Conconully help

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
SDAngler
Petty Officer

Conconully help

Post by SDAngler » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:50 am

My wife and I are planning to hit up Conconully for the opener and we have never been to that part of the state so I have a few questions. I was wondering how the weather usually is for camping this time of year? Also, if we aren't staying at one of the resorts can we still rent boats from them? Last, any advice or info you might have would be greatly appreciated. I would love to camp but I am afraid it might be too cold or full, we are planning on getting there Thursday evening May 1st and staying for two or three days. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

RE:Conconully help

Post by SmokinAces » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Conconully is absolutely amazing!!! You will have such a great time, trust me! The weather can be anything from very cold to a sunny 70, so you should be prepared for a little bit of anything. With this being said, yes I believe you can rent boats from the resorts without staying at them. Must of the people fishing there will be plunking powerbait which can be productive for fish anywhere from 10-20+ inches. I prefer fishing the reservoir instead of the lake, but that’s just my opinion. There is a little local market/store there in which you can get a ton of information from. They can key you in on which like body of water is producing better. With this being said, I would just recommend that you try to stay away from the crowds. There are so many fish in these lakes that you honestly can't go wrong with any spot. I like hiking down to the end of the reservoir and sitting out on a big rock and drinking some beers. (Remember to pick up after yourself) Nonetheless, you’re in for one hell of an opener. Best of luck to you and let us know how you do. PM me if you want so more info.

Oh, you might also want to check other peoples fishing reports for that area on different years. All the same techniques should apply.
Pressin' Fish On!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:50 pm

I have never fished the conconullys (unfortunatly) but heres what I think. I would say that the resort will still rent you a boat ( I have never been turned down for not staying at the resort). But either get it early or try to make some reservations on it. Same with the camping, getting there thursday, there should still be spots open but I would imagine the good spots will allready be picked over. This is one of the better opening day lakes in the state. Cold, oh yeah it will get cold at night. But your crossing the cascades so rain shouldnt be an issue, and thats what makes "bad weather". I have been camping since the March 1st opener, just bring LOTS OF WOOD, a couple sleeping bags and extra clothes. I think the fishing will make up for the cold weather. Good luck

huntncoug
Angler

Post by huntncoug » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:03 pm

We always stay at the Liars Cove on the lower lake, but I have rented a boat at the resort on the upper lake so I know you can rent a boat there without staying there. However, if you camp at Liars Cove you can use there dock. People on the dock always, always outfish the people in boats.

Fish On!
Petty Officer

Post by Fish On! » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:12 pm

If you're getting there May 1st you'll be missing the opener as it's the previous weekend. April 26 is opening day. There won't be that many people around on May 1st and you won't have any problem renting a boat at the resorts. There are a gazillion fishing reports from both lakes and if you believe them all I have some swamp land in Arizona I'll sell you cheap!....:) There is some good fishing, but give me a break!

There are a number of good lakes in the area, so don't limit yourself. Fish Lake is nearby and should have some excellent fish after it was rehabbed several years ago. There is plenty of free camping and good bank fishing. We've had a cold winter and very cold spring, so I wouldn't expect this years fish to be all that big. Good luck.

SDAngler
Petty Officer

Post by SDAngler » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Really appreciate all the info guys. I am looking forward to seeing that part of the state almost as much as the fishing. Will post a report when I get back. Thanks again.