steelhead or coho rod

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
goonatic
Commander

steelhead or coho rod

Post by goonatic » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:30 pm

whats the difference between a steelhead rod and a rod that you'd use for coho? theyre basically in the same size range right?

Gringo Pescador

Re: steelhead or coho rod

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:33 am

I use the same rods - for me it's more about matching the rod with the type of fishing you are doing.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:39 am

I use the same rod for both most of the time, 8'6" Med Spin rod, If I am fishing under a float. Sometimes when fighting a large silver it does feel a little under powered. If I am twitching jigs or throwing hardware I step up to a Med Heavy rod and will usually pick up a casting reel. If you are fishing in a crowded area, or you are intending on realeasing fish pick up a heavy rod so you can get that fish to the bank in a timely matter.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:26 am

i use the same rod for both. if anything, maybe a slightly more sensitive rod for the steelheads.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 am

One and the same for me. Many recommend rods with heavier backbone for salmon over Steelhead, but I went with a middle of the road medium action rod and it works well for both.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:28 am

I just picked up a Fenwick HMX 9'6" medium heavy spinning rod. Loving it! Just gotta get used to what the hits feel like and then you're nailing them.

Was gonna go with the Clarus as my first choice, but Sportco was sold out of the spinning version...so I went with the Fenwick as my second choice. I'm actually really happy with it so far.

FinChaserNW
Petty Officer

Post by FinChaserNW » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:18 pm

I use most of my Steelhead rods for coho as well, which are mostly moderate action (for spinners, spoons, floats, etc.). The only exception is that I like a shorter and slightly stiffer rod for twitching jigs for coho. I like to have some more backbone for pulling coho out of the timber and other snaggy areas.

Scott

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

thanks guys, great info, especially with the advice on a little more backbone for coho