No salmon fishing in PUget Sound?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Larry3215
Admiral

No salmon fishing in PUget Sound?

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:49 pm

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

April 15, 2016

Salmon seasons set for ocean, CR;
tate, tribes unable to reach agreement on Puget Sound

OLYMPIA – Anglers will have opportunities to fish for salmon in the ocean and Columbia River this year, although recreational and non-tribal commercial salmon fisheries in Puget Sound may be closed through much of the season.

After lengthy negotiations, state and tribal fishery managers could not reach an agreement on salmon-fishing seasons in Puget Sound. An agreement must be reached in the next few weeks or the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and treaty tribes in western Washington will each need to secure separate federal permits required to hold fisheries in Puget Sound waters where there are protected fish stocks.

That decision was made yesterday at the Pacific Fishery Management Council’s meeting in Vancouver, Wash. Salmon fishing seasons for Washington’s ocean waters and the Columbia River were adopted during the federal panel’s meeting. A summary of those fisheries is available on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/attach/apr1516a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim Unsworth, WDFW director, said potentially forgoing salmon seasons in Puget Sound isn’t a decision the department took lightly.

“We realize that closing salmon fishing in Puget Sound for the foreseeable future is not only disappointing but is detrimental to many communities across the region,” he said. “As we work to secure the necessary federal permit, we hope to continue discussions with the tribes. I believe co-management can work, and we will do our part to improve the process of setting salmon seasons in Washington.”

This is the first time the state and tribes have not reached an agreement on salmon fishing seasons while working as co-managers, which began about 30 years ago. In previous years, the co-managers have been authorized to fish for salmon under a joint federal permit.

Ron Warren, head of WDFW’s Fish Program, said the department will begin working with NOAA Fisheries to secure a federal permit for salmon fisheries in Puget Sound. However, it is uncertain the department will receive federal authorization in time to hold salmon fisheries this summer, he said.

“We knew setting salmon-fishing seasons would be challenging this year due to the poor forecast for coho,” Warren said. “Our staff worked really hard to put forward a set of proposed fisheries that met agreed-to conservation goals. Unfortunately, we were not able to reach an agreement.”

About 256,000 coho are expected to return to Puget Sound in 2016. That’s about one-third the size of run predicted in 2015.

During the salmon season-setting process, state fishery managers consulted with numerous members of the department’s Puget Sound sportfishing advisory groups, who supported the department’s decision.

Puget Sound marine and fresh water areas that currently are open to salmon fishing – including marine areas 5, 11, 12 and 13 – will close to fishing May 1, if not scheduled to close earlier in the 2015-2016 Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: No salmon fishing in PUget Sound?

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 pm

So does that mean ONLY the tribes get to fish Puget Sound?

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:52 pm

I was just getting ready to post this. Bad news....But I feel we really need our state to get it's PERMIT and not answer or ask for others on season setting. Let's hope the future salmon fishing state wide gains from this move.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Its also unclear to me if they are including the straights when they say "Puget Sound". Some times the Straight is part of the sound and other times its not depending on who is talking.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:36 pm

After lengthy negotiations, state and tribal fishery managers could not reach an agreement on salmon-fishing seasons in Puget Sound. An agreement must be reached in the next few weeks or the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and treaty tribes in western Washington will each need to secure separate federal permits required to hold fisheries in Puget Sound waters where there are protected fish stocks.
The way I'm reading this is that the two sides need to come to an agreement or have to submit and secure the federal permits in order to hold said fisheries. But my question becomes if the tribes don't secure their federal permit who is going to enforce it?

I was originally under the impression that most of the issues had been dealt with and that we would get a salt season so I bought the combo that I said I wasn't going to do until we heard final word.... and I'm sure many of us did the same thing. I only fish salt in 8-2/9/and 10 so I don't care if Area 1 - 7 are open season. I should have held to my fishing pole... oh wait that is why I purchased the combo in the first place. :cheers: ](*,)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Time to ask for a refund!

Looks like the straight is included in the closure. Also, the ocean fishery is severely restricted from last years levels. From the download link above:
Washington's ocean waters: The Pacific Fisheries Management Council approved a recreational chinook catch quota of 35,000 fish, which is 29,000 fish decline from 2015's quota of 64,000 chinook. The PFMC, which establishes fishing seasons in ocean waters three to 200 miles off the Pacific coast, also adopted a quota of 18,900 coho for this year's recreational ocean fishery – about 131,900 fish fewer than last year's quota (150,800 coho).
Recreational ocean salmon fisheries for chinook will be open daily beginning July 1 in all four marine areas. Marine Area 1 (Ilwaco) will close Aug. 31 while the other three marine areas will close Aug. 21. The areas could close earlier if the catch quota is met.
Anglers will be required to release coho salmon in marine areas 2-4 but can retain hatchery coho in Marine Area 1. Anglers will have a daily limit of one salmon in Marine Area 2. In Marine Area 1 anglers can retain two salmon, only one of which can be chinook. Areas 3 and 4 have a two-salmon daily limit.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:23 am

The issues with a refund is if you want to fish bottom fish then what? You will need the pay for saltwater access, I would like to see a change in price to separate the bottom fishing from Salmon fishing. This helps everyone who wants to fish for one species and not another or as what might be this years NO season for salmon....

