Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
lost360
Petty Officer

Re: Skok

Post by lost360 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:55 pm

How do guys stand on cliff and rip fish call then self great fishermen ? Sorry jest wondering any tips or pointers? Maby ill bring a boom truck ! Oh I know ill climb tree and slay them that way ! But great Job on bringing them in backwards!

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:20 pm

lost360 wrote:How do guys stand on cliff and rip fish call then self great fishermen ? Sorry jest wondering any tips or pointers? Maby ill bring a boom truck ! Oh I know ill climb tree and slay them that way ! But great Job on bringing them in backwards!
LMFAO

Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Post by Jhuynh2 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:33 pm

how about unethical? natives netting in the mouth of the river when they are not allowed and being busted for it LOL!!! let's keep on reporting those illegal activities so they don't blame everything on us

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:11 pm

lost360 wrote:How do guys stand on cliff and rip fish call then self great fishermen ? Sorry jest wondering any tips or pointers? Maby ill bring a boom truck ! Oh I know ill climb tree and slay them that way ! But great Job on bringing them in backwards!
I didn't see anyone on here call themselves great fisherman?

Why do trolls like you insist on bagging on the skok? I didn't see one fish snagged and retained this year. And I was out there 21 out of the 22 days of this season. There are many other rivers, that people keep snagged fish on. You just don't hear about them you hear about it on the skok because;
1) Its a very popular river.
2) Everybody drift fishes there, other than in the mornings people will throw eggs until others start throwing lead.

If you don't like the way people fish the river, then don't fish it. People like you erk me, but it wont change mine or anyone elses preference on how and where to fish the skok. I flossed, and killed 37 fish for my family out of the skok this year, and around 25 for others. And I can guarantee you, come September 15th, ill do it again.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

lost360
Petty Officer

Post by lost360 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Looks like I hit a soft spot there guy take a breath I meant no harm I only want to learn how to floss I get my fish to bite. But if I learn to floss I can pick them off like picking best one not jest the one to bite .

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't know much about flossing either. Seen guys do it but from watching them do it, it seems like they had to let go about 25 fish that were hooked in the belly or tail before they finally hooked one in the face. I also noticed it has 4 parts. Cast, drift, rip, and reel in. Then repeat.

lost360
Petty Officer

Post by lost360 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:52 pm

By the time fish get up they look like Swiss cheese oh great farm fishermen next year I'm using pontoon boat and fish the flats before the farm ****ers poison my fish with there rusty hooks also coming next year videos of the lowlife fishermen at the farm clif

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Looks like this is turning into the cry about the way people fish the Sko thread.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:32 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:
I didn't see anyone on here call themselves great fisherman?

Why do trolls like you insist on bagging on the skok? I didn't see one fish snagged and retained this year. And I was out there 21 out of the 22 days of this season. There are many other rivers, that people keep snagged fish on. You just don't hear about them you hear about it on the skok because;
1) Its a very popular river.
2) Everybody drift fishes there, other than in the mornings people will throw eggs until others start throwing lead.

If you don't like the way people fish the river, then don't fish it. People like you erk me, but it wont change mine or anyone elses