Newbie fishing lake cavanaugh

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
0371richwiner
Angler

Newbie fishing lake cavanaugh

Post by 0371richwiner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 am

First of All thanks to whoever started this site. I'm moving here from indiana and my inlaws have a cabin on lake cavanaugh. We are buying a cabin also here on the lake. Looking through it looks like some people fish it but not many. I've been out on the lake a few times here in the past week and have managed to catch some nice cutthroat in the 12-15" range. And a few rainbows here and their. The kokanee have evaded me though. My equipment is fairly limited due to the difference of fishing between indiana and here. Just curious if anyone lives here or nearbye, maybe we could setup a trip here in the next few weeks.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Newbie fishing lake cavanaugh

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Just posted a fishing report. There's around 70 reports for you to check out on Cavanaugh. Good luck, I've had great days and tough days.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 pm

I concur Mike. A buddy of mine lived on the lake in his families cabin while saving for a house. It was just insane, one day you couldn't keep'em off anything you tossed and the next you couldn't buy a bite to save your life. That's when I really started watching the barometric pressure. Pressure is going up, good, pressure stable high, good, pressure dropping bad! pressure stable low, roll the dice. Plenty of fish in the lake, pick your days to tease them. =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 pm

if your going to be here in june the rivers open and cavanaugh creek offers awesome fly fishing to dink rainbows, 60+ days are normal from june to mid july
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:13 pm

One of my favorite lakes because its tucked up into the mountains and there is never a lot of people on it. Great kokanee fishing throughout the summer. I will start going up there a bunch in june

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:14 pm

One of my favorite lakes because its tucked up into the mountains and there is never a lot of people on it. Great kokanee fishing throughout the summer. I will start going up there a bunch in june

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:41 pm

0371richwiner wrote:First of All thanks to whoever started this site. I'm moving here from indiana and my inlaws have a cabin on lake cavanaugh. We are buying a cabin also here on the lake. Looking through it looks like some people fish it but not many. I've been out on the lake a few times here in the past week and have managed to catch some nice cutthroat in the 12-15" range. And a few rainbows here and their. The kokanee have evaded me though. My equipment is fairly limited due to the difference of fishing between indiana and here. Just curious if anyone lives here or nearbye, maybe we could setup a trip here in the next few weeks.
I used to light up the Kokanee on Cav. about 3-4 years ago, but as has been mentioned, I think it's a little early for the Cav. Kokes. That lake is undoubtedly a little slower to warm-up in water temp. I would go back to the report history and follow closely the dates.
I like it up there, but it is kind of a drag for me to drive all the way from Seattle, when the other fish (Cutthroat) are so skinny in that lake. Big heads, skinny bodies. Just get your techniques and gear from the report history.

troutfinatic
Petty Officer

Post by troutfinatic » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has struggled to catch fish on this lake. :-s
The view is hard to beat. [thumbup]
As for the Kokane, look for the fish jumping in the middle of the lake, they tell you where they are. [thumbsup]
Sounds like you got the cutthroat figured out, wedding ring lures work good on them.
Ive seen some very big fish on my fish finder there, never seem to get one to bite.
I would like to know what they are?
I fished this lake 1 to 2 times a year, for the last 15 years.
Its an hour plus drive for me, so I prefer closer lakes.
Cabin on that lake in summer must be nice. [omg]

0371richwiner
Angler

Post by 0371richwiner » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:46 pm

oh its definitely beautiful up here. Im from indiana where we have plenty of fishing but not much to look at. Thanks for the hints. Im still getting skunked on the kokes but i am starting to get some bigger cutthroats. I bought some more equipment so hopefully they will pay off.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:14 am

I would kill to have a cabin up there