Let's see if lawmakers can push this thru and not just give up, by the sounds of things time for change is now and there willing to stand up for what is needed and right!
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:04 am

There is already no bottom fishing inside Puget Sound except for the very limited ling and butt seasons - of course, there are almost no bottom fish - including lings and butts - left in the Sound anyway, so why bother? Even in the Straight the areas you can fish and/or the dates are very limited and the catch rates have been dropping for years.

We are planning a hali trip in May, but I might cancel. With no salmon fishing Im thinking its going to be insane at the ramps and on the water for the few days its going to be open.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:25 am

A discussion with Jim Unsworth - head of WDFW about the problems.

http://www.theoutdoorline.com/podcasts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:17 pm

I understand the limited choices fishing for bottom fishing in PS, but the people that only fish that fishery should have that choice of license fee's much like hunters do for the species they want to harvest.

I did listen to the interview with Jim and I hope that we choose the high road and secure our own permit from NOAA. We all need to work together but at this point it's time to realize Washington fisherman and women are being told what we can and can't have and that is not give and take or what is best for the fishery. Washington needs to stand tall and move forward and create our future and our kids future in Salmon fishing in the northwest! Tight lines.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

ebpip
Petty Officer

Post by ebpip » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Does anyone know what specific marine areas are affected? What is considered Puget Sound?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:14 pm

From the link above it looks like the only fishing this year will be very limited seasons in Marine Areas 1 - 4 and probably only outside the Bonilla Tatoosh line in area 4..

So 5 through 13 will be closed.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm going over to Sekiu tomorrow for four days. Why not? Prob my last chance to use my boat for Salmon this year unless I decide to take another trip to Ucluelet or maybe the Columbia for URBs which will be really crowded. Try for bottomfish in MA 4 if the wind isn't too bad. Made a reser at Olsons yesterday and the guy there claims the Blackmouth fishing is pretty good. Their website shows some fish. I need to use up the gas in the tank from last Fall.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Be safe and have a great time, wish I was going with you...maybe one day I will make the trip up there but I am not very salt worthy still alot to learn. Tight lines.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:54 pm

Sekiu is pretty mild, it isn't as nasty as the ocean. Your boat would be great. I have an 18' Seahawk and it does just fine. Most days you can fish. Sometimes you have to hang out just around the corner and start fishing for salmon almost as soon as you leave the marina, so no long runs. Bottomfish is another matter since you have to run 10-12 miles to the west into MA 4 which is problematic if that west wind comes up. Sometimes you can run to the west early before the wind comes up. If it does come up you can run with the west wind going home which is obviously a lot easier.

You still have to check the NOAA weather report on the VHF now and then but it is not as dicey as the ocean can be sometimes.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks for the information. Sounds like my boat will do fine now tell my brain I can do it....One of these days I will for sure it just looks like to much fun and great fishing to boot.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Like barchaser says - just watch the weather. You mainly want to check the wind forecast. Thats what will get you.

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Seattle is getting more and more populated. I'm from So. Ca. I saw the fisheries get fished and netted to almost nothing. If we want the Sound to be more than a shipping lane, the netting of all types will have to end. It is only a matter of time for one result or the other.

I think we will whimp out and let the fishery go to nothing. Fish runs up the Sound rivers will become a thing we talk about but don't experience anymore. The only final solution that has a 100% chance of occurring is over netting and over fishing.

Sad. I think this is why voters are voting against the establishment no matter which side it is on.

dizzyedge
Petty Officer

Post by dizzyedge » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:12 pm

According to the last paragraph of this article it could take up to 8 months for the state to get approval which is long after the season is done.
http://komonews.com/news/local/without- ... n-jeopardy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:04 am

So why would they still sell us the license if they are not going to allow us to fish anything at all. Is is a bummer. Just got into this fishing and I'm so sad to see how its been ,and to hear all the good things about how it was just few years ago. Wish I would of got into it sooner. This was going to be my first year out on my own boat for salmon. Maybe next year for pinks. ?