Trolling Flys

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
koryrasmussen55
Petty Officer

Trolling Flys

Post by koryrasmussen55 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:50 pm

I want to try to troll some flys but I'm not sure how to rig them. Any advice or illustrations would be greatly appreciated. Also suggestions on what type of flys to you would be useful.

02bluestang
Angler

RE:Trolling Flys

Post by 02bluestang » Mon May 05, 2008 7:37 pm

Its hard to get the right presentation on a spin cast pole vs an actual fly rod....best bet would be to get some weights that crimp onto your line (small beads) and then run a 8-14" leader with a fly attached to it...again its just a different feel without a fly rod...

I went to Blackmans on Sunday 5/4 and fished a wet fly line with a green Jameson Shrimp (olive body with deer hair on top to create a head and a longer tail)...also did one that had the same coloring with some red feelers....I ended up catching 36 rainbows in about 5 hours and had over 60 strikes...

You should learn how to fly fish, you dont really need to know how to cast if you plan on trolling a fly....just let the line out and the speed of the boat will take it back to the fish...plus, its 100x more fun playing with a fish on a fly pole than a spin cast, even the smaller buggers can give you a good fight

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Mon May 05, 2008 8:35 pm

02bluestang wrote:
You should learn how to fly fish, you dont really need to know how to cast if you plan on trolling a fly....just let the line out and the speed of the boat will take it back to the fish...plus, its 100x more fun playing with a fish on a fly pole than a spin cast, even the smaller buggers can give you a good fight
Amen to that! I run a 9 foot 5WT Drake rod with a 5WT Okuma reel. What I would say is this: make sure you remember this formula if you pick up the sport. Fly Line Weight = Rod Weight = Reel Weight. Do not go 4WT on the rod and then 7WT on the reel and 5WT on the line...that's a disaster waiting to happen. For area lakes I like 5WT - so in my case I go 5WT Rod, %WT reel, and 5WT intermediate/full sinking line/floating line. I run 2 reels with sinking line...type IV and III and another reel with full floating line. Each to a specific depth. It's pretty easy to take up, but you'll have to have some patience. Here is a great article that is simple to understand and aimed at the beginner looking to get into the sport of fly fishing:

http://www.flyfishinggear.info/buyers_g ... guide.shtm

I out fish the bait guys 3:1 using flies and it's a heck of fight too. It's an absolute blast! Of course we're talking about streamers and nymphs here (fishing wise on the troll), but dries are more challenging, but also more rewarding. PM me if you need anymore info Kory...it's all I do know rather than all that nasty powerbait and fish being killed on accident. With flies, most all your fish survive for another day. It's so fun! Tight lines!

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 05, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Tue May 06, 2008 9:00 am

kutthroatkilla wrote:What I would say is this: make sure you remember this formula if you pick up the sport. Fly Line Weight = Rod Weight = Reel Weight. Do not go 4WT on the rod and then 7WT on the reel and 5WT on the line...that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Actually KTK, if you have a light rod like a 3 or 4 wt and put 6wt line on it you will find it much easy to cast. Not many people know this but it is true. The extra weight of the heavier line makes it easy to shoot.
Pressin' Fish On!

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Tue May 06, 2008 5:38 pm

One trick I like to do is bring out a small spinning reel with me.When I want to try something else beside a fly,I take off the fly reel and put on the spinning reel.It feels a little strange when casting and reeling but that limber action of the flyrod is awesome .That way I only need to bring one pole with me in the floattube and a small box of lures.I like to troll more than just sit there and wait,this way I doubled my options with less gear.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Tue May 06, 2008 5:53 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:One trick I like to do is bring out a small spinning reel with me.When I want to try something else beside a fly,I take off the fly reel and put on the spinning reel.It feels a little strange when casting and reeling but that limber action of the flyrod is awesome .That way I only need to bring one pole with me in the floattube and a small box of lures.I like to troll more than just sit there and wait,this way I doubled my options with less gear.
Either that or buy an extra spool for your reel. I like the Okuma SLV45 for about $55.00. Quality reel.

Enjoy!

KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros