catching and eating carp!!!!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
panfisher
Captain

catching and eating carp!!!!

Post by panfisher » Fri May 25, 2007 9:17 am

other states actually sell in carp in the stores mostly smoked. i did like the taste of them smoked, never cared to eat them the way i prepared them otherwise. any better ways to prep an cook them from washington waters? i was fishingthe wasteway system years back and came along this older gent fishing for them. figured i'd help him out with a few. i caught 5 carp and gave them to him. thought maybe i was a good carp fisherman the way he was praiseing me untill he open up his beatup camper door and threw them on top of about 20-30 fish. i still lol when i think of it, he was probably doing the same, only at me when i left. whats your carp thoughts? how do you like to fish them? i feel that if they if their population can be minimized the panfish population would be helped especially in the moses lake potles areas. a crp trap in the wasteways would seem to be one way. any thoughts on this?

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

RE:catching and eating carp!!!!

Post by fishunt83 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:09 am

The ranch market down the street from my house sells small carp...but then again its a asian market... My budedies and I head over to the Moses Lake are to do some carp shooting. We find them in the wasteways and sometimes in the lake and shoot them with our Bows...aka Bowfishing. We dont keep them. I think they are a disgusting fish.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri May 25, 2007 8:39 pm

Carp are one of the boniest fish there are. When I lived down in Cali the Hispanics would fish for them all the time. I asked once how they prepared them since they always kept there fish. A guy told me that he would ground up the fish meat, bones and all, and make meatball sized balls out of the mush and deep fry them.
Give it a try guys, I'll take your word on wether or not it's good.

Carp are great fighting fish for about a min. then they give up. On light line they can be a fun sport fish. But to me they are the cockroaches of freshwater. (sorry carp lovers) They can take over a body of water pretty quick due to their high reproductive rate. But they don't compete with other predatory fish because they are bottom feeding grass eaters for the most part even though they are omnivorous. They do live for about 50 years, so they can get huge.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 25, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri May 25, 2007 9:17 pm

This thread reminded me of something. This guy I knew from another fishing forum (in Cali) goes out all the time and bowfishes tilapia and carp. I went out with him once to check out his spots and see him in action. Simply amazing! A weird guy but full of fishing knowledge. His tag name on that board is Carpholeo and his dogs name is Shayla. He would stick a carp with his arrow and reel it in with a home made rope reel on his bow and his dog would grab the carp at the shore and just tear the sh!t out of the fish. He would do this over and over again and the dog loved it. He would just leave the carcass there because he didn't like carp much at all. Crazy stuff!

fishnislife
Attachments
Carpdog1.jpg
Carpdog1.jpg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Carpdog5.jpg
Carpdog5.jpg (119.12 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
Carpholeo_carpdog.jpg
Carpholeo_carpdog.jpg (100.53 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 25, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Sat May 26, 2007 12:23 am

Those pictures are a bit crazy. I don't really agree with wasting any fish no matter what it is.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat May 26, 2007 9:20 am

you can make anything taste good mixed with alot of spices so grounding up the fish would be a good way to eat cerp. as for throwing the carp on the bank to die is not a good idea its no different than throwing a beer bottle on the ground so if you guys are leaving the fish where others will walk or have to smell the rotting carcass's you are trashing our lakes and streams its illegal. i can remember stepping on those fish bones when i was a kid. i've raised 4 kids of my own and can remember some family outings along some lakes were the stink was so bad from those carcass's that we could not enjoy those areas.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun May 27, 2007 10:06 pm

I agree, those pictures are pretty disturbing. Although I did waste carp in my youth (throwing them on the banks), I won't consider doing that anymore and would never teach my kids that practise.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon May 28, 2007 3:14 am

fishnislife wrote:They do live for about 50 years, so they can get huge.

fishnislife
Something that has been alive for so long should never be ruthelessly killed, and discarded as trash. Carp are a staple fish throughout north america, although they may not be sought after as food fish, they are bioacumulators that contribute in a very positive way to their freshwater ecosystems. There is no reason that removing a living being from the water only to kill it, and leave it to rot should be deemed socially/morally acceptable](*,)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 28, 2007 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon May 28, 2007 7:23 am

I sure hope you guys are intelligent enough to read the entire report without making assumptions. Some of you have said you, as implying that I'm the one who does this. I do not and would not! If you read the entire post you will understand that I went out with this character once to see what he was all about. I thought that it was interesting how his dog loved to tear the crap out of these fish. As far as leaving the fish there to rot.....well I'm not one to judge others harshly so I'll stop there. Next time I will choose to share memories more wisely. Sorry.

fishnislife

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon May 28, 2007 10:07 am

i don't think that we are implying anything specifically towards you personally. the thoughts and pictures you were willing to share just made more topics to talk about. thanks.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon May 28, 2007 11:37 am

