Dash Point Pier Flatfish

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Fisherman
Petty Officer

Dash Point Pier Flatfish

Post by The Fisherman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Hello guys, I have never done well with flounder, and only caught a few two summers ago. I am planning on going to Dash Point Pier, but will consider Des Moines, and Redondo. Any info as to setup, bait/lure, time of day, direction to cast, or if it is worth a try will be appreciated. Also, if you have suggestions for better places in Area 11, I will be thankful. I want to try it with a friend, but don't want this to be a trip that we leave empty handed (he trusts I know what I'm doing). Thanks very much in advance!
Last edited by The Fisherman on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Re: Dash Point Pier Flatfish

Post by Diverdoyle » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:38 am

off dash you have allot of salmon people and crabbers with like fish hawk cast able setups flounder try off the north west corner of the dock facing out on to the water its a drop off right there redondo kinda stay about the same middle or the right side of the dock because there is a cable that runs out to the break water that always catches peoples setups ... as for setups if you ever make your way down to the pt defiance boat house they sell bottom fishing dual setups that work great for flounder its a stainless steel double dropper rig you can put two hooks on and a weight . browns point maybe another area to try too right off the beach

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 am

dash pt gets a good amount of pressure for flounder, so it can be slow at times. as for tackle a 2oz or bigger sinker depending on the current and size 4 or 6 hooks since most flatfish have smaller mouths. i usually just buy the 2 hook crappie (bottom) rigs or just tie my own out a piece of 40lb mono. take a few feet of mono and tie 2 dropper loops about a foot or so apart and a surgeon's loop on the bottom end to attach your weight. i like using nightcrawlers for bait. they are cheap, easy, and put out a lot scent as they slowly dissolve.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

The Fisherman
Petty Officer

Post by The Fisherman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:12 am

Thank you for your replies so far! What pier (in area 11) would you recommend for catching flounder?

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am

i havent done much bottom fishing off redodo (when i go there im usually fishing for salmon) and i aint fish des moines in 30 yrs or so. if i was going pier fishing for flounder id say dash or fox island pier if dash was too crowded. pt defiance dock can be good at times too. nowdays i mainly fish off shore for flounder.

a couple good shore areas if you're interested. at high tide between aasarco and les davis pier. you can fish off the rocks and get some good sized fish. the beach next to fox island bridge is good on incoming and high tide. the stretch between owens beach and the light tower on the clay banks is good on low tide but you want to watch the tide coming in so you dont get stranded out there.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

The Fisherman
Petty Officer

Post by The Fisherman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Point Defiance is a bit of a ways from where I am located (Renton), do you have any recommendations of any place closer to me? I am ok with fishing from the shore.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:50 pm

any spot that is flat sandy and maybe has a out flow of water like where a stream or river may meet they like to hang out .. pull up an topo map and take a look to see if there is any access around

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:53 am

If you can get out to point defiance pier it can be great fishing if you know what your doing.

About the begaining of July - August is prime time. Mornings till about 2 o clock is the best time.

Where I would suggest you fish is to the far left and cast at a 45* degree angle as far out as you can towards Vashon Island

When it comes to bait , If you can find or catch live needle fish they are best fished off the bottom. Second best bait in my opinion is Raw prawns (Cut them down the middle long ways and rig them onto you bottom fishing sett up so they'll stay). If you have nothing else I would suggest using pieces of Pilling worms (Blood worms) , Night crawlers or small pieces of Herring off the bottom. Its best to change it up every few casts.

I was one of those young kids way back when that was always down there on the pier with my buddies fishing all day.
I'll Private message you another great flounder and Rock cod spot to fish off that dock.
Tight lines and good luck.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:00 am

i would stay away from the Pilling worms the state a few years ago i believe the state outlawed them a few years ago along with shore crabs . i personally like using the big Humboldt sized squid at the korean grocery store h mart has them off of 320th st. one squid last a long time its great for crab bait too

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:04 pm

We use them on the East Coast , must have gotten that part confused (;

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:41 pm

An unclassified marine invertebrate is any shellfish species not defined as shellfish on page 11. Examples include: shore crabs, graceful crabs, sea
stars, sand dollars, moon snails, shore snails, marine worms and nudibranchs. NO HARVEST ALLOWED.

page 132 of the regs ... yea they shut down that fun a few years ago .. used to be able to reach under the fuel dock at point d for them but not anymore

The Fisherman
Petty Officer

Post by The Fisherman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Ok, thank you for the information you have provided.