Rufus Pics

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
northfork
Lieutenant

Rufus Pics

Post by northfork » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:21 am

Tried to post some pics in the report but couldn't get it to work. So I will try here. My 2 went 7#7oz and 8#8oz, the guy next to me caught that 10# + pig.
Attachments
10+__pig_on_a_jig.JPG
10+__pig_on_a_jig.JPG (120.81 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
2_decent_fish.JPG
2_decent_fish.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Rufus Pics

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:53 am

unreal. great pics! I added the one pic of you with the two fish. They were in a file format that wasn't recognized. Best to save the photo as a .jpg for the web. You may have done that, for whatever reason it didn't work.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm

wow those are huge!
are those natural fish, or stocked?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Stocked, they are pen raised triploids...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Gotta love them triploids!
Nice job Bill. I bet they'll be tasty when they come out of the smoker. :chef:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm

What pigs! The fish that is...

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Stocked, they are pen raised triploids...
of course these fish are stocked. They don't occur naturally but these fish have been in the lake a few years. They, the indians, don't raise them to this size in the pens. Don't knock um until you fished for um.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:23 pm

:cyclopsan WOW!! :cyclopsan

Nice catches northfork!

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:48 pm

stampie wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:Stocked, they are pen raised triploids...
of course these fish are stocked. They don't occur naturally but these fish have been in the lake a few years. They, the indians, don't raise them to this size in the pens. Don't knock um until you fished for um.
???

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm

the one thing i dont like about some of the triploids that are stocked is there are badly mis-shapen and look mutated, i know there is nothing wrong with them but their looks are not scoring any points in my book. WDFW is going to stock them in a lake near me soon so maybe i will get a shot at some holdovers next year.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:27 am

Did you see anyone out on the water jigging for Walleye? I cant wait to get back out there for some Eyes, I spent alot of time on that section of the "lake" last year.
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:38 am

I dont believe there are any Walleye in that section of the Columbia River. I have never seen one caught there. You must be thinking of somewhere else. :cyclops:
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:51 am

Fisherman_max wrote:the one thing i dont like about some of the triploids that are stocked is there are badly mis-shapen and look mutated, i know there is nothing wrong with them but their looks are not scoring any points in my book. WDFW is going to stock them in a lake near me soon so maybe i will get a shot at some holdovers next year.
Yep I agree. Nothing more then fun to target...I don't like keeping them anymore. Not worth it for their taste.....I CnR the triploids so you all can keep em...
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:10 am

Yep I agree. Nothing more then fun to target...I don't like keeping them anymore. Not worth it for their taste.....I CnR the triploids so you all can keep em...[/quote]

Sam- Have you ever tried the Rufus triploids for eating? These things are as pink as can be and some of the best tasting fish I have ever had cooked or smoked.
Attachments
Sink.JPG
Sink.JPG (91.19 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
Rack_Small.JPG
Rack_Small.JPG (60.63 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:18 am

I agree with Sam. Other than the "fun to target" comment. Joe Heater probly likes to target them though... :-({|=
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 am

Hal- There are Walleye in this part of the river. Don't think anybody was targeting them last weekend. But have talked to the locals and they say just below the island above the net pens is a good spot and also where Nespelum creek dumps in above the net pens is another good spot later in the year.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:57 am

I know Hal has pics of him with Walleye at Rufus Woods but I think there is a witness that will testify that he caught them at Banks Lake and just took pics of them at RW. If you guys are looking for a good smallmouth fisherman, that Hal is your guy. He isn't much for walleyes though.

But I still dont think there are walleye in Rufus Woods. Are you all sure about that?
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:52 pm

northfork wrote:
Sam- Have you ever tried the Rufus triploids for eating? These things are as pink as can be and some of the best tasting fish I have ever had cooked or smoked.
I don't really love the taste of triploids....I've had them from quite a few other lakes, not Rufus, but can't imagine they would be that much different....Guess I'll have to try one if I ever make it out there to fish...

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:11 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
northfork wrote:
I don't really love the taste of triploids....I've had them from quite a few other lakes, not Rufus, but can't imagine they would be that much different....Guess I'll have to try one if I ever make it out there to fish...
Rufus triploids are claimed to be the best tasting trout ever. High fat content.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:43 pm

There definately are walleye in Rufus Woods. We fish trips until we get our limit then either troll or jig for walleye. Eye's are a bit harder to catch than trips but once you find them you can get a limit of eaters.
Life's short - fish hard!