What is the difference....

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Eric24
Angler

What is the difference....

Post by Eric24 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Not to long ago I moved back to WA, I brought my Triton 1860 SC duck/fish boat with a 75 Opti Max with me. I'm thinking about going to a North River type of boat, around 19' - 22' long. I want to fish rivers, bay and crab with it. So what is the difference between an inboard vs jet ( if there is one )?

I know this is a beaten down subject and opinions can play into this but I need help in trying to figure out what is the plus/minus in a prop vs jet?

Thanks,

Eric

sickbayer
Commodore

Re: What is the difference....

Post by sickbayer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:19 am

The difference between 20' NR and a 21' NR is night and day (seahawk model) neither hull is good for a jet outboard but they do offer an inboard jet seahawk. As versatile a jet is, it soon grows old when pounding chop. Good lucking in finding a reasonablely priced one.

Eric24
Angler

Post by Eric24 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:56 am

So a jet outboard is an outboard motor except it has a jet/pump instead of a prop?

Inboard jet is the one when you see a box/motor in the back of the boat, correct?

I don't have to have a north river, I was just using that as an example, should of said aluminum I guess..

Thanks

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:42 am

Yes and yes....north river is the cream of th crop when it comes to cookie cutter boats, and the sky is the limit when you goto precisionweld,customweld. For all the bells and whistles. I owned a thunder jet which was inboard v8 with pump great boat excellent finish can't complain about it. If I had to do it again no. I'd go with outboard prop and v hull.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 am

sickbayer wrote:Yes and yes....north river is the cream of th crop when it comes to cookie cutter boats, and the sky is the limit when you goto precisionweld,customweld. For all the bells and whistles. I owned a thunder jet which was inboard v8 with pump great boat excellent finish can't complain about it. If I had to do it again no. I'd go with outboard prop and v hull.
I don't see the subject come up. So, is a outboard with pump, quieter than a inboard v8 pump? Maybe I have sensitive ears, but when riding under the vinyl cover of a v8 pump. The noise is surprisingly ear deafening. Talking to someone sitting next to you, is like being in a nite club. Might as well be miming words. Also, because of the power loss of the jet, the motor seemed to over-rev whenever increasing speed. Which, adds to the noise.

Can a v8 with jet, be converted over to prop, as easily as a outboard? Given noise, and the ability to switch from pump to prop. Should be a consideration IMO.

While on the subject, what about fuel efficiency when comparing outboard to inboard? I would think the outboard stands hands above in all comparisons, except overall hp.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 am

The growl of a v8 is awesome and ya deafening too, I've been out on a few boats with outboards and boy can't even hear the new models. Fuel on the inboard was horrible

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm

It depends on where you will be fishing the majority of the time when considering what type of boat and motor. Are you going to be fishing the salt or river more? and listen to Sickbayer, he really knows his boats

Eric24
Angler

Post by Eric24 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm listening to all comments you all give, thanks!

I'm trying to learn the fishing here so to say salt or river I can't say, I'm used to mostly river and lake fishing back in the TN and KY area. I would like to get out more In the salt but the tides and such make me nervous since I have never really have navigated out there much except when I take mine out to duck hunt.

So if I was to say mainly river or salt would there be a clear choice of motor maybe?

Example:

River - jet
Salt - prop???

Thanks

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Think about it like this, most of the year the rivers are only going to be open or good for a couple months out of the year. Where as the salt is pritty much open for something year round so you can get more uses out of a boat that can handle the salt. If you want to go salt more you will want to go with a prop. And if you want to do both salt and river then you can always get a pump to switch out the prop on the outboard. You just have to remember with any kind of jet you will not get very good mpg compared to a prop.

Eric24
Angler

Post by Eric24 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Ok, thanks... I think a prop is the way to go then. I think instead of rivers it will be bigger lakes the more I think about it...some trolling or whatever for fish as well. Plus like u said the salt offers more year around, thanks again...

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:18 pm

also depending on what size boat you get you can always run a prop in the lower rivers. I run a prop in the lower skagit and if you know where to go it is not a big issue

Eric24
Angler

Post by Eric24 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:25 pm

I had my boat ( 75 merc prop ) in the skagit as well fishing for humps and I use that river and sloughs for duck hunting as we'll. there was some shallow spots but it was manageable I guess....

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Yea its fine when you know where the sandbars and logs are. I even saw big fiberglass bay boats in the skagit this year, humpies brought out all kinds of people

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 pm

There has been a lot of great advice on this thread. I would look into many boat brands. I have been looking at aluminum boats for some time. I like hews craft and cabelas sea hawks are nice boats. I like the high sides. If your going to do alot of lake fishing and in the sound I would look into a prop my self. I like outboards for the room on board I never liked working around an engine compartment when fighting a fish. I know you can fish the lower skagit as mentioned as well as the snohomish from the mouth to the town of snohomish. I know you could go past the rail bridge with a prop as some of our WL have. But I have not. Im also not a fan of the noise you get from pumps and there not as fuel efficient.
Motor boat: I dont think you can change a V8 inboard pump to a prop. Good luck and happy hunting for that boat. Oh and get one with a canopy and side curtains it is easier to put one down than wish you had one. Hope I helped

Eric24
Angler

Post by Eric24 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:11 am

I need one with higher sides and the curtains, I think my boat does just fine but if I want to get out on salt or fish more in all weather I need a different boat. I'm really leaning towards an outboard now, I thought about going to Cabelas just to "look", haha. I'm in no rush, need to sell mine first before I buy anyways.

Thanks

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Theres no rush when buying a boat. Do your research and find one that will fit you needs and price range. Im in a 16 ft open lund right now and I wish I had a windshield and top on most days. Im personally looking for a boat that will work great in the rivers and as well as the salt being able to switch back and forth between prop and pump. With a boat like that you will have to make sacrifices because the bottom degree you need for a jet and rivers are going to pound the hell out of ya but I am convinced that it should not bother me to much because im young and can take a beating haha.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:56 pm

I own an 18' North River Seahawk that I bought new in 2005 with a 115 Yam 4strk and a T8. Love it, I've used it all over, 5-6 trips to Ucluelet BC, many trips to Sekiu and regular use in all the local PS spots and the tidewtr Sno and in the Sam and Lake Wa now and then for Cutts. Plenty of room and it has handled some rough water. Granted I wouldn't take it 40 miles offshore for Albies but I have had it 10-12 miles off of Ukie. I could have afforded a 20, 21, whatever, but the 18' would fit in my garage, the others wouldn't. I don't like storing a boat outside. In this climate it is hard on the boat, there are security issues these days and I just didn't want the hassle and expense of storing it somewhere. I've taken my Seahawk in the Sno to that stretch above the Pilchuck several times.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Another happy customer for NR.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:07 pm

I wish they still made the north river mariner

Eric24
Angler

Post by Eric24 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Can we get some pics of these boats and the set ups maybe?