Members Boats

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
cavdad45
Commodore

RE:Members Boats

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:It's looking like an Alumaweld or a North River might join the Lund....

Anyone got any experience with any bigger Aluminum boats? I know Bodofish has his custom weld, but we are looking with something with a deep vee and something in the range of 20 feet with a 100+hp motor, kicker, and aluminum. Thought about going for glass like our old Campion 19', but figured aluminum would go better...It'll mainly be used for the saltwater (Area 9, 10, 8-2, Sekiu a few times a year, and some bigger lakes)

Anyone have any thoughts on these boats?
Boats we are considering:
Alumaweld: Blackhawk, Intuder, Stryker,
North River: SeaHawk 20'

We are still looking around at Hewescrafts, Weldcrafts, etc....

haven't completely ruled out glass though...
Sam, I would recommend the Alumaweld Intruder over all the others. I worked for Paige who owns Alumaweld for 7 years and toured the factory several times in White City. But after those years in the marine business, I had the opportunity to see the competition's boats and compare. I like the standard of Alumaweld and the Intruder line is my personal pick.

Oh yeah, go with the Yamaha if you have good dealer support up there. Down in the Portland area, Yamaha doesn't support its products well, and therefor Mercury owns the territory down here. Eventhough Yamaha makes a better product.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:14 pm

The largest Alumaweld, or #1 is just 20 minutes north from where I live...A good amount of their boats on the lot are equipped with Mercury, probably to keep the sticker price down. I know they also do Honda and Yamaha motors, but Mercury seems to come on most of them....

Any reason for the Intruder being your pick?
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

basscanada
Petty Officer

Post by basscanada » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:53 pm

My boat is a 1995 Alumacraft 1448M jon boat with a 2007 Yamaha 25hp outboard with front and rear decks, motorguide 50lb thrust hand controlled bow mount trolling motor, 55lb thrust Minn Kota Maxxum stern mount trolling motor, carried on an EZ loader trailer. No bass boat but great for small lakes and can still fish the big lakes when they aren't blowing too hard.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Tiller motors sure are fun to drive...That looks like some skinny water there basscanada...You run the prop through that stuff??

basscanada
Petty Officer

Post by basscanada » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:40 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Tiller motors sure are fun to drive...That looks like some skinny water there basscanada...You run the prop through that stuff??
That's the sloughs off Pitt Lake up here in British Columbia.. you literaly have to launch in a ditch to get into them but there are decent bass once you get in.. I do run the tiller down the channel to get in but I am well aware of the locations of all the submereged wood

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:10 am

Nice set-up basscanada. That is perfect for pond jumping.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:18 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:It's looking like an Alumaweld or a North River might join the Lund....

Anyone got any experience with any bigger Aluminum boats? I know Bodofish has his custom weld, but we are looking with something with a deep vee and something in the range of 20 feet with a 100+hp motor, kicker, and aluminum. Thought about going for glass like our old Campion 19', but figured aluminum would go better...It'll mainly be used for the saltwater (Area 9, 10, 8-2, Sekiu a few times a year, and some bigger lakes)

Anyone have any thoughts on these boats?
Boats we are considering:
Alumaweld: Blackhawk, Intuder, Stryker,
North River: SeaHawk 20'

We are still looking around at Hewescrafts, Weldcrafts, etc....

haven't completely ruled out glass though...

I would stick with aluminum as it holds it's value better than fiberglas boats. I noticed this back in 2002 when I was searching the used boat market. Also, a thump in an aluminum boat is a dent, a thump in a glass boat is a crack at best.

Mine's an 18'er... how much bigger are you going? I had mine around the corner at Neah Bay once...about 10 miles south of the tip. Rest of the time I didn't get much further out than a mile past Tatoosh.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:54 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:

I would stick with aluminum as it holds it's value better than fiberglas boats. I noticed this back in 2002 when I was searching the used boat market. Also, a thump in an aluminum boat is a dent, a thump in a glass boat is a crack at best.

