Abu Garcia Revo SX reel

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Abu Garcia Revo SX reel

Post by hookorcrook » Tue May 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Anybody have any experience/ideas about these Revo reels? I like them because they are so light and compact, but have never owned anything Abu. I don't need anything that holds tons of line, cause I'm just fishing from a tube and really won't be casting too far. I just want something with a little more power than the 8 # spinning stuff I've been using. Something too throw cranks, spinnerbaits and heavier jigs. I'm feeling a little limited lately with my spinning outfit, and was told I can't get parts anymore for my older baitcasters.
Suzanne

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:Abu Garcia Revo SX reel

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue May 06, 2008 4:54 pm

I have used the Revo STX for quite a while now, and have no complaints. Has worked just fine for crankbaits, spinners, smaller (1/4oz.) jigs, and even a worm and bobber if need be.

I really like the low profile design...fits my hand quite a bit better than the round reels.

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

SilverLakeBoy
Petty Officer

Post by SilverLakeBoy » Tue May 06, 2008 9:18 pm

o MANNN!!! the revo reels are nice ill tell you. i always hold them and reel them when i go to the store but i cant afford one of those dang things:eye: sure wish i could. but go for it if you have the money hands down:-({|=

good luck

thanks, Casey
Flippn 'N' Pitchn is always the solution

"Never Give Up!" Mike Iaconelli

Caseysbaits.com Cutting Edge Custom Baits

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 am

leahcim_dahc wrote:I have used the Revo STX for quite a while now, and have no complaints. Has worked just fine for crankbaits, spinners, smaller (1/4oz.) jigs, and even a worm and bobber if need be.

I really like the low profile design...fits my hand quite a bit better than the round reels.

Chad
i have a stx as well - great reel. The SX model isnt that much different - im sure it will work great for ya hookem.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed May 07, 2008 1:32 pm

bpm2000 wrote:
leahcim_dahc wrote:I have used the Revo STX for quite a while now, and have no complaints. Has worked just fine for crankbaits, spinners, smaller (1/4oz.) jigs, and even a worm and bobber if need be.

Chad
i have a stx as well - great reel. The SX model isnt that much different - im sure it will work great for ya hookem.
Yeah, I think they're basically the same, a couple minor differences in the internal parts, specifically materials...but pretty much the same thing.

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

I've been doing a little research and it looks the the STX has a free spinning spool. maybe that's the difference between that and the SX? Anyway, it'll be on the top of my list. Thanks for the "hands on experience" info.

I think I need to go to Cabela's or somewhere like that where I can look and get a feel for all the reels in that price range, then decide. Outdoor Emporium doesn't carry all the ones I see in the BPS catalog. Catalogs are great, but I don't want to buy until I can check a range of them out.
Suzanne

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu May 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Check out Sportco, might have them there. I found mine at Joe's, so that might be a place to look, as well.

Chad
Chad

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Fri May 09, 2008 2:56 am

I just bought an S yesterday for $98 at sportsmans warehouse. I've used my buddies before which made me decide, comfortable to hold and very smooth. The other difference between the S and SX is the bearings, being the S has 9 and the SX has 11. I would pick one up and play with it and if you like it take a look on ebay. I've seen quite a bit of the SX models NIB for what I paid for my S model.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun May 18, 2008 11:16 am

I purchased a Browing Stalker from BPS and it is my favorite any more my Quantum doesn't see as much action after this the casting is great and longer then the Quantum I paid 75.00 for a combo.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!