Charter fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dbaker
Petty Officer

Charter fishing

Post by dbaker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:51 pm

I am going to take my dad salmon fishing this summer for his birthday. Where is the best place on the coast to hire a charter. I've been looking at Westport or Ilwaco. Is there a better place and does anyone have any reccomendatatoion on what charter service to use. Thanks.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

RE:Charter fishing

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Neah Bay in August for Halibut, Lings and Salmon. Can't beat it if Neah Bay is still open for salmon retention. If not, July is stellar out of Neah Bay for both salmon and halibut. The summer in Neah Bay is like none other...also a quick run across the Strait puts you in prime areas such as Port Renfrew, which is good to excellent for salmon fishing. Here, though, I'd recommend Jolly Rogers Adventures, out of PR, B.C. --

http://www.vancouverislandfishing.ca/

Here in WA, I'd suggest Advantage Charters. Well known, and well respected. Very professional.

http://advantagecharters.com/
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbaker
Petty Officer

Post by dbaker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:20 pm

thanks for the suggestion.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:40 pm

Depends on what you are wanting to fish for. If your planning to fish out of Westport, my advise to you is remember you get what you pay for. If you want the lower cost charters then your going to get what you payed for. I personaly know all the skippers out of Westport and If I had my choice of who I would fish with? It would either be out of Westport Charters Hula Girl, with Steve Westrick, or with Kevin Vaserino on the Gold Rush. The other charter that you will get your moneys worth is Deepsea Charters. Hands down if you want the "Ultimate fishing experience" especialy with kids. Take them out fishing with Rhet on the Slammer, he does them best with lite action rods and big action fish, and one hella nice guy to. Kenny Culver and Mike Harris do 100% to get you on the best spots in area 2 that you can fish. Kenny has probaly the most exsperience with bottom fish and will definetly will get on the derby board more time throughout the year with his HUGE lings then most other boats. Mike Harris on the Fury started his days as a deckhand and has countless hours and knows all the hunny holes and when and where to be through out the year. Just a few of the skippers in Westport but probably some of the best.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:19 pm

hi dusty,
long time no talk. if interested, im planning a halibut/bottomfish charter trip out of ilwaco may 5th (should have 10-15 guys). i can highly recommend pacific salmon charters (paul knowles was our skipper, every year except last year). they do all the salmon runs that hit that area down southwest, and, are pretty decent as far as price. hope to get over your way, and, get you out on the columbia in my new boat. take care-

mike u.

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:10 am

dbaker -
The ocean salmon season are somewhat up in the air this summer. Poor California Chinook returns and Columbia coho returns will likley have some effect on the seasons. Ilwaco, Westport, LaPush and Neah Bay on the ocean are potential options as well as Sekiu and Puget Sound.

I hold off making a decision untilt this year's seasons are announced. Final decisions will be made by the end of the first week of April with a news release from WDFW announcing the season that weekend and the new regulation pamphlet coming out by May 1st. Once that information is available you can make a decision on what area offers the best fit for your interests.

Tight lines
Curt

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 pm

hi dusty, i know the thread was for this summer, but, wanted to let you know about a good deal going right now. excelfishingcharters.com is the charter, out of everett. for the month of march, they are fishing for those blackmouth salmon for $75 per rod, 2-rod minimum. they have been catching limits in the 4-12 lb. range. freind of mine was with them last saturday and caught 4 with a 6 lb.'er the biggest. said the service was excellant.