Return to Baker Lake 2012

Post your fishing related videos here.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Return to Baker Lake 2012

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:36 pm

This year the fishing at Baker Lake has been tough. No longer the slam-dunk of limts by 8am, although there are some that still have these fish dialed in. For the rest of us it's a matter of putting in your time, having the right gear, and a bit of luck. Lot's of netting shots - maybe you're in the video!

PS, JoAnn did a great job in the interview shots keeping the video steady on bouncy water. [thumbup]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Return to Baker Lake 2012

Post by Toni » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm

NICE, nice!
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Acefishon
Angler

Post by Acefishon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:59 am

I was there 23-27 went 16 for 20 did better than most but for two guys one limit 8 hr days not greatlike past two years

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:05 am

Good job on the video and thank you for sharing the valuable but often overlooked information.

Thanks again for sharing your booth and the good conversation.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:04 am

Great video! When you show the dodger and bait in the water is that the action that I should see with the bait flailing side to side? Thanks for all that you do for the website so folks like me trying to learn, Scott.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:03 am

good video!
thanks for the explanation on "stacking". I didn't know you could have multiple lines on one rigger.. something i'll be trying when i'm setup.. (sure you saw a question i had on one of your kokanee vids on youtube ;) )

p.s. be nice if you guys could change the BBCode for video embeds to support the 640x385 res that's used for HD videos.. its a lot more appealing to the eyes :) and everyone shoots in HD now..

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:58 am

I did a quick search of the forum about "stacking" lines, and it led me to this thread. So i have been trying to understand "stacking" lines on a down-rigger. So from Mike's video i get that the bottom line should be further away from the ball than the top line. I have read other places that with kokanee, guys run the bottom line closer to the boat, and the top line further back, with the idea that if a fish may have came up for the first line, may be triggered to come up a little further for the 2nd lure. so that is sort of confusing to me. I also wonder about rod placement on the boat. on my boat, i have a set of holders on the riggers, then another set 2 ft. towards the bow from the riggers. Would the rod towards the bow be the bottom line? or the top? tangles can be a nightmare, so i would like to get this ironed out before i give it a try.
Eat, sleep, fish

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:49 am

Yes, I've seen the same suggestion about stacking the top line further back. All I can say is when I've done it that way for sockeye I end up getting tangled lines. Maybe kokanee are more forgiving.
For rod placement, deep rods go on the farthest back rod holders. Again, this is my experience. When I did it the other way I got tangles and lost fish.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:05 pm

bottom... stern rod placement pointed straight back
top.... anywhere forward of the stern or bottom rod but pointing out to the side 90*

depending on the distance between your stack and the speed you travel while stacking and fishing... you may want to shorten up the distance between your hooks and the cable... faster/longer, shorter/slower
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:16 pm

My two cents, deep rods inside and aft with the shallow rods forward and outboard.