are going to rehab. But there is usually not much to take out of the lakes that they are rehabbing. Usually a bunch of stunted pan fish, a bunch of carp or no fish period. Sprague lakes an exception, they didn't kill sprague off for the lack of big fish, that lake was rehabbed because of all the carp so I know someone walked away happy with a bunch of fish from there.

It use to be when they killed of a lake you could walk down with a net and net all the fish you wanted and take them home and clean them. We use to know a guy who lived on clear lake, he said when they killed the lake off a while back him and his family had the bath tub filled with trout and were cleaning fish for hours. Now they wont even let the public with in a certain distance to the chemical because of liability reasons. The reporter from F&H news said on the first sprague kill off the reports were helping dump the chemical in the water. This time he said the biologists that were dumping the chemical were almost wearing hazmat suits, and they had to be a certain distance away.

ReelFisher
Petty Officer

Post by ReelFisher » Fri May 16, 2008 6:15 pm

Wow this topic is a very intresting one but I can tell you from personal experience growing up in warm water country in the mid-west that the predator fish not only limit the action on the water but destroy the quality of the water as well. I like the idea of killing off a lake and growing it from scratch. I have absolutley no idea of whats involved with the process of deciding which lake and when but it sounds like a good idea to keep the right fish thriving. As far as taste goes that is just personal opinion but I do think trout is a little bit of a wild/fish taste compared to others.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Mike Schmuck
Petty Officer

Post by Mike Schmuck » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Typically a lake is "rehabbed" if it is a trout lake and trout growth and/or survival has been impacted negatively by introduced species (e.g. yellow perch, bass, pumpkinseed, etc). Trout fishing is the #1 fishery in the state of Washington in terms of dollars spent; however somewhere around only 10% of the lakes in the state are dedicated to trout fishing. As stated, rotenone does not remove O2 from the water, it simply restricts a fish's ability to get oxygen from the water.

Lakes are typically in great shape once again in two years. Fish are planted the following spring and have good growth (due to no competition and high productivity). Park and Blue Lakes (grant county) are great fisheries this year and were rehabbed in 06.

There are public discussion prior to rehabs. We listen to everyone's concerns and attempt to alleviate those concerns.

Fish management in WA is very pro active. We do have dedicated warmwater teams whose mission is to manage and study the warmwater fisheries in the various regions. Current studies include bass diet studies, walleye management, tiger musky diet studies and radio telemetry. Crappie sampling to help us determine how to better manage our crappie waters.

We're always looking for volunteers as well. I work in Ephrata on the Region Two Warmwater Team. We have work to do this spring but unfortunately due to budget shortfalls we are unable to hire a technician. If anyone in the area would like to come out and see what it is all about feel free to give me a call.

509-745-4624 ext 27
509-750-8165 work cell

Good Fishing!!

Mike Schmuck
Fisheries Biologist
WDFW Region Two

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Tue May 20, 2008 7:41 am

Hey Mike,

Welcome to washingtonlakes.com and thanks alot for the great information. It is nice to get the "inside" perspective on the WDFW.

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Tue May 20, 2008 12:12 pm

Why can the state not hire 1 single technician? $50K isnt available for this, wow. However they will dish out thousands of dollars a year putting a bounty on pikeminnow? Or is that money coming from elsewhere.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 20, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...