Outboard mounting bracket - advice?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Outboard mounting bracket - advice?

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Question:

Recently acquired a 16' flat bottom. Great little boat, but problem is, it's a 20" transom and I only have a short shaft (25hp 2 stroke). Figured I'd be looking at getting a new motor, but thought about a mounting bracket. Anybody tried putting an outboard bracket on a small boat for the main motor? Pros/Cons? It's a decent boat and definitely don't want to cut the transom down, just trying to think of alternatives to a new motor....thoughts?

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Outboard mounting bracket - advice?

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Are you thinking about one of those kicker brackets where it raises and lowers the kicker?

I think one of those would work - IF - it was rated for your motor. The only downside I can see is it will shift the weight more to the rear, so you may need to re-balance stuff in the boat to compensate.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:19 am

What you are proposing to do, 15" shaft on a 20" transom, could result in a swamped motor. Especially when coming to a stop after being on plane. If you are really set a trying to do this, look at a jack plate. They offer about 5" of travel and that should get you to where you aren't cavitating at speed. Also, once you get a replacement motor, you can remount it to use with your long shaft motor and fine tune your setup.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 am

G-Man wrote:What you are proposing to do, 15" shaft on a 20" transom, could result in a swamped motor. Especially when coming to a stop after being on plane. If you are really set a trying to do this, look at a jack plate. They offer about 5" of travel and that should get you to where you aren't cavitating at speed. Also, once you get a replacement motor, you can remount it to use with your long shaft motor and fine tune your setup.
Thats a good point, but if he doesnt have enough freeboard now, then a jack plate that adjusts the height might also result in the same issue.

Measure how much freeboard you have now at the transom. Then watch what happens when you come off plane quickly and that will tell you if the motor will sit too low.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 am

Since you don't really need to raise and lower the motor a solid 'lowering' plate might be better and would keep the motor closer to the transom. I doubt the height difference would be that much of an issue. You might consider getting the spacer parts for yours to lengthen it if they are available.
Have you actually tried the motor? Sometimes they work just fine.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 am

I would look into a Slidemaster Outboard Aluminum Jack Plate Manual Adjust or a HI Jacker plate. Both will do what you want but one is cheaper. Check Ebay some used can be had. This is much better way to go the the bracket above as they have HP limits and the last thing you want to do is loose the engine off the back. The plates keep the motor closer to the original location. Good luck just be safe!
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks for the advice/input. I was thinking about the kicker type mounting brackets above. The motor is only 105lbs dry weight, so figured it shouldn't be to big of an issue. Didn't think about motor swamp, and was curious about weight shift. Sounds like if I try anything, should be the jack plate. Didn't even know they existed lol. Did look into shaft extension aftermarket kit a few years ago, they were around $400. I also did try the motor on the boat, and it just cavitates to much above 6-8 mph, and that's calm water. Maybe it's something to chalk up as "if it's not supposed to be, don't do it". Will do a little more research and if I give it a go, will post it up. Thanks again....gotta get it squared away for Baker lake :-)