Barbed barbless hooks

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Barbed barbless hooks

Post by Jerry H » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Has anyone used or seen these hooks? (See link below) I have used the sickle hooks and liked them. Now they have added what they say are Washington and Oregon approved barbs that release when pressure is released and the hook is backed out. Looks like a good idea if it works and really meets the barbless requirements.

http://www.anglerinnovations.com/collec ... 832-ssc-cp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Re: Barbed barbless hooks

Post by bugmasta » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:27 am

interesting concept. i would be willing to give them a try. not sure how you would confirm they are approved or not other than finding a warden and having him inspect. i guess you could take one by the WDFW office and ask.

fisherben
Petty Officer

Post by fisherben » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:05 am

I love sickle hooks and use them as much as possible. It's sad that Matzuo only makes them as small as size 6 anymore though. These semi-barbless sickle hooks look even better but it seems that the company is pulling a Matzuo and is only making hooks for large fish. Come on, I'm not putting a #1 hook on a 1/8 oz spinner [thumbdn]

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:11 am

ive bought size 6 and eight sickles at cabelas (lacey) and at sportco, i like them for smaller fish for the size, but anything over like 10 lbs will easily straighten those sickles into pickles lol unless you have your drag set suuper low

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 am

At one time, there was a Warden in the Soap Lake area that, reportedly" would test barbless hooks by pushing the barb through a cotton ball. If any cotton was on the hook when he withdrew it, it was not barbless.

The rules don't read that way, but that was his "reading of the rules". I understand that this warden would often not even attend court, and if anyone challenged the ticket they won, but most would spend more money in the challenge then in the ticket so they don't.

With that in mind, I doubt this hook would pass the cotton ball test, but as for passing the definition of barbless, who knows. :scratch:

More importantly, would that design actually help reduce pull offs? I don't think so, but then again, my opinion is as well supported as the crooked Warden. [crying]