Sea lions invade the Columbia

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BentRod
Admiral

Sea lions invade the Columbia

Post by BentRod » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:48 pm

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Sea lions invade the Columbia

Post by G-Man » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:50 pm

If only Orcas and Great White sharks had internet access...

apex
Angler

Post by apex » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:54 am

Every fisherman should carry a paint ball gun down there for a little discouragement. It's legal....

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21 pm

I think we need more than paintballs at this point.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:04 am

Cascadian wrote:I think we need more than paintballs at this point.
Standard size marble fits well in a paintball gun. Crank down the pressure screw and you can hit well over 400 fps. Its not powered by powder and its not considered a "lethal" weapon.

You can also use non lethal projectile rounds. Such as rubber bullets, sand bags, and cracker shells.

http://www.conceptsinammunition.com/Sho ... s/12ga.htm
Last edited by Steelheadin360 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:08 am

source saying my above comments are legal

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov ... fornia.pdf

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Check out this article, guy in San Diego with a fish got pulled into the water by a furbag.

Only a matter of time until somebody buys the farm around these things. They are getting more violent. Last Fall, I cut the gills on a Silver like always. I had a rope about 8 foot long with a loop in the end, put the other end through the mouth and out the gills. Heard a blurp and then say a Seal about 10 feet away with my Silver in his mouth. The attack was so violent he pulled the rope clean through the fishes jaw, no problem.

Officials: Sea lion pulls man into San Diego bay

Mary Bowerman, USA TODAY Network 10:48 a.m. EDT April 6, 2015

A man posing for a picture with a trophy fish Sunday saw the tables turn when a hungry sea lion tried to make a meal out of him.

Suddenly, the hunter became the hunted.

The 62-year-old man was holding a fish he caught in a San Diego baywhen a sea lion lunged over the railing of the boat and pulled him overboard, officials said.

The 300-pound sea lion tried to grab the fish but instead caught the man's arm, pulling him down into 20 feet of water in Mission Bay, FOX 5 reported.

"We estimated that he was in the water for 15 to 20 seconds. At that point, the sea lion let go and he was able to jump back into his boat," San Diego lifeguard Lt. John Sandmeyer told FOX 5.

The man had bites on his hands and feet and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, according to the San Diego Fire and Rescue Department, the Los Angeles Times reported.

While sea lions don't typically bite people, an Alaskan man was bitten on his rear while sitting on a boat railing in January.

Follow @MaryBowerman on Twitter.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:05 pm

I have refrained from the beginning of this thread, but now I WILL say it;

Time to start killing those seals, sealions, and whatever!
Tom.

Interests: living

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Amx wrote:I have refrained from the beginning of this thread, but now I WILL say it;

And the cormorants. It's a wonder any smolts make it to the open ocean with them working the rivers and streams.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:31 pm

G-Man wrote:
Amx wrote:I have refrained from the beginning of this thread, but now I WILL say it;

And the cormorants. It's a wonder any smolts make it to the open ocean with them working the rivers and streams.
Yes! There have been LOTS of those on Sawyer and Meridian the past 2 or 3 years. Didn't have those before. I read a couple/few years ago those were to be open season, I guess the authorities chickened out on that.
Tom.

Interests: living

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:30 pm

I grew up in the Kenton district of north Portland, born in 1944. We only lived 2 miles from the Columbia and we used to ride our bikes down to the beach area below the hwy 99 (now I5) bridge. In the 50's we spent the summer there fishing and swimming. There was a backwater lake just above where the R&R bridge crosses the river. I never saw or heard of a California Sealion or a Cormorant.

I think the things are non native invasive species and should be treated like it.