Spawning Anywhere?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishingmachine
Admiral

RE:Spawning Anywhere?

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks BBD for clearing this up and letting everyone else know i was not lying hahaha

BLACKLAB
Petty Officer

Post by BLACKLAB » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:09 pm

BBD.....we all know you snagged that fish in the butt. [-x Just kiddin. BBD can fish and he does not stretch the truth. There always that one fish that does something "strange" every season. Good job though. :thumleft:

BassTracker16
Angler

Post by BassTracker16 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:50 pm

ChrisB yeah that was more than likely me.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 am

BassTracker16 wrote:ChrisB yeah that was more than likely me.
Right on.
aka Powerworm

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 am

Doesn't the male prepare the bed almost as soon as he comes out of winter lethargy. Then the females start staging/prespawn. Also he said the male was in/near a creek, could the creek water temp been warmer then the lake. Not likely but possible.
Well its not called Catching!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:17 pm

eustace wrote:Doesn't the male prepare the bed almost as soon as he comes out of winter lethargy. Then the females start staging/prespawn. Also he said the male was in/near a creek, could the creek water temp been warmer then the lake. Not likely but possible.

Eustace , your correct in bass about staging patterns and prespawn activity ..and my thought process that made me go back there to the shallow waters was in fact based around warmer water temps ...however after dupicating the same pattern in another creek with also showed visable beds i found not one other bass doing the same thing .. That is why i think that the one lmb was just one "confused" fish , or just just up sunning in shallow water ... :-" ..I personaly dont do any sight fishing "with intent" , dont get me wrong if i happen to see a bass cruising the shallows im on her like a stalker ..lol ... I have seen guys on water riding there trolling motor and looking for bass that way .. I mainly follow patterns based on time of year , dept of water , and typical stagging areas .. If im not producing any bites i than base my approach based on whats going on with current weather patterns for that day .. Im a FIRM believer in the theory that bass are not always doing what there suppose too based on the time of year ... With that being said , always remember to say open minding about strategy and different presentations every time your one lake and dont get fustarted with what not working . The next time time your out on the lake after a tuff day on the lake ask yourself this one question . What would a pro bass fisherman accomplish if he fished today ? .. Go home and get on line and find out , because they face every single obstacle and adversity the could possibly occur on any body of water , and yet THEY STILL PRODUCE . BBD :-"

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

SilverLakeBoy
Petty Officer

Post by SilverLakeBoy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:21 pm

well i think the fish are starting up at silver. my friend caught a 4.9 today just kicking back and relaxing with his pole just sitting there fish for whatever and she was full of eggs!

Casey
Flippn 'N' Pitchn is always the solution

"Never Give Up!" Mike Iaconelli

Caseysbaits.com Cutting Edge Custom Baits

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm

I saw a nice bass on a bed at a local lake this week.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:19 pm

I think what is happening now are bass moving into the shallows to build energy in the sun/warmer water.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:51 am

Friday afternoon I took my daughter to catch some trout in a series of borrow ponds north of Salem. These lakes/ponds have a large population of stunted panfish and tons of bass under two-pounds. My biggest to date was 3-1/2 pounds about 12 years ago.

As we were walking the miles of shoreline, it was evident that the water was warming because of the schools of bream in the shallows, but no dink bass that we normally see. We approached one of many blowdowns and I spotted her... the largest bass I have ever seen in that lake system. She was shallow with less than an inch of water covering her back and she was facing the shore. Not on a bed. Not doing anything more than absorbing the suns rays.

After a dozen flips with a brush hog on a weightless hook, she finally sucked up the bait and I landed her. She was just shy of six pounds. 5.9 on the digiscale. First bass of the year, finally, after all the sucky weather. My daughter and I released her and on our way back a couple hours later, she was in the same spot in the sun.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:34 pm

cavdad45 wrote:Friday afternoon I took my daughter to catch some trout in a series of borrow ponds north of Salem. These lakes/ponds have a large population of stunted panfish and tons of bass under two-pounds. My biggest to date was 3-1/2 pounds about 12 years ago.

As we were walking the miles of shoreline, it was evident that the water was warming because of the schools of bream in the shallows, but no dink bass that we normally see. We approached one of many blowdowns and I spotted her... the largest bass I have ever seen in that lake system. She was shallow with less than an inch of water covering her back and she was facing the shore. Not on a bed. Not doing anything more than absorbing the suns rays.

