Trout/salmon handling methods

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Heatherlyfish
Angler

Trout/salmon handling methods

Post by Heatherlyfish » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:57 am

I am new to fishing in this area. I spent most of my life fishing in the central USA, fishing large mouth bass, white bass, crappie, walleye and all those fun joyous fish found in the lakes and private ponds and rivers of that region. All catch and release to and lure fishing. Basically it is too hot for there to be much trout fishing in KS. Although they occasionally stocked them.
Out here there is a lot of trout and or salmon fishing. I am sometimes able to use lures but often it is too crowded or such to do so. I am thinking of expanding to river fishing catch and release.. with occasionally keeping fish. I have or will have(I just lost my second knot-less net in a row) a knot-less net soon. I am wondering about a good size for one and type. Also are there any special methods that make it easier to get a hook out of a trout you want to release. Any gear that makes it easier or more likely they will go on for another day? Any methods or techniques that make it easier appreciated.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Trout/salmon handling methods

Post by BentRod » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:40 pm

For C&R (catch and release) of trout, barbless hooks and a pair of hemostats usually will ensure a healthy release when using most flies and artificial lures. Hemostats are not a necessity, but do come in handy on occasion.