Floatable rivers

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Cascadian
Petty Officer

Floatable rivers

Post by Cascadian » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:14 pm

I just bought a drift boat and wanted to get recommendations for river sections that are currently floatable. Easy floats for a beginner would be best. So far I'm thinking Cowlitz or Yakima but I've never been down either one. Any recommendations on put-in and take-out locations? Also how about the Skykomish or Snohomish?
Thanks in advance!

spoonman
Captain

Re: Floatable rivers

Post by spoonman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:59 pm

My first drift was from sultan to ben howard on the sky. Its a pretty easy float nothing crazy. Its pretty low right now, but you shouldnt have to get out and walk at all. But if you want to actually have a chance at catching fish, I would try the cow. Ive never floated it, but I can tell you this about the sky in late August on an even year, it'll pretty much just be a boat ride.

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks for the tip. Any recommended spots to put in and take out on the Cowlitz?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:00 am

Barrier to Blue creek is the drift you want. Very simple, straightforward. Lots of good looking water. Stay a while at the top anchered up with divers or floats, right below th boat launch is one of the most productive areas. Fish the back eddy's and deep runs, bounce the bottom at the big slot at Baker Rock. There are steelhead and kings in there now, soon it will have plenty of coho. Be careful when you anchor up, there is a lot of bed rock that will eat your anchor if you're not careful, I've got 2 sitting on the bottom over the years. Coon shrimp are going to be a good bet for steelhead, as well as a 3.5 maglip. Look for steady flows, hen they monkey around with the water it throws off the bite.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:44 pm

I dont have a drifter no more. I have to rely on the kindness of my friends to do a nice float these days.

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:30 am

I'm a green pea. Only 2 years in WA and really only 1 fishing. However I love to fish.

Finally caught silvers last year. I kept 19 and all about 8-10 lbs. Got all on my home river the Snohomish. Not a good looking river for WA. I doubt it is a float river. It is more trolling or anchoring. The only good water I found was above the Pilchuck up to the Bar areas. I wanted really fresh fish so I didn't do the Sky.

However... I wonder what the huge number of Pinks caused. I'm not sure the Snohomish would be the same if the Pinks weren't hogging up the Sky.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Yes the Snohomish sucks, and the sky is even worse. You totally shouldnt fish there. I wouldnt recommend it to any one :^o

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:07 am

yes, the Snohomish and the Sky are horrible for fishing.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:26 pm

horrible fishing on both of them.. dont waste your time [rolleyes]