GREEN RIVER

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dave M
Warrant Officer

GREEN RIVER

Post by Dave M » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:40 am

Does anyone know if there is any indication they will open up more sections of the green? I was down by the park in Auburn across from the golf course and in about 15 minutes I must have seen at least 10-15 fish rolling.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: GREEN RIVER

Post by Onmygame » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:20 am

Hard to say, bit if they do - keep in mind that the history for this river shows incremental sectional openings from end of July through mid October, with lower sections opening earlier than upstream sections.

Basically if you had your heart set on fishing near Hwy 18 as an example, you'd still be nearly a month away before it opened on a normal year.

onmygame

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Lots of big fish way up here by flaming geyser! First time ive seen big fish this high up in decent quanity! Hard to tell, but guessing they are Chinook from on top of a bridge looking down. Maybe a kind of "silver lining" on all these closures...
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Is there enough current to try drift fishing from shore if I use a small enough amount of pencil lead?

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:54 pm

They do the incremental opening to protect the Kings, The last few years it already would have been open at least up to the 277th bridge.
Might head up to Flaming geyser just to see them, hopefully in the next few years the king run will be strong enough to give us a fishery for them.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Have you seen anyone try drift fishing from shore on the green before?

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:41 am

Scheindogg wrote:Have you seen anyone try drift fishing from shore on the green before?
Yes, easily done most places anywhere upstream from the Boeing bridges.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:28 am

Dave m, if your seriously going out to spot fish, the deep slot under the Whitney bridge is where I watch the kings shoot up stream. They come through in schools single file...

Pretty cool to see 10-20lb fish so close to home.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks bentrod!
So do any of you know any good bank fishing spots anywhere near family fun center?
I feel like closer to 405 would be better now since that's as far upstream as you can go and lots of the coho have probably made it that fr already?
Never been to this river before, is it easy to just walk down into the river with my waders or is it un accessible in most areas?
Thanks

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks Sideburns, I will have to check it out. Probably going to go down and hike at the park as well.

Scheindogg, I am not sure about near the family fun center, I have seen folks fishing around Ft. Dent park just north of there. And there are a few spots on the other side of I-5 that are accessible.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:50 am

Oh great! I noticed ft. Dent Park on google maps and was thinking that was something close to the area I was thinking, so that sounds great maybe I'll have to try that one out!

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:43 pm

They are opening up to 277th on the 1st and to auburn-blackdiamond bridge on the 16th. Looks like they increased the limit as well.

Scheindogg watch out for all of the soccer nuts at ft. dent

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:12 pm

With more of the river opening up this Saturday I wanted to try it out since the wdfw still hasnt announced that the Wallace will open up in time. I will be trying the soccer fields by Kent and since I have never actually fished the green up that far I was wondering what the river looks like as that will be my deciding factor on what to use. Does is have good holding spots for salmon or is it similar to the lower green with steep bank access lined up with blackberry bushes! ( in my opinion salmon hate to stack up or hang out anywhere blackberry bushes are forced into the river). I'm thinking drift fishing off the bank. Is that possible there or should I be looking for other options like twitching jigs?( not a big fan of twitching jigs btw, i know they work but can't get past the fact that I might foulhook a fish trying to do so, so I like to stick with what I think is the conventional way of fishing for salmon)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Probably the worst part of the upper Green will be shallow water with no rain. I'm thinking about a lot of darker fish. The Green can be awesome when the freshet is happening.I'd think the Meeker bridge area would be good because the water tends to be deeper.Like from the NC hole to the RJC area. JMO

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks for the info. Will look into that area but being from Everett not quite sure well that would be

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Anybody getting into some lately? I've been out often with nothing to show for. They are moving though. And lockjaw

Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Post by Big-Fish91 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Bro in my experience coho on green are way more lock jaw and harder to entice than any other river system I've fished

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:41 pm

The seals were chomping away this early evening. I was sick watching it.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:15 am

upper green full of coho and kings now! Biggest concentrations near soos creek. Fish are spread all of the way up to flaming geyser. Signs of poaching all over near 18.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Landed 1 Saturday at the kent soccer fields. Someone caught a chum sunday morning.