No reports for the Quil this week? Sounds "fishy".

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
KarpKilla
Petty Officer

No reports for the Quil this week? Sounds "fishy".

Post by KarpKilla » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:40 pm

Anyone got any news on the Big Quilcene? Are people trying to hide something? Surely fish would be here by now right?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: No reports for the Quil this week? Sounds "fishy".

Post by Amx » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:52 pm

go fish it and let everyone know
Tom.

Interests: living

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:58 pm

:-$ There weren't many fish around last time I was out Wednesday, and heard from several people that there was nothing Thursday or Friday either. So things still aren't looking too good. Fish are a little late. But still you never know unless you go out and fish it. But once someone mentions there's fish coming in, its gonna be crowded. It's always nice the first few days the fish come in and there's hardly anyone on the river. :) Its fun till all the crowds show up and people start trying to snag fish right next to me with jigs, or with weight 3 inches below a 4/0 hook. Really kills the egg bite.

KarpKilla
Petty Officer

Post by KarpKilla » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 pm

I was out Wednesday as well and I only saw one by the bridge. I guess no one fished the Q this weekend.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

thinking about hitting quillcene bay in the next week

FlyGirl
Petty Officer

Post by FlyGirl » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Just read this about warm waters in Washington sending salmon to Canada....

BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) -- Scientists believe that unusually warm water off the Washington coast is sending the vast majority of sockeye salmon to Canadian waters, leaving Puget Sound fishermen with nearly empty nets.

According to data from the Pacific Salmon Commission, nearly 2.9 million sockeye salmon have been caught in Canadian waters, while only about 98,000 have been netted in Washington through Aug. 19.

The Bellingham Herald reports (http://bit.ly/1q6oeqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that during a typical year, the salmon run is usually split around 50 percent between Canadian and Washington waters.

Several factors could be behind why sockeye salmon diversion, but researchers are looking closely at an area of ocean water off the coast that is about 3 degrees Celsius warmer than normal.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:34 pm

I have been fishing therefor the past couple days hoping fforthe big push but nothing, no big school or big catches yet. I do believe the fish are mmoving at night cuz hatchery has quite a few fish, all chrome but a lot of jacks and small 3-6lbers, some darkies too