October 5th 2013 Snohomish/Skykomish riverside clean up

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Re: October 5th 2013 Snohomish/Skykomish riverside clean up

Post by Mordalphus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:30 pm

chongo469 wrote:
Mordalphus wrote:Oh nvm, didn't see oneshots post
Still may work out in the A.M.... Not sure who's riding with who so bring the PFD just in case you get a spot on my boat or someone else's ...
Will do, I always keep it in the car just in case .

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I got extra PDF i'm bringing too just in case..

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:48 pm

I'll bring hot links.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Alright then, I've got the garbage bags and gloves. Let's catch some fish, clean up some trash, eat some food, and give away some sponsor gear. [thumbup]

See you all tomorrow morning. :cheers:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Change of plans! See everyone tomorrow. Ill swing by the store and grab some kind of food.

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:26 pm

I am gonna try and make it, might not be able to make though. I just heard that my dad wants to fish, have fun guys!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 pm

This is what we got. Keep it clean guys!
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG (95.97 KiB) Viewed 3169 times

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:30 pm

This is what else we got - kharma :cheers:
Attachments
cohosm.jpg
cohosm.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:49 pm

My report:

Clean Up Day on the Snohomish!

Met up with Gringo Pescador, Oneshot, Steelheadin360, and other members of the site for some fishing and cleaning up of the Snoho. We broke into groups and headed off for some fishing, cleaning, and then lunch.

I got to fish in Gringo’s new boat, which is a pleasure indeed. We ran up river about ½ mile to the island where the channel splits, and went up the right side, and found a spot to anchor up. Initially our success was limited to a few old humpies, but Steelheadin360 broke the ice on our first coho, caught on a retrieved red plug. After that the coho started going slow but steady. The rest of our fish were either caught on thin blade spoons, or, for me, a small chartreuse spinner. Best success came casting up against the shore and then doing a steady retrieve.

We got some bright chrome today. Each angler got one fish, I lost a fish, and then Gringo schooled us by catching his limit, including a couple hogs in the 11 pound range.

We called it late morning and worked our way back to Cady, stopping along the way at various shore locations and cleaning up various bits of garbage. Lot’s of shrimp containers up in the weeds. When we returned to Cady we met up with the rest of the cleanup crew and had a very nice potluck lunch and gave out freebies from WL.com sponsors. Thanks to (and I hope I don’t forget anyone): chongo469 and his daughter, Mordalphus, drysuperfly52, bassplayer17, 4steelhead… I know I’m missing someone…

I’d like to thank the site members that came out today and fulfilled the commitment to help clean up the river. You guys are great! Also, as we sat down to lunch guide Nate Treat arrived, garbage bags in hand. He went up to the Wallace area, got his limit, and proceeded to filled up three large garbage bags with trash. Some people talk the talk, Nate walks the walk. Thanks Nate!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:40 pm

That was just the trash I brought back. Some nice folks halfway through the hike offered to take my full bags off my hand. The stretch of river between the hatchery and highway 2 is completely clean now. Oh, and I caught all the fish in there, so don't bother fishing up that way, there's nothing left.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:22 am

That was fun, guys. Sorry i couldn't stick around for the potluck!

Was great meeting a few of you, great people all around. Thanks again for haulin me around, chongo469!

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:26 am

Nice to meet all of you guys. I had a good time, great food, and thanks for the freebies. Some guys saw what we were doing and gave me their eggs. Now I have 14 more skeins cured up with some advice from Steelheadin360 and Natetreat. Looks like my egg stock is set! :)

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:41 pm

4steelhead wrote:Now I have 14 more skeins cured up with some advice from Steelheadin360 and Natetreat. Looks like my egg stock is set! :)

There ya go! It was good seeing everyone. :cheers:

Mike- thanks for getting this together
Gringo- Thanks for the boat ride
Nate- looking forward to wednesday

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm in the process of adding Premium Membership to the people that came to the event. You'll need to log out and back in to activate it. Bear with me, and if I miss you, please let me know. If you were already a PM you got a free year added.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Sweet, thanks Mike!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Mike Carey wrote:My report:

Met up with Gringo Pescador, Oneshot, Steelheadin360, and other members of the site for some fishing and cleaning up of the Snoho. We broke into groups and headed off for some fishing, cleaning, and then lunch.

I got to fish in Gringo’s new boat, which is a pleasure indeed. We ran up river about ½ mile to the island where the channel splits, and went up the right side, and found a spot to anchor up. Initially our success was limited to a few old humpies, but Steelheadin360 broke the ice on our first coho, caught on a retrieved red plug. After that the coho started going slow but steady. The rest of our fish were either caught on thin blade spoons, or, for me, a small chartreuse spinner. Best success came casting up against the shore and then doing a steady retrieve.

We got some bright chrome today. Each angler got one fish, I lost a fish, and then Gringo schooled us by catching his limit, including a couple hogs in the 11 pound range.
yes your missing me, strider43, you were late getting back to the park and I to leave to see my Father in the hospital. 4 Sleehead and I cleaned at the 522

We called it late morning and worked our way back to Cady, stopping along the way at various shore locations and cleaning up various bits of garbage. Lot’s of shrimp containers up in the weeds. When we returned to Cady we met up with the rest of the cleanup crew and had a very nice potluck lunch and gave out freebies from WL.com sponsors. Thanks to (and I hope I don’t forget anyone): chongo469 and his daughter, Mordalphus, drysuperfly52, bassplayer17, 4steelhead… I know I’m missing someone…

yes your missing me, [woot] strider43, you were late getting back to the park and I had to leave to see my Father in the hospital. 4 Sleehead and I cleaned at the 522

I’d like to thank the site members that came out today and fulfilled the commitment to help clean up the river. You guys are great! Also, as we sat down to lunch guide Nate Treat arrived, garbage bags in hand. He went up to the Wallace area, got his limit, and proceeded to filled up three large garbage bags with trash. Some people talk the talk, Nate walks the walk. Thanks Nate!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:46 pm

4steelhead wrote:Nice to meet all of you guys. I had a good time, great food, and thanks for the freebies. Some guys saw what we were doing and gave me their eggs. Now I have 14 more skeins cured up with some advice from Steelheadin360 and Natetreat. Looks like my egg stock is set! :)

????????????????????????????

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Mike Carey wrote:My report:

yes your missing me, strider43, you were late getting back to the park and I had to leave to see my Father in the hospital. 4 Sleehead and I cleaned at the 522

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Can't forget Strider! Always a pleasure, 522 gets pretty gnarly too. We did good work boys. Let's make it an annual thing. I'd like to do it twice a year, maybe when the steelhead show up? Clean up after the coho are gone?

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 am

An excuse to go Steelhead fishing? I am in!