Releasing stockers.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
fishaholictaz
Admiral

Releasing stockers.

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:55 am

If you fish in local lakes to catch and release like I do but have trouble with not harming the little stockers here are a few things that have made it possible for me to take my son fishing for these little guys and still teach him catch and release.
1. Bottom fishing I have found that you can take a corky in your favorite pb color and put a good size bait holder under it with a worm and when you inject the worm with a little air and add power bait scent it will float and work better in most cases. The bigger hook allows for more hooked fish for me most of the time plus they are in the outer mouth not in the blood zone like what happens with power bait.
2. trolling same thing applies replace trebble hooks and smaller hooks like with wedding rings with a single baitholder.
If you take and size up you will have better luck not killing these little guys. I caught my 5 yesterday and not one of them was hurt in the least.
let me know if this works for you.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Releasing stockers.

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 pm

If I'm planning on releasing. I won't fish off the bottom,for me by the time I've set the hook,they've already swallowed it. If C&R is the goal on that trip. I tend to use spoons and crankbaits.

gcbcaddis1
Angler

Post by gcbcaddis1 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:10 pm

When fishing with bait if it is legal to do so you must keep your catch. Check the reg's. If you release a trout you have caught using bait and then release it that is a violation and you can be cited. It does not matter what you do to make it less invasive to the fish. I have seen this behavior before and called it in to the WDFW and they have reaponded and issued citations. If you want to catch and release, then don't use bait and pinch the barbs on your hooks.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:20 pm

gcbcaddis1 wrote:When fishing with bait if it is legal to do so you must keep your catch. Check the reg's. If you release a trout you have caught using bait and then release it that is a violation and you can be cited. It does not matter what you do to make it less invasive to the fish. I have seen this behavior before and called it in to the WDFW and they have reaponded and issued citations. If you want to catch and release, then don't use bait and pinch the barbs on your hooks.

Are you trying to say you MUST keep what you catch if using bait? If so, thats not true. You dont have to keep anything, you dont want to keep. But, once you catch 5 fish on bait, retained or not, your limit has been met and you cant fish any longer.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:26 pm

kevinb wrote:If I'm planning on releasing. I won't fish off the bottom,for me by the time I've set the hook,they've already swallowed it. If C&R is the goal on that trip. I tend to use spoons and crankbaits.
Amen. No reason for me to try and CnR fish when fishing for powerbait, so I don't fish PB when CnRing. Nothings better then when lakes have a healthy supply of holdovers in the fall and fishing is great then...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:27 pm

gpc wrote:
gcbcaddis1 wrote:When fishing with bait if it is legal to do so you must keep your catch. Check the reg's. If you release a trout you have caught using bait and then release it that is a violation and you can be cited. It does not matter what you do to make it less invasive to the fish. I have seen this behavior before and called it in to the WDFW and they have reaponded and issued citations. If you want to catch and release, then don't use bait and pinch the barbs on your hooks.

Are you trying to say you MUST keep what you catch if using bait? If so, thats not true. You dont have to keep anything, you dont want to keep. But, once you catch 5 fish on bait, retained or not, your limit has been met and you cant fish any longer.
According to the regs, GPC is right. YOu don't have to retain, but it does count as your limit.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Ok I called and you CAN release with bait up to 5. If you catch 4 with bait you can go to lures but if you catch 1 with lures that has to be kept you are done.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Photo bucket

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:02 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:Ok I called and you CAN release with bait up to 5. If you catch 4 with bait you can go to lures but if you catch 1 with lures that has to be kept you are done.
Good to know. Thanks 'taz

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:03 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:Ok I called and you CAN release with bait up to 5. If you catch 4 with bait you can go to lures but if you catch 1 with lures that has to be kept you are done.
That last one doesn't have to be kept, but if you do keep it, you are done....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Call the cops on individuals who don't know the laws. Also the guys who catch five fish, off load them to their wives in the parking lot, then go fishing some more. Lets nab some of these poachers. :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:27 pm

That last one doesn't have to be kept, but if you do keep it, you are done....[/quote]
You only have a last one with lures if you keep it.You can catch all day after your 4 bait fish as long as you don't keep any.
Photo bucket

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:33 pm

BTW if you use scent on your lures, or use flavored/scented/salted plastics, all those lures become "bait". If you use these scented/flavored lures, the first 5 trout kept or CNR count towards your limit.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:BTW if you use scent on your lures, or use flavored/scented/salted plastics, all those lures become "bait". If you use these scented/flavored lures, the first 5 trout kept or CNR count towards your limit.
Really?!..Good to know,on occasion I use Gulp Alive spray bottle and bass juice etc.

SDAngler
Petty Officer

Post by SDAngler » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks for mentioning the part about scented or flavored plactics shad. I didn't realize that until reading it previously on this site. I read the regs and how they said bait but didn't read the definition of bait as I thought it was self explanatory. I had been using berkley power trout worms to CNR before I learned they were considered bait. I still CNR but I stop at 5 and keep them if they seem injured. Thanks again for bringing up that point.