Open Water on Medical

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Open Water on Medical

Post by raffensg64 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 pm

OK guys and gals, here's the deal. There is a huge area of open water on the northeast side of the lake. To access it, you'd have to launch at the little park/picnic area located just east of the normal north end launch. There is a navigable stretch that gradually widens into several hundred feet of open water. It's well off the beaten path and I can't recall having ever seen anyone fishing that particular area.

Both normal launch areas, and the areas normally fished, are still iced in although there is some melting along the banks.

I'm working Thursday but will be there Friday for sure!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Open Water on Medical

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks for the update raff. I was planning on a trip to the lake the coming Saturday, but it looks like gas money will have to wait till the following weekend.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:57 pm

You might as well go now, Joe. It is just going to go up more:shaking:

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:41 am

Will keep y'all posted. Looks like our first opportunity will be the north end...it has the most open water. I really want to access the south end, too! In past years I've had some truly fantastic days fishing chironimids on that end....even before the WDFW planted rainbows.

Looks like another cold front is coming in tonight. Wet snow and showers, not good for the home team. Not real cold but enough to delay melting in my opinion. Maybe some wind, though.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Hey raff,
George the weather guy on the local NBC station says we can expect somewhere between 3-7 inches of snow in the near future. We already have about an inch in my front yard. Question is; has Medical Lake re-frozen, or is it getting better and just waiting for us? Man, this snow is really killing my attitude.:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Raff-

Can you give us the heads up when all the ice is off Medical. Mike and I fished it on the 19th in open water that we could get to. While plowing through a 1/4" crust of ice to get to open water, we felt like two flies bobbing around in a cocktail glass.
Attachments
Mike_Carey_At_Medical_1.JPG
Mike_Carey_At_Medical_1.JPG (208.02 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

David Hall
Petty Officer

Post by David Hall » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:44 pm

Marc- the picture you posted from Medical Lake - real coool! The pontoon boat looks familar, however the angler is new - Mike Carey , I presume. Glad the two of you enjoyed the few hours spent. The gentlemen you gave advice to as you left the water also enjoyed the day, maybe more than you two.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:22 pm

I think that we did things backwards. We should have set up the booth at the fairgrounds in the morning and then fished in the afternoon. The bite was really on later in the day. Next time we will do it different.

Ya know, your right:cheers: That boat looks just like yours:-" It is Mike Carey, alias "Icy Toes"
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:35 pm

What a great picture!

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:10 pm

is this the same medical lake that had all the fish killed off or something?

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:18 pm

No. As far back as I can remember, they have never killed off Medical Lake. I don't know of any other Medical Lake.

They might have killed off West Medical sometime in the past, but it has been quite a few years.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”