Sounds good panfisher. I just didn't want any bad feeling directed at me for what someone else chooses to do.
It's all good.

fishnisife

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 am

When I said "you" I meant, To whom it may concern. You can mean anyone, I wasn't directing it at anyone specifically, but if you're a person who does waste fish, then it is directed at you. #-o
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Mon May 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Matt wrote:

fishnislife
Something that has been alive for so long should never be ruthelessly killed, and discarded as trash. Carp are a staple fish throughout north america, although they may not be sought after as food fish, they are bioacumulators that contribute in a very positive way to their freshwater ecosystems. There is no reason that removing a living being from the water only to kill it, and leave it to rot should be deemed socially/morally acceptable](*,)
Carp are not totally harmless to ecosystems by any stretch. Their huge weight and massive populations significantly increase the amount of waste in the water, reducing water quality. Also, they root around on the bottom and stir up sediment, again reducing water quality and damaging vegetation that is crucial for other fish species. In smaller bodies of water, carp have been known to invade and multiply to such a level that they eat up every bit of food in the lake, killing off other fish and even making it so waterfowl can't live there. They're often seen as a problem fish and several lakes in Washington have been poisoned to kill them. I believe that carp are the reason for hybrid muskies being stocked in Newman and Silver lakes as well. Some carp is a good thing, but they have no natural predators in Washington lakes, so their populations go unchecked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carp#Carp_as_pests
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 28, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon May 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Nik wrote:
Matt wrote:

fishnislife
Carp are not totally harmless to ecosystems by any stretch. Their huge weight and massive populations significantly increase the amount of waste in the water, reducing water quality. Also, they root around on the bottom and stir up sediment, again reducing water quality and damaging vegetation that is crucial for other fish species. In smaller bodies of water, carp have been known to invade and multiply to such a level that they eat up every bit of food in the lake, killing off other fish and even making it so waterfowl can't live there. They're often seen as a problem fish and several lakes in Washington have been poisoned to kill them. I believe that carp are the reason for hybrid muskies being stocked in Newman and Silver lakes as well. Some carp is a good thing, but they have no natural predators in Washington lakes, so their populations go unchecked.

Carp are definately not an asset to the ecosystem in North America. They were intoduced to the northwest in the 1880's. Since then they have done extensive damage to our waters. Now I dont agree with just leaving them on the bank for obvious reasons but some biologists do think that you should not through them back. So if you dont have the stomach to eat them but do not want them destroying the water quality try disposing of them in the nearest garbage can rather than making a mess of the shore line.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Mon May 28, 2007 4:55 pm

Nik wrote:
Matt wrote:

fishnislife

I agree with planting more sterile Tiger Muskies instead of poisoning the lakes. I'd also like to know who keeps transporting carp into our lakes. I've seen a couple of Carp in Lake Washington that were over 40" long.=;
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 28, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:07 pm

Go to Green Lake any you'll be surrounded with plenty of people who enjoy carp....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue May 29, 2007 9:46 am

i've seen carp ruin small lakes and they are a big problem to the panfisheriesin the midwest. thats were the carp traps come into play. helps keep the population from spreading through the river systems on into the lakes. i've seen them trash bluegill spawning areas. when i do catch one i'll bring it home and put it in my garden dirt. i probably should try smoking them because i did like them that way. maybe i'll make it a point to try a fishball reciepe this year!!!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed May 30, 2007 10:10 am

I know they eat them all the time in england and they have this dough bait they make I cant remember what its called but they have recepies to make the bait. In moses lake they have a carp shoot and they give all the carp to a fertilizer company, but every year there would be a truck with there and two asians filling the bed of the truck up. I went and talked to them and they said they own a resturant and they pickle them. I asked about the bones and they acted as if they didint know what I was talking about

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Wed May 30, 2007 10:13 pm

they root around in the shallows making the the waters muddy. this covers the spawning grounds of fish, plus the muddy water heats up. i feel its one of the reasons the panfish populations have diminished in some of our lakes. the bones practically disolve when you pickle fish, i like herring this way, maybe i'll find someone to pickle some up!! <')//<

Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Thu May 31, 2007 12:34 am

I think the dog ripping those carp up is pretty damn funny. Id like to see a muskie attack a carp. I know they are put in Lake Tapps too for the overpopulation and problems they cause. I saw the carp doing their dirtywork of rooting up the ground in the shallow water of 1-2 feet where i was as the lake was rising. They were quick to invade the area after it had recently filled up. Some guy even recommended for me to go kill them with a baseball bat and said hed do it if he really wanted to cuz they aren't good for the ecosystem. If anyone would freak out for me saying this dont worry cuz i havent touched a carp and im not interested in catching any. Good fertilizer for the banks anyways....
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 31, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jimmy