The Future of WashingtonLakes.com

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:The Future of WashingtonLakes.com

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:03 pm

I wasn't aware of any other site with good reliable information:-s

Maybe when I searched Google for "Fishing Washington State" I didn't scroll down far enough to see another site.

:-k Hmmm, #2 hit right after WDFW. You must be doing something right, Mike & Aaron!:thumright

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:03 pm

I wasn't aware of any other site with good reliable information:-s

Maybe when I searched Google for "Fishing Washington State" I didn't scroll down far enough to see another site.

:-k Hmmm, #2 hit right after WDFW. You must be doing something right, Mike & Aaron!:thumright
Attachments
Google_Search_1.tiff.jpg
Google_Search_1.tiff.jpg (213.04 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:14 pm

try "fishing lakes in Washington" I believe we are #uno.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:32 am

:salut:
Mike Carey wrote:
fishing collector wrote::-k Would like to see some ads and revenue coming in from local businesses like Cabellas, Joes, Sportco etc. We spend a lot of money at their establishments...Fishing and hunting news should give us a break on subscriptions. In fact I got a 2 year sub for F&H news thru ebay and only cost $23.00...Couldn't find it now... By getting something back we will break even on the yearly rates..... We could do a test of new gear or baits for local Washington Companies. Fishing derbies are a Fantastic idea.... Get donations from companies... Kids derby and dock derby Trout, Bass, Salmon.etc.... We really have a lot to offer and shouldn't let it pass us by. Only a suggestion....Something to think about:-k
Thanks for the suggestions.

Finding sponsors could be a fulltime job all by itself. Neither Aaron nor I are salesmen and are out of our element trying to sell to potential advertisers. We've have had some success over the years. Also, we both work fulltime, both have families - there's only so much a guy can do.

I spose hiring a commisioned salesperson or someone who would work for fishing lures might work......Good luck at all that you guys do....so far I am impressed and looking forward to the new site

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:43 pm

Today has been slower than normal. It probably has something to do with the weather outside. :) I took a pack of 6yr old Cub Scouts on a hike today to find a GeoCache. It was loads of fun.

To combat the lack of fresh content on the forums today, here's a preview of the new Activity Alerts page. You can sign up for alerts that will notify you of new content on the site (Lake/River/Saltwater Reports, Videos, Maps, Articles, News Updates and anything else I can think of...)
Attachments
ActivityAlerts.jpg
ActivityAlerts.jpg (127.27 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Very nice!=d>
That is going to be a useful feature!!!!!!!!=d>

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:09 pm

OK you can stop teasing us now.:-# Pesornaly Im really looking forward to the new upgrade.Got the membership money burning a hole in my pocket.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:48 am

shawn wrote:OK you can stop teasing us now.:-# Pesornaly Im really looking forward to the new upgrade.Got the membership money burning a hole in my pocket.
Aaron isn't really teasing. I have been to OZ, looked behind the curtain and seen the wizard at work:cheers: He has such a huge load of work in this upgrade, it is taking a bit longer. Be patient, the wait will be well worth it.:thumright
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:38 pm

Yet another slow day in the forums... here's a little more of that juicy teaser material... This is the HotSpot Browser. With it, you can locate lakes, boat launches, and view the HotSpot information. I know a lot of people are really looking forward to this part of the upgrade (and some not). One thing I think I need to make clear is that in the first few weeks after we launch the new site, this tool will be mostly empty except for the lakes and boat launches. We can't display HotSpots until they are provided.
Attachments
HotSpotBrowser.jpg
HotSpotBrowser.jpg (110.35 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:41 pm

I was just wondering how the annual fees would work. Would your membership expire exactly a year from the date when you purchased the membership? Or would it be like the fishing licences, where there is a set expiration date? $18 a year is very reasonable, just tell me when we can start paying.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:49 pm

It will expire 1 year from purchase. Believe me gpc, you'll know when it's time.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 pm

Whoa!! The site isn't even up yet and you post 2 of my hotspots already#-o

Have you been watching me from shore Aaron?:tongue:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am

Awoods wrote:Im real excited about the "hotspots" addition. I like to go to new lakes, and always wonder where a good spot to fish is and this will solve my problem. Im sure the update will be worth every penny plus some.
I like this idea too. I think I would tell people hot fishing lakes. But only a few actual hot spots. I try to share as much good info,but occasionally I get burned. I go back to one of my spots and find it destroyed. But I'll try not to let a few bad apples ruin it for everyone else.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:08 pm

gpc wrote:I was just wondering how the annual fees would work. Would your membership expire exactly a year from the date when you purchased the membership? Or would it be like the fishing licences, where there is a set expiration date? $18 a year is very reasonable, just tell me when we can start paying.
I agree. With yearly dues to the website, this site is soon to become the best fishing website in the whole world:cheers: :cheers: Or is it already?
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 am

I love everything I have seen so far!

The membership prices I have seen so far have been fair. It seems you are going away from having a lifetime membership option, is that true?
Aaron wrote:I've included a nice spell checker that will actually check the spelling of our fishing lingo. Admins will be able to add words to the dictionary so common words like lunker, bobber, rapala.. etc..
I have seen on other sites, where words can be highlited, and when you pass the mouse/cursor over the word, a little box of information pops up.

For those that might not know the definition of fishing lingo. Would it be possible to do something like that, with the definition of each word (just for the ones that aren't in the dictionary of course).

So, that when a newbie reads a report that says "Fished for an hour and caught this lunker trout!" they could pass the wand over the work lunker and have a definition of the word?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:I love everything I have seen so far!

The membership prices I have seen so far have been fair. It seems you are going away from having a lifetime membership option, is that true?
Aaron wrote:I've included a nice spell checker that will actually check the spelling of our fishing lingo. Admins will be able to add words to the dictionary so common words like lunker, bobber, rapala.. etc..
I have seen on other sites, where words can be highlited, and when you pass the mouse/cursor over the word, a little box of information pops up.

For those that might not know the definition of fishing lingo. Would it be possible to do something like that, with the definition of each word (just for the ones that aren't in the dictionary of course).

So, that when a newbie reads a report that says "Fished for an hour and caught this lunker trout!" they could pass the wand over the work lunker and have a definition of the word?
Nice idea, don't know for sure if this is something Aaron can do. As to membership, still working out the final categories, and lifetime is in there.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:14 am

Our anticipated June launch of the new site is being postponed. Bummer, I know. There’s just too much work left to do and Aaron and I want to get this new site right the first time, with a minimum of bugs. Rest assured, it will happen. Our timeline now looks to be sometime in the fall. We’ll keep members updated as we get closer to beta testing. Meantime, we appreciate your use of the “hotspots” feature on the report form. When the new site launches there will be a good number of hotspots waiting for everyone.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:28 pm

sounds awsome to me. its worth whatever you you charge, and the life member thing has my interest.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 am

Any news as to when the site well be updated with the new features?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm guessing late fall. It's in Aaron's hands now.

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”