the new trilene xl

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
goonatic
Commander

the new trilene xl

Post by goonatic » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 pm

so i spooled my pflueger president with some 10lb trilene xl, the new reformulated stuff in the fancy new box, and ill tell you, its some strong stuff, it stretches more than maxima yes, but not more than the old trilene xl, and its waaaay more limp and no memory after sitting on the reel for about 4 months, the coils are very insignificant, and it casts like a dream. but what really suprised me was when i tied a palomar with it and tried to break it by hand about an hour ago, it would not break for some reason, i wrapped it around my hand and kept pulling but it was too stubborn! finally it broke after what seemed like way more than 10lb, it felt like i was pulling on 25lb mono or something, so i tied and tested palomar knots with 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20lb maxima UG, and maybe i got some super spool, but this trilene felt like it was breakin at around the same amount of pressure as the 20lb maxima, im still sitting here tying and pulling knots, and i havent seen the trilene deviate much. any of you guys out there have some sort of explanation? [cursing]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: the new trilene xl

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Simple, it's not 10lb, it's 20 lb. As usual they under-rate their line like everyone does so the customer thinks the line is great stuff. [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:34 pm

well ill be damned, that is some THIN 20lb test haha!!

angry john
Petty Officer

Post by angry john » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:08 pm

compare lines of the same diameter. Thats the way i do it. Some arbitrary rating is just that arbitrary.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:17 pm

50 years ago 10 lb line was 10lb or close. And lets say at a dia of about .014". Then the material get better and stronger at smaller dia. Today the 10lb line is so much better and so smaller dia. at the same strength. BUT, the companies still want the 10lb strength so they label the spool as such, but the line is so much better it is actually closer to 15 or even 20. If the 6 lb line I use in dropshotting can tip the bass boat over a few inches while trying to break it loose from the bottom you just KNOW that line is no where near 6 lb test, it HAS to be 10 or stronger.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Also every few years the line companies will come out with a sales pitch something like: "Now even stronger". Meaning the 10 lb line is stronger, BUT how can it be STRONGER, and STILL be 10 lb line? Because it isn't, it's NOW 16lb line because it WAS 14 lb line, not 10 lb line.
Tom.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't think I will be putting in for a record, but does any one know do they go by whats on the box or what the line tests at.

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm

i understand different companies and lines have different diameters and such, but this is trilene xl were talkin about, its diameter is .011 some of the thinnest "10lb" line out there, but its strong, and usually thicker lines means stronger, especially with maxima,

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:51 am

Glad to hear they improved it. I got a bad box of it a couple years ago, probably will not buy it again. Like their floro. Trilene has a reoccurring quality control issue that I will be hesitant to test again ever.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

wlai
Petty Officer

Post by wlai » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:55 am

Which of Trilene's Flouro do you like? In the market for some and am so confused by all the marketing hype of the many variations.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:36 am

For a line class record you have to send in a minimum length, say 6 feet, maybe 10 feet, then IPA somesuch name of the organization, tests the line, determines the REAL/actual strength, and so sets the new record, if it is for that line class. They don't pay attention to what is listed on the box.
Tom.

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 pm

wlai are you looking for fluoro as leader or mainline? seaguar invisx is good for both, but id personally use fluoro in general just for leaders, for leaders i like seaguar sts, invisx and abrazx, viscious fluoro is decent, pline original and halo are pretty good, ive heard that maximas fluoro is also very strong, and berkelys pro fluoro is working well so far, but i wouldnt trust those fluoros that are like 10 dollars like berkley vanish, stren fluorocast, spiderwire ez fluoro just because all i see are usually negative reviews for them

angry john
Petty Officer

Post by angry john » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:18 pm

goonatic wrote:wlai are you looking for fluoro as leader or mainline? seaguar invisx is good for both, but id personally use fluoro in general just for leaders, for leaders i like seaguar sts, invisx and abrazx, viscious fluoro is decent, pline original and halo are pretty good, ive heard that maximas fluoro is also very strong, and berkelys pro fluoro is working well so far, but i wouldnt trust those fluoros that are like 10 dollars like berkley vanish, stren fluorocast, spiderwire ez fluoro just because all i see are usually negative reviews for them
Where did we cross over to flouro? I love flouro but if were talking mono then i think XL for the money is top of the pile. I dont fish mono often and have become a big fan of copoly. Sunline sniper and shooter are some of the best and toray super hard upgrade are tops, but really who can afford to fun fish that stuff. Lines like rods are best at an application, and there are few that are good at everything.

The strength of a line is only one of the critical factors in my book and leave out some critical requirements. Knot strength is very important, a weakness in most flouro lines. Abrasion resistance can be very important as well. Fishing in a river across rocks or shell? A hard flouro would be the ticket, and what i use for bottom dragging jigs.

The biggest example of disparity is comparing the same company "Berkeley" in two diffrent lines. XL and XT could not be more different in the same rating. I fish a lot of 10lb and the XL is very nice in this size and very manageable. The10 lb XT handles like fishing with weed wacker cord.

Line selection is made even more difficult buy what is on the box. Size says .011 inches. Take out a micrometer or a good set of calipers and see what it actually is. I use the MM section as it is much more accurate to the thousandths position. There is also a lot of false claims that only time on the water and good friends will share with you. :cheers:

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:55 pm

well, i addressed wlai in my fluoro post because wlai asked about fluoro... but anyways, i agree, i look at both the inches and mm measurements on my line, thats usually more important for me so i know how much line i have on my reel and i have a mini database in my head about how every line handles and when to use it, maximas usually the trick on my baitcasters though, i have so much of it so i use that mostly, but if i need others ill run to sportco and pick it up, as for spinning, trilene xl, seaguars new senshi mono, the red box of sufix, and p-line cx premium and fluoro clear are usually what i consider, but most of the time good old braid will handle just fine with a leader

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:44 am

goonatic wrote:wlai are you looking for fluoro as leader or mainline? seaguar invisx is good for both, but id personally use fluoro in general just for leaders, for leaders i like seaguar sts, invisx and abrazx, viscious fluoro is decent, pline original and halo are pretty good, ive heard that maximas fluoro is also very strong, and berkelys pro fluoro is working well so far, but i wouldnt trust those fluoros that are like 10 dollars like berkley vanish, stren fluorocast, spiderwire ez fluoro just because all i see are usually negative reviews for them
I have used Vanish for several years now without any issues. When fishing for salmon 8-12 lb, I usually change the leader after I catch. When fishing for trout 6LB I can typically catch fish all day on the same leader.

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:35 pm

really? ive use 2 spools of 12lb test for various leaders and on my baitcaster as i must have gotten lemons, the breaking strength was much lower than my seaguar in 12lb test, and the seaguar was a bit thinner, maybe ill give it a try one day, im a little scared to try it again though haha

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Amx wrote:Also every few years the line companies will come out with a sales pitch something like: "Now even stronger". Meaning the 10 lb line is stronger, BUT how can it be STRONGER, and STILL be 10 lb line? Because it isn't, it's NOW 16lb line because it WAS 14 lb line, not 10 lb line.
that's fascinating, at the same time makes so much sense..10lb is 10lb.

fdelgado17
Angler

Post by fdelgado17 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:00 pm

I have never had a bad box of trilene xl. As for flouro, I have tested vanish, trilene pro grade, and vicious. The Trilene pro grade is the best by far. I use it for trolling bottom bouncers for walleye and it works great as it sinks well, is invisible, has minimum stretch, and is abrasion resistant.