Mine's an 18'er... how much bigger are you going? I had mine around the corner at Neah Bay once...about 10 miles south of the tip. Rest of the time I didn't get much further out than a mile past Tatoosh.
That is why we are much more in favor of aluminum. We run it up on shore, sometimes let it run dry on a sandy beach when the tide goes out when we don't anchor it way out, etc. We'd like to get a 20 footer. Something to also pull tubes and wakeboarders every once in a while. Not very often but occasionally..

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:The largest Alumaweld, or #1 is just 20 minutes north from where I live...A good amount of their boats on the lot are equipped with Mercury, probably to keep the sticker price down. I know they also do Honda and Yamaha motors, but Mercury seems to come on most of them....

Any reason for the Intruder being your pick?
Better construction. The Stryker is really an entry level, first boat kinda thing. The Intruder uses better/thicker skin, stronger stringers, an other non-functional upgrades like in seating, non-feedback steering, and instrumentation. The stryker is really meant for the guy getting his feet wet in boating and will probably upgrade in 4 or 5 years into an Intruder or Formula Vee. The Intruder is for the guy who wants a boat that will last 15-20 years or more, but doesn't want to go $$$$ crazy and fall into a Formula Vee.

Most Alumaweld dealers use the Mercury because Paige Stevens, who owns the two Stevens Marine shops, Alumaweld Boats, Rogue Trailers, and River Marine gets a sweet package for exclusiveness from Mercury Marine and therefor pre-rigs Alumawelds with Mercury controls.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Sweet thanks cavdad....Looks like I'll have to look into the intruders more.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Sam, do u take that lund out to the sound? I'd like to go out to the sound and fish, I'm looking for a reasonable price boat that can handle the sound.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:10 pm

basscanada, I love your set-up. It's what I use... a jonboat.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:18 pm

kzoo wrote:Sam, do u take that lund out to the sound? I'd like to go out to the sound and fish, I'm looking for a reasonable price boat that can handle the sound.
Yep that goes out in the sound A LOT. I don't use the Minn Kota, the 15 horse idles down slow enough for trolling and it handles rough water fine. I wouldn't suggest going out when it's rough, but I do occasionally and usually it's calm enough out there for me to take that....Atleast where I'm using it.

basscanada
Petty Officer

Post by basscanada » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:35 pm

cavdad45 wrote:basscanada, I love your set-up. It's what I use... a jonboat.
thanks man, yeah its great, would love a bass boat one day but my jon does the trick for now!

mics
Petty Officer

Post by mics » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:57 pm

thought i would try this picture thing,hpoe it works.
Attachments
boats_008_Medium.jpg
boats_008_Medium.jpg (96.23 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
boats_004_Medium.jpg
boats_004_Medium.jpg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:02 pm

I had a Zodiac YachtLine 420 with a 50HP Yamaha. I'm not sure you see much of the boat in my photo, but oh well! I loved this boat. It was 14'9" with a top run-and-gun speed of 44mph. Fuel tanks were internal...held 15 gallons of fuel at 10mi per gallon I got 150miles on a tank. I took this thing from Edmonds to Bellingham bay one day in a little over 2 hours time. I had to sell to get some money, and now have a Zodiac Zoom 10' with an 8HP...it is actually better for fishing and what not, but I sure miss my YachtLine420 by Zodiac.
Attachments
ZodiacDrivin.jpg
ZodiacDrivin.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Yamaha50.jpg
Yamaha50.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
ZodiacYL420.jpg
ZodiacYL420.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:50 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:kutthroatkilla,
Is that 10 footer what you are taking out on Lake WA now for Cutts?
No, I got a grady white spirit, 17 footer. Sweet boat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:19 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:39 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
kutthroatkilla wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:kutthroatkilla,
Is that 10 footer what you are taking out on Lake WA now for Cutts?
Yep. Just a 10' Zoom by Zodiac with an 8HP 2-stroke 2007 Yami. It does the trick.
DR's?
Might have to bring my boat back to my house in Bellevue during break so we can use that....
That might be a good idea...we can target the cutts using your DR's. Should be heating up here pretty soon when the water temp hits 52-55F.