Trolling speed ap for Droid?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lou Smith
Petty Officer

Trolling speed ap for Droid?

Post by Lou Smith » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Does anyone know of a good trolling speed app for my Motorola Droid (original Droid from 2009)? I have tried a few from the Google app store without good results.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Trolling speed ap for Droid?

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 am

It would be kind of hard to make any sort of trolling app as the phone has no way of knowing the water speed. The best thing to use would be the GPS if the phone is equiped.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Lou Smith
Petty Officer

Post by Lou Smith » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 am

Yes, the phone is GPS equipped, but it still needs an app to convert and display miles/hour. The apps I have tried don't do a very good job with slow speeds.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:58 am

I use GPS compass. I have used it in the car to see what it says vs my speedometer as well as kokanee_slayers speed on his boat and it came within .2. It is dependent on satellites.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Lou Smith
Petty Officer

Post by Lou Smith » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks, Toni. Will give it a try.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 am

I was going to say most GPS apps on the phone can display just about what ever you want, it's just a matter of setting the displayed information. Infact I'm pretty sure I've never seen a gps enabled phone that won't display speed.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Bodofish wrote:I was going to say most GPS apps on the phone can display just about what ever you want, it's just a matter of setting the displayed information. Infact I'm pretty sure I've never seen a gps enabled phone that won't display speed.
I can't figure my phone out.
Other apps I have tried don't go slow enough for me to use. I like to know if I am going 1.3 miles an hour.
Once I get my boat up I will have a good fish finding GPS on it. I won't need the phone app any more
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:36 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am

gfakkema wrote:I have had similar problems. I have tried a couple of different gps and speedo apps and most will only tell you mph in integer values and will not get into decimals. I don't think that the gps is precise enough on most phones to distinguish decimal values. I think that the only way to get an accurate reading more precise than just integer mph values is to get a good fish finder. Just my $.02.
On GPS compass if it can get to the satellites, it works. If the fish bite and it says I am going 1.3mph, if I am going 1.6mph they don't bite I slow down to 1.3mph and they do. It works for me.

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

All GPS devices I've used have trouble giving good values at low speeds (<1MPH). Given how consistent I've seen that I think it might be a limitation of GPS technology and not a particular device/software.

I think it would also depend on how accurate a location fix you are getting, which depends on how good of a signal you get from the satellites. Part of that depends on stuff like the weather. Part by the antenna on the device.

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Mon May 05, 2014 9:27 pm

I've written a free app which figures out speed and works for those slow trolling speeds. Right now it is available for windows phone - enjoy

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... d331834b6f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Just downloaded the Windows app. I'll try it out in a day or so and let you know how it goes :)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 pm

natenez wrote:I've written a free app which figures out speed and works for those slow trolling speeds. Right now it is available for windows phone - enjoy

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... d331834b6f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome, I'll have to give it a try!!!!

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:59 am

I have a droid and I have downloaded a ton of them looking for that same thing and I found the Speedometer by AppAspect if you hit the upper left square it will change the sceen to show your speed in decimals. I love it works for me. I found it in the google play store. I will try and post a link.

Found it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r.location
Thanks,
Eric
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Mon May 19, 2014 2:14 pm

I like My Tracks. Pretty good at SOG and tracking routes. Super good to have a view of trolling tracks and other information too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s.mytracks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:31 pm

natenez wrote:I've written a free app which figures out speed and works for those slow trolling speeds. Right now it is available for windows phone - enjoy

I keep forgetting about your app, but finaly got a chance to try it out last week at Banks Lake trolling for walleye.

I like it! The speed averages after 30 seconds, 1 min, 2 min, etc are especially useful as the instant readings vary so much.

Nice app!

Edit: I was going to leave you a positive review, but cant figure out how to do it!