Fish ID please.

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Derrick-k
Commander

Fish ID please.

Post by Derrick-k » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Does anyone know what kind of panfish these are I have been told they are bluegill and also that they are pumpkinseed.

SDAngler
Petty Officer

RE:Fish ID please.

Post by SDAngler » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm pretty sure those are pumpkinseeds. I think the crimson mark on the ear flap is an ID characteristic. Also the bars on blugill are a little more pronounced.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Yeah, there Pumpkinseeds or sunfish as we call them on the eastside. Blue Gill are more a dull blue all over and usually larger.
Well its not called Catching!

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Yes those are pumpkinseeds. They don't grow as big as bluegill and they'll overrun a small lake or pond in no time flat.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Pumkinseeds for sure. :cheers: Beautiful fish. Nice couple slaps you got there Derrick-k. You cookn those babies up?

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Derrick-k if your going to have your "fishing pics" in your signature with a link to your Photobucket, you might want to take it off private. You can do that on your Photobucket home page under Account Options, then go to the menu Album Settings (edit my album settings).

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:01 pm

fishnislife wrote:Derrick-k if your going to have your "fishing pics" in your signature with a link to your Photobucket, you might want to take it off private. You can do that on your Photobucket home page under Account Options, then go to the menu Album Settings (edit my album settings).

fishnislife
Thanks I just thought it was always public.

Yes I did fry them up and they where delicious, small though biggest one was only like 7 inches.

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Derrick-k wrote:
Yes I did fry them up and they where delicious, small though biggest one was only like 7 inches.
They look really fat and beefy. Nice fish there.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:26 pm

Here is some info on them. This is a great site for pan fish information:

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakes ... nseed.html

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Oh boy!!! I thought they were baby sailfish....oops. I was affraid I was going to sound stupid......sarcasm

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:25 am

We got pumkinseed sunfish just like that at a pond I fish and some actually get pretty big (eight inches easy and thick) and fight as hard pound for pound of ANY fish I've caught. Of course, when I'm fishin for them I'm on ultra-light gear, two pound test. They are a pain to filet, but are BY FAR my favorite freshwater fish to eat....at least as of now. I like them even better than Crappie.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:46 am

They are my Wife's favorite. People often wonder what I am doing keeping all those little guys but she can't get enough of them.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 pm

the pumpkinseed is one of the most colorful freshwater fish in the U.S. (my opinion) use to keep a fresh water tank filled with them at a sporting goods store. they are territorial and will fend off all fish from their corner of the tank, i've had them attack me wadeing near their spawning beds and are usually the first at the bait'd hook. the biggest i've caught them have been 9" on a N.W. washington lake. they are a pain to clean when they are small but they are like a plate full of potatoe chips, you can't eat just one. :thumleft:

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:51 am

yea pumpkinseeds are super fun to catch. i can always tell if its a pumkinseed or a bluegill when you hook them cuzz they fight hard!
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:55 pm

i always thought blue gills were the same thing... .lol.

Learned something new.:cheers:

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 pm

A lot of people do call them Bluegills, but they're Pumpkinseed Sunfish. Related yes, but same no. I also believe them to be the prettiest fish I've ever caught in this state.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:50 pm

I have to say Pumpkin seed also.They have that seed looking dark spot on the gill plates.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:30 pm

No doubt about it they are Pumpkinseed Sunfish, I have a few in a fish tank at home. Very pretty fish, and also very territorial.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”