Introductions Please...

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Introductions Please...

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 am

Since I cannot seem to find an Introduce Yourself type forum here (chances are, operator error! I may just be slightly computer-illiterate!) I figured I'd start out like this... please let me know if I am in the wrong spot ;)

Lady in the way... but certainly not intentionally!! Hi all, my name is Chelle and this is my first season fishing Salmon, needless to say, I am 'hooked' for sure! I have been fishing most frequently the Puyallup back behind Fredy's as well as once or twice under the 5th street bridge... Though I have tried very hard to pay attention and learn as much as possible from the gentlemen out there, I must say that reading what y'all have posted here and on one other site I frequent (http://puyallupriverforum.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I have learned so so so much and am very thankful for all of the wonderful information and tips/suggestions! I have hooked into a few fish in the past few weeks, one behind Fredy's just about drug me in but he slipped my hook after about 10 minutes and I was so frustrated but it was a blast! The few men I have had the pleasure of fishing next to have been very friendly and helpful, which I appreciate greatly (I have tried to make sure that I tell people I am very new and if I mess up, feel free to let me know what I have done/am doing and how to fix it so I am not a repeat offender) sadly though, the last trip I made out there I was very bluntly told "F'ing women don't belong in the G.D. river!!... I hadn't done anything, nor had I been next to the man (3 people up from me) but apparently it is a gender oriented sport?! It's okay, really irritates people when all you do is smile and laugh ;) I'll forewarn y'all, I am very inquisitive and chatty, I ask a lot of questions and try my hardest to stay out of the way while I am observing so if you end up next to me at some point, I have a pretty thick skin and won't be hurt if you feel free to throw out a 'shut up Chelle' and I'll be happy to oblige (as long as you aren't mean about it) Just don't be surprised if I ask for help IF I do end up hooking into a fish and bring it in, I am allergic to fish (haha yea, laugh it up guys!) and their oils in their blood makes me break out in hives from head to toe so I'm having to get creative in pulling the hooks! Most of the time I have my husband or neighbor with me, they won't let me fish the river alone, so I should have that help covered but it is what it is and no one can say I haven't warned them ahead of time! I look forward to meeting some of you and getting a bit more confident in the swing of things, as I have already felt the drive and the longing to be casting my pole from the time I wake to the time I fall asleep.. I'm loving this stuff!! Be safe, have fun, and good luck gentlemen! ~Chelle
~*~ Fail to plan, Plan to fail ~*~ Fishing is an addiction... yet a healthy Zen for the heart, mind, and soul ~*~

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Re: Introductions Please...

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 am

Welcome to the site!
I like watching women fish, it can be entertaining sometimes. A few of the ladies at the skok I fish with were beginners a few years ago were rookies and now hook up and land quite a bit. Youll get the hang of it. :cheers:

..allergic to fish? I don't know what id do. :-s
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 am

I LOVE it, always have loved to fish but more for Bass, Catfish, Trout, etc... lake fishing... I never payed much attention to river fishing but I'm glad that this year I have... What a freaking RUSH!! As far as being allergic to fish, I get all sorts of funny looks from people when I tell them that, very entertaining lol I cannot handle/eat freshwater OR saltwater anything and my luck, my favorite past-time just happens to be catching them suckers :D I don't see many women fish when I am out, I think in the past month I have seen 3 total... 2 on the puyallup and 1 on the nisqually yesterday. I've heard good things about the Skok but I'm a bit hesitant to travel that distance with no idea really what I am doing... one to save for a more experienced time for sure though! I'm debating checking out the Green in the near future as well :) Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!
~*~ Fail to plan, Plan to fail ~*~ Fishing is an addiction... yet a healthy Zen for the heart, mind, and soul ~*~

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 am

If you want to you can post a copy of your post onto this Introduce Yourself thread:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... ?f=4&t=455
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:57 am

Wonderful, thank you!