After a dozen flips with a brush hog on a weightless hook, she finally sucked up the bait and I landed her. She was just shy of six pounds. 5.9 on the digiscale. First bass of the year, finally, after all the sucky weather. My daughter and I released her and on our way back a couple hours later, she was in the same spot in the sun.
good job Cavdad , yeah i thought is was just me be these bass are so confused right now .. i have noticed that they are not all going the same thing and thats appling to dinks and pounders / and yes they are just relating to only wood and extreme shallow water / I almost get the impression that there intent is to come up for suning but once they are geting in the shallows the water temp is perfect for the to begin there spawnig .. so is this to say it's one of those situations were anglers would Say that the "spawn is poor" due to the weather conditions ? .. what do you think .. #-o .BBD

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:52 pm

I think these bass are using the sun to charge their batteries before they move to the deeper water to feed.
I have seen bass sunning them selves many times they need that extra energy to feed.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
cavdad45 wrote:Friday afternoon I took my daughter to catch some trout in a series of borrow ponds north of Salem. These lakes/ponds have a large population of stunted panfish and tons of bass under two-pounds. My biggest to date was 3-1/2 pounds about 12 years ago.

good job Cavdad , yeah i thought is was just me be these bass are so confused right now .. i have noticed that they are not all going the same thing and thats appling to dinks and pounders / and yes they are just relating to only wood and extreme shallow water / I almost get the impression that there intent is to come up for suning but once they are geting in the shallows the water temp is perfect for the to begin there spawnig .. so is this to say it's one of those situations were anglers would Say that the "spawn is poor" due to the weather conditions ? .. what do you think .. #-o .BBD
I think it's early for the spawn not because of the calendar, but mainly because we are a month behind of our spring warm-up. I think the water temps should begin to rise quickly soon and the fish will go into their traditional spawning routines, but the behavior we're seeing now usually is a mid-March pattern rather than a pre-spawn pattern. Bottom line, the water is just beginning to warm and bass are moving to the sunny spots for the heat.

I think we will have a shorter spawning season, unless these fronts keep busting through, then the bass may skip it all together and the females will absorb their roe. We'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping for a short spawning season at the end of May or early June.

By the way, BBD, the females in the shallows almost always relate to wood (when available) until they actually are enticed by a buck to go to a bed. They use the wood, to rub there belly and ventral areas. Either to make egg release easier or like most ladies when they are pregnant, it's simply itchy stretch marks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:49 pm

cavdad45 wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:

I think it's early for the spawn not because of the calendar, but mainly because we are a month behind of our spring warm-up. I think the water temps should begin to rise quickly soon and the fish will go into their traditional spawning routines, but the behavior we're seeing now usually is a mid-March pattern rather than a pre-spawn pattern. Bottom line, the water is just beginning to warm and bass are moving to the sunny spots for the heat.:colors:

I think we will have a shorter spawning season, unless these fronts keep busting through, then the bass may skip it all together and the females will absorb their roe. We'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping for a short spawning season at the end of May or early June.

By the way, BBD, the females in the shallows almost always relate to wood (when available) until they actually are enticed by a buck to go to a bed. They use the wood, to rub there belly and ventral areas. Either to make egg release easier or like most ladies when they are pregnant, it's simply itchy stretch marks.

Wow didn't know that about the bass relating to wood C-Dad , that is interesting man , thanks ! .. it's just been one of those things that i keep in the back of my head from past post spawn fishing , i assumed that the wood absorb the heat and offered protection for the bass as well as a great ambush area .. cool .. lol dude i missed your deep wisdom over the winter , good chatting wit ya again . :cheers:

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:17 pm

I missed it, too, Bro.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:23 pm

so is it safe to say that the bass are starting to move up shallow and should be worth fishing for right now cause i have a secret lake that is at max 10 feet deep so i imagine it is warmer would it be a good idea to fish it

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Oh yeah! Fish it in the afternoon after the sun has warmed it and fish the northwest section first. It has had the most sunlight on it.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:34 pm

C-dad did you get a pic with that big boy ? i havent hooked into a 5+ since last july i almost forgot what one looks like ..lol :-"

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:38 pm

Sorry, I wasn't intending to bass fish so I just had a little lunch sack tackle bag with bare bones it. I was supposed to be helping my little girl catch trout. Ha! Ha! She wants a bass so bad now, but with her broken arm she can only handle stocker fish.

The reason I got the camera was to get better bass shots, then like a genius I leave it home.#-o

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Sounds good i will give it a shot and let u guys know how i do and i would think the bass could be in prespawn due to the shalowness of the lake or may even be on beds as the water should be around 55+.