Soft Plastic Storage

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Soft Plastic Storage

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:59 am

So these past few days I have been getting impatient waiting for my favorite lakes to thaw. I have been going through all my gear, stocking up and organizing it. I have come to the conclusion that there is no great way to organize soft plastics for easy storage/ usage. I haven't given up on finding a good way, anybody have any?

bpm2000
Captain

RE:Soft Plastic Storage

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:11 pm

plano boxes or a worm binder...

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:14 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:So these past few days I have been getting impatient waiting for my favorite lakes to thaw. I have been going through all my gear, stocking up and organizing it. I have come to the conclusion that there is no great way to organize soft plastics for easy storage/ usage. I haven't given up on finding a good way, anybody have any?
simple

:king:

know where you are going, and remember you do not have to take everything with you. smaller ziplock bags will become your best friend. when i use to throw plastics, i just carried enough for the trip, the extras and the backups stayed at home.

there is a plano box with blue locks that has the ability to hold large plastics and large quantities. more than enough for a trip.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:08 pm

ive been using the worm binders. i had bought some plastic kits from BPS, and, the chartreuse was coloring up my plain white senko's, so, i had to figure out a way to seperate colors. tried the binders and like them. i do recommend t-dot's method ,too, because i carry around 2 large tackle boxes now in the boat, which, is to much gear for a single trip, and, you can buy a bunch of ziplocks for cheap!!!

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:14 pm

C'mon guys, do bass fisherman ever take just what they need? No, we end up with boats full of crap we dont need! Thanks for the input, downsizing what I take with me would probably be a good idea. I currently use the ziplock method, cheap ziplocks imitations that dont stay closed real well. Maybe all I need is a ziplock upgrade.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:16 pm

T Dot wrote:
Gone Fishin wrote:So these past few days I have been getting impatient waiting for my favorite lakes to thaw. I have been going through all my gear, stocking up and organizing it. I have come to the conclusion that there is no great way to organize soft plastics for easy storage/ usage. I haven't given up on finding a good way, anybody have any?
simple

:king:

know where you are going, and remember you do not have to take everything with you. smaller ziplock bags will become your best friend. when i use to throw plastics, i just carried enough for the trip, the extras and the backups stayed at home.

there is a plano box with blue locks that has the ability to hold large plastics and large quantities. more than enough for a trip.
I use zip-loc bags to create small assortments of every color of each type of soft plastic bait, then put them in a worm binder. It doesn't make a lot of sense to carry more than three of anything. For example, I'll have one bag that holds three of every color of 4 inch senko. 5 inch senkos will be in a different bag, etc. Same thing with lizards and grubs.

Even if I run out of something like watermelon w/red flake senko, odds are that a watermelon candy senko will work just as well -- if not better. A different type of bait in the same color is also a good option if you run out of something. For example, if you run out of a specific color of senko, a carolina-rigged lizard or finesse worm in the same color would be a good substitute, and again, it might even work better than what you ran out of.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 pm

I organized all of my plastics last night. It took a while! I've got at least 30 lbs of soft plastics -- most of which I got on sale at the bass pro outlet in Springfield, Missouri. It's hard to pass up deals that are 60+ percent off retail! Obviously it's not practical to take all that stuff out in the boat every time I go fishing, so the BPS double binder comes in handy. I can get three of everything in that binder + hooks and sinkers. Highly recommended for anyone who likes to use a wide variety soft plastics.

Here are a few of pics:

Piscatory Geekus Maximus

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Nice set-up Hillbilly. I am considering something like that now. I like it.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

My soft plastic storage is.......anywhere (even in the cup holder on the boat) anyway probably not a good idea. I gotta say I love that binder though.

Some of my senko's bleed this clear liquid when left out for a while. The liquid beads up on the plastic of the body. When I see this is the worm basically shot?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:00 am

Bassmaster2008 wrote:My soft plastic storage is.......anywhere (even in the cup holder on the boat) anyway probably not a good idea. I gotta say I love that binder though.

Some of my senko's bleed this clear liquid when left out for a while. The liquid beads up on the plastic of the body. When I see this is the worm basically shot?
i have never heard of this before. i gotta say if your senkos are lasting that long you cant be fishing them in the right spots lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:10 pm

TNJ is correct. Never had that problem with senko's.
aka Powerworm

Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:59 pm

yea senkos tear up like no other. I always wonder if Yamamato made them so tearable so we have to buy more when even little dinks rip them up? Anybody try the senko knock offs?

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:02 pm

Ziploc bags always worked for me. I do most of my bass fishing in a float tube so the less tackle I have to carry the better. I'll put 3 or 4 of each kind in a bag, have about 30 plastics in one bag. Nice thing about ziplocs is you can squirt a little scent oil in there, slosh it around, and it locks in the flavor until you're ready to tie one on :)
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Bassmaster2008 wrote:yea senkos tear up like no other. I always wonder if Yamamato made them so tearable so we have to buy more when even little dinks rip them up? Anybody try the senko knock offs?
I just sold a bunch of senko knock-offs. Its just not worth it to me fishing them, when I could be catching with the real thing. :bom:
aka Powerworm

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:03 pm

I use other peoples, so I don't have to store or pack them around.
Well its not called Catching!

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Bassmaster2008 wrote:yea senkos tear up like no other. I always wonder if Yamamato made them so tearable so we have to buy more when even little dinks rip them up? Anybody try the senko knock offs?
Yeah, senkos are definitely not very durable. That is because salt is actually cooked into the bait. Other brands just coat the outside. The Yamamoto salt impregnation process has two advantages: 1) The baits are heavy and can be fished without any added weight. 2) The baits taste salty, which fish really dig. Probably because blood is also salty.

Senkos are softer than other baits, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage. Softer baits feel more natural to the fish, but they rip easily.

I have used knock offs from alluring baits but they are not the same. They have a "rubbery" smell, and the 4 inch "salty trick stick" is lighter than a 4 inch senko. (Senko=6 grams, salty trick stick= 5 grams) The biggest advantages of salty strick sticks are price and durability.

The knock offs do catch fish. The question is whether or not they work as well as a genuine senko. According to the WL article Scents that make sense, bass olfactory organs continue to grow throughout their lives. This means that larger bass have a more developed sense of smell, and may not be fooled by a bait that smells like new tires. Then again, smearing an unscented bait with something like megastrike or lunker lotion may be just as good, if not better. :-k

Here's a link to more info about Yamamoto Custom Baits.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:52 pm

I fish the Wave Worm Tiki Sticks sometimes when I run across them in a store. I use to use them all the time and love them. They last longer than a Senko and from a bass' perspective they are one in the same. The Senko is softer allow more movement in the water but the action on the Tiki Stick is comparable, plus you can't beat the price.

Hear is a review of them from the Yamamoto Website:
http://www.insideline.net/cgi-bin/ez-forum.pl?noframes]
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:29 pm

fishnislife wrote:
I fish the Wave Worm Tiki Sticks sometimes when I run across them in a store. I use to use them all the time and love them. They last longer than a Senko and from a bass' perspective they are one in the same. The Senko is softer allow more movement in the water but the action on the Tiki Stick is comparable, plus you can't beat the price.

The article your link pointed to said that the prices were the same. I'm confused... :-k
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:
fishnislife wrote:

The article your link pointed to said that the prices were the same. I'm confused... :-k

Tiki Stick 5" 10 for $3.29
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... WSTS5.html

OR

Senko 5" 10 for $5.98
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageSFSYAMA-YAS.html

What's to be confused about brutha. When you go through a lot of senkos the savings will add up. I have actually seen them in some tackle shops for less. Granted Tiki Sticks don't have the amount of colors Senkos do, but how many colors do you really need?

fishnislife

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:51 pm

i use one of my old soft tackle bags and leave all of my plastics in their origional packages, and just put them in the tackle bag with a ziploc labeled to organize brands, colors, and sizes. and have all of my other plano organizers in another tackle bag. no matter what, if you have a lot of tackle it will be hard to find what you need when you need it. No matter what you do to organize it.