Size of lure to the size of bass?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JT26
Commander

Size of lure to the size of bass?

Post by JT26 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Hey guys,
ive never really hooked a nice LMB, nothing over a lb. (have got some nice smallies at the columbia)
I want to go for them, and seriously target them this year, but when i go to the stores, the lures seem so big.
Like senkos, most of them are 5 inches, and that just seems way to big to me.
Im not targeting trophy bass, just something better than what ive been catching.

What do you guys think the smallest bass would be to hit a 5in senko, or a big crankbait, etc.?? (i dont know if there considered big, but the are big to me)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Size of lure to the size of bass?

Post by A9 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 pm

I've caught 8 inch bass on 5 inch senkos....

I've caught smallies on 3 and 4 inch wide body cranks, and the smallies don't even hit 8 inches....

They'll hit anything. Don't worry about the size of the bait. Many bass fishermen only throw big stuff....7+ inch worms, big swimbaits, big cranks, big buzzbaits, all look HUGE in the store but when you get real familiar with bass fishing and have seen/caught a few big ones, pretty soon you'll wonder why you ever thought 3 and 4 inch grubs looked huge...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue May 06, 2008 7:52 pm

Small baits have there place also! So on the other side of things sometimes small baits are the ticket for big fish!!
I just thought I would say that you should size down in clear water conditions fish tend to be a little more spooky. But generally the average bait will catch all size of fish.

My two cents,
TAZ
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue May 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Don't be intimidated on the size of baits. Especially largies, those things can inhale anything. Five inch senkos can be taken from dink bass easily, I use to use seven inch senkos just to get rid of the smaller bass. Another popular baits for largies is 10-inch worms, those will catch you quality fish.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:42 pm

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 06, 2008 8:45 pm

When it comes to LMB don't ever let the size of the bait mislead you. I have caught small bass on big baits (just like Kafelafish's post above). If you feel overwhelmed by the size of the baits try something like Roboworms or a 4" Yamamoto cut tail on the D-shot.
Good luck out there JT26.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 pm

bass are super aggresive. heres one from a few years ago.
Attachments
another_finwick_bass.jpg
another_finwick_bass.jpg (67.25 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Tue May 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (198.15 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SilverLakeBoy
Petty Officer

Post by SilverLakeBoy » Tue May 06, 2008 9:13 pm

trust the guys and me...you would be suprised, and i hope you hook into a good one man. get some stuff and go for it.

good luck.

thanks, Casey
Flippn 'N' Pitchn is always the solution

"Never Give Up!" Mike Iaconelli

Caseysbaits.com Cutting Edge Custom Baits

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 pm

JT26 wrote:Hey guys,
ive never really hooked a nice LMB, nothing over a lb. (have got some nice smallies at the columbia)
I want to go for them, and seriously target them this year, but when i go to the stores, the lures seem so big.
Like senkos, most of them are 5 inches, and that just seems way to big to me.
Im not targeting trophy bass, just something better than what ive been catching.

What do you guys think the smallest bass would be to hit a 5in senko, or a big crankbait, etc.?? (i dont know if there considered big, but the are big to me)
I've had bass smaller than my 5" senko try to munch it down and they got caught.

The first time I fished for smallies, I caught 3 back to back to back but they were small. So I steped up in size from a 4" robo to the next size up and casted it out. This is what tried to eat it:

You'll get over it soon enough. :cheers:

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue May 06, 2008 10:35 pm

lots of people use smaller finess worms but I like to use 7.5 the smallest 12in the largest worms.when I am fishing and all I'm catching is small bass I'll switch to 10-10.5in worms the smaller bass will try but can't eat them I will cast more but the fish you catch is worth it.4years ago I went back home to fl went fishing with the guy who taught me to bass fish.He was hooked on 7.5 worms and I had been with 10in he caught more 1-2 pounders but I was catching 3-6 pounders so I think size dose make larger fish bite larger baits.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

quickfish12
Petty Officer

Post by quickfish12 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:07 pm

The size of baits that you use will vary a great deal. I've caught some very nice largemougth on small finesse jigs. If it looks good to them and is in their face they'll probably eat it.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:38 pm

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but i think i've just caught the record smallest bass. I know that pic makes it look a little bigger than it is, but that jigs just a little crappie jig about 1.5 inch long.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:28 pm

This past weekend I caught a few dinks 12in bass on a 12in worm. I have seen some guys in Fl using big squid baits bass fishing. They used them like a tube bait. But I think they were going for big ones.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Caught a few 4 inch bass on 4 inch curly tail worms last night....I've landed some 2 inchers using little chunks of nightcrawlers while fishing for perch.....

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:15 am

JT26 wrote:Sorry to bring up an old topic, but i think i've just caught the record smallest bass. I know that pic makes it look a little bigger than it is, but that jigs just a little crappie jig about 1.5 inch long.

I don't know...

Here's a pic of my smallest bass -- and I was holding it out toward the camera which makes them look bigger!

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:36 am

"The Bigger you go the Bigger they come" is what I think normally happens,..but are Bass normal? I think not,..just super agressive and greedy fish,..LOL,..caught my first dink on a Spinner bigger than him! I say just have some Larger bait handy and see what the Bass want,...have fun!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:36 am

I think its funny every one shows the little bass there catching look at there lours of course there going to catch little bass. The big bass want big lours!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:24 am

:-k HHHMMMM,..Big Lures,..Lil Lures,..what to throw,..what to throw,..!
"Passion-4-Bassin"