Whirling disease

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
msr40
Angler

Whirling disease

Post by msr40 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Today, June 12th, I caught a rainbow trout at Carney Lake, Pierce County. The trout has whirling disease. I left a message for WDFW. I froze the whole fish, incase WDFW needs it. Please search proper ways to prevent the parasite from going to other lakes.
Attachments
20160612_102921_resized.jpg
Whirling disease
Last edited by msr40 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Whirling disease

Post by Amx » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:52 pm

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X3 ... s&ei=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:22 pm

How You Can Help

Clean: Remember that the tubifex worm can hold the whirling disease parasite. Thoroughly wash off any mud from vehicles, boats, trailers, anchors, axles, waders, boots, fishing equipment and anything that can hold the spores or mud-dwelling worms.

Drain: The parasite can persist in water. Drain boats, equipment, coolers, live bait wells and any holder of water. Make sure you don't inadvertently help spread whirling disease by cleaning all equipment after use in lakes or streams.

Don't Transport: Avoid moving any fish from one body of water to another, as this can help spread whirling disease. It is unlawful in Colorado to move and stock live fish without a special license.

​​​Clear Weeds: Never transport aquatic plants. Make sure boats, engine props, anchors, trailers and wheels are cleared of weeds after every use.
Dispose Correctly: Don't dispose of fish entrails or other by-products into any body of water.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:43 pm

Did you take a picture?

troutfinatic
Petty Officer

Post by troutfinatic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Glad I read this report,

I caught one with this bent tail look in the picture today at Lake Howard in Snohomish. [omg]
Any body else ever catch one there?
Hope this is not an on going trend. [scared]

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:40 pm

I caught this trout at nunnally lake in grant county took a picture and sent it in to the regional office in ephrata and they said that it was not whirling disease and that there is no confirmed case of whirling disease in the state. That took me by surprise as the fish is clearly suffering from some type of deformity but what do I know!!
Attachments
image.jpeg

Why2Fish
Angler

Post by Why2Fish » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:14 am

That is not whirling disease. That particular parasite affects the cartilage of the skull. What you see is most probably the results of a previous infection of one called bacterial coldwater disease.