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:18 am

Welcome to the sport. We see more women on the water every year and there are several on this site on a regular basis. Don't let a few bad apples soil it for you on the river. You might remind them that they weren't always as good as they think they are now. As for the allergy I have a friend that has the same problem. He wears snug fitting rubber gloves that go up to his elbows. Never seems to have a problem. Good luck on the river and you will always be welcome next to us.

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am

Thank you Sir! I don't let them bother me, grew up in a male dominate family and guys crack me up ;) just let it roll off my shoulders and laugh it off! Keep your eyes open for me, I'll be out often and would love a hello some time!

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 am

Youre always welcome to fish with me on the puyallup! I usually fish up by sumner. The only bad apples ive met have been horrible at fishing, or at least i out fish em. I will be fishing the puyallup for the next few days since i have them off work.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:05 am

Hello. We are not alone. More and more females on the water fishing. Even in the guiding buz. blurock.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 am

YEAY!!! Excited to see some ladies! Thanks girls <3

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Welcome! Would rubber lined gloves work?

Now don't quote me on this...but I'm not sure you're allowed to let other people handle your fish and take it off the hook unless you have a designated harvester card for the person helping you (and I think they are hard to get). I could be wrong on my interpretation of the regs. Page 12 of the state pamphlet under harvest and possession rules... "You may not: Harvest any part of another persons daily limit except for persons who possess a designated harvester card unless otherwise specified"

Not sure if a Game Warden would actually crack down on you, but you never know what kind of a mood they will be in that day.

And I'm not trying to be a hard ass either...just don't want to see anyone get a ticket (or worse) because they didn't know the rules.

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Great info actually! I've never seen nor been told that so I definitely want to look into it!! I typically take some sort of non drowsy Benadryl with me when I am out just in case, so I am not too worried about handling the fish myself if need be, it's not like there is a shortage of water around me to wash off in as soon as I am done! ;) thanks for the heads up!!

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

if you catch the fish and have someone else remove the hook you will be fine. If you keep it be sure to punch your own card. Absolutely nothing saying that someone else can not remove the hook as long as you are the one doing the hooking and fighting. If it was illegal to do this then their would be a lot of dads and or husbands in trouble. I know my wife flat refuses to touch a slimy fish.

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:45 pm

After reading and researching what I have been able to find online, that is pretty much the same conclusion I have come to! I guess I should stop joking with my husband though that if I hook a 'big one' I'm going to hand him my pole and let him bring it in lol looks like that would have to count against HIS daily limit and not mine, which is a bummer!

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Who ever brings in the fish has to tag it. Anyone can help you land the fish, remove the hook and anything else that needs to be done. As chrome chasin said there would be a whole lot of us in trouble if we couldn't help. By the way don't give up a fish just because it is big. If you loose it, it was a part of the learning process. If you loose it you will remember it as the big one that got away. If you get it, it will be your trophy until you get a bigger one. My kids are grown and grandkids are starting to fish now and they all remember the ones that got away as well as the ones they caught. Catching or loosing a fish is not what is important it's the enjoyment of being in the outdoors with people that enjoy the same thing.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Welcome to the addiction Chelle! Don't let the jack*sses get to you, though there's plenty of them around the rivers, i'd say most of the guys (and the few women) i've had the pleasure of fishing around are good people.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Y'all are great, thank you!! On my way to the Puyallup now for some afternoon/evening fishing <3 thinking I'll go check out the 'soccer fields' location I keep reading about. Come find me if any of y'all get down there today!

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Chelle,
From the way you've handled yourself here, that guy was definitely the loser in your exchange. I play craps and in that male-dominated game, there are also a few who think women shouldn't participate. Thankfully they are the small minority there as well. Welcome to salmon fishing and this forum! Best of luck to you.
Dave

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Thank you Sir!

kiara2425
Angler

Post by kiara2425 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Good to see another chick here too! :)

This is my first year as well, but I have had no luck at all. :(

I think I am still cursed to not catch fish in Washington State though.. I still have yet to really catch a fish here that wasn't a 2 inch bluegill.

I've been trying the Green now that it's open and I have finally felt a little bit of a fight with one before it got off, and it was a rush! :) I can't wait to really catch one!