Lamiglas Cascade Pro rods

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishingThePacNW
Commander

Lamiglas Cascade Pro rods

Post by FishingThePacNW » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:06 pm

So Im lookin to buy another Lami but don't have to 200-400 for the cert pros or g1000 but I came across the Lami cascade pro and was wondering what your guys's input on it was? Is it a good rod or should I just get another x11?

king killer
Warrant Officer

Re: Lamiglas Cascade Pro rods

Post by king killer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 pm

This is the rod that made me loyal to Lamiglas. I had it for 2 years and this and XMG are my favorite lamis so far. This is a very strong rod. Great if you are bushwhacking. By far one of my favorite king rods !

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:11 pm

i don't have any experience with the cascade pro...

I do own 7 Lamiglas rods and the most I have ever paid for one brand new is $65... IF you can get down to the factory during the weekday you can get some killer scores on rods... 2nd's, demo's and closeouts... they are in Woodland ... exit 21 on I-5....

I own 3 cert pro's ,2 excel, 2 competitor... i do love the cert pro's the best...

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:14 pm

So there is this cert pro on ebay for 130 its a 9'6 light action, it sounds awesome but i was worried about it not holding a big coho or steel? So you really got a cert pro for 65 or under?!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:38 pm

A light won't have enough backbone for coho to set the hook good. This past weekend I was using an medium light x-11 and had trouble getting good hook sets drifting eggs but float fishing it was fine plus fighting the fish was crazy fun but I suggest getting a medium for bait caster or medium light for a spinning rod

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 am

Brat Bonker wrote:A light won't have enough backbone for coho to set the hook good. This past weekend I was using an medium light x-11 and had trouble getting good hook sets drifting eggs but float fishing it was fine plus fighting the fish was crazy fun but I suggest getting a medium for bait caster or medium light for a spinning rod
Light action rods work great for coho just remember you have to match the thickness of your hook with the action of your rod. Skinnier hooks like Vision work excellent on light action rods.

As far as X11 or cascade pro goes they are both complete garbage in my opinion. They're both made in China and not in Woodland Wa. Everybody knows what kind of quality the country of China produces.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:03 am

If I were a guy with limited funding I would search craigslist religiously for a used rod with better quality. More importantly a lifetime warranty.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 am

If I were a guy with limited funding I would search craigslist religiously for a rod with better quality. Something with long two footed guides and more importantly a lifetime warranty. You can't go wrong with buying a lamiglas cert pro blank or rainshadow and saving up to have it built either.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 am

Aren't rainshadow blanks made in China as well?

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 am

Brat Bonker wrote:A light won't have enough backbone for coho to set the hook good.
False. My coho rod is rated 1-4lb test. I practically can those fish on the hook set too.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:29 pm

spoonman wrote:Aren't rainshadow blanks made in China as well?
The low end ones are.

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:41 pm

I have an x11 baitcaster and i love it, im either going to take a trip to woodland wa and see if i can get a deal or get another x11

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:53 pm

The fish don't care what stick ya got. Get what you can afford. Hopefully someday ill be in a position to buy a highend rod. But until then, ill just have to keep enjoying fishing with what I got. My TFO is my most expensive rod and I love it. But northfork is right about keeping an eye out for good deals. I found a lamiglass 9 foot 6-12 med light spinning for 40 bucks at a pawn shop :cheers: not sure what model, but it is made in woodland and I saw the same one at Cabelas for 200.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:09 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:A light won't have enough backbone for coho to set the hook good.
False. My coho rod is rated 1-4lb test. I practically can those fish on the hook set too.
Do you float fish or use lures cause that type of fishing doesn't really matter but I drift eggs a lot and when they just nip at the eggs I like to have that extra back bone to really drive the hook home but that is just my opinion, I never really thought about the thickness or brand of hook really matter

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:52 pm

I do both, mostly drift fishing though. The amount of sensitivity i have compared to other rods while drift fishing is through the roof. I get plenty of hook set power too. Save the back bone for tossing hardware and pick yourself up a noodle rod for drifting those eggs.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:
fear_no_fish wrote:
Do you float fish or use lures cause that type of fishing doesn't really matter but I drift eggs a lot and when they just nip at the eggs I like to have that extra back bone to really drive the hook home but that is just my opinion, I never really thought about the thickness or brand of hook really matter
Thickness of hook does matter according to what rating of rod you have. If your running a lighter action rod you are most likely running lighter line. When you are doing so there is less backbone in your hook set so a thinner more wirey hook with penetrate deeper than a thicker hook like an owner, gami or mustad ultra point. Those hooks I just mentioned I only run on medium action rods and up.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:
fear_no_fish wrote:
Thickness of hook does matter according to what rating of rod you have. If your running a lighter action rod you are most likely running lighter line. When you are doing so there is less backbone in your hook set so a thinner more wirey hook with penetrate deeper than a thicker hook like an owner, gami or mustad ultra point. Those hooks I just mentioned I only run on medium action rods and up.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 pm

I run up to a 2/0 hook on 8lb with my 1-4lb rod. Gami and owners are pretty much the only hooks I ever use as well.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Ok maybe it was just me because every time I use a light or medium bait casters tend lose more fish from the hooking slipping but when I use a medium I land most of my fish but when I use a medium heavy It doesn't have enough give or something. Idk personally I haven't noticed hooks making a difference as I just use beau Mac hooks but I do prefer the black ones. I was checking out the spinning x-11 light rod and that seemed to have a good back bone

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Got to remember too your hook set should change with the type of gear your using. The heavier the pole the less of a hook set you need, mono stretches so you need more hook set then if you are fishing braid.
I wouldn't worry about it to much. Use what works best for you and regardless of the pole slam that hook home and it really shouldn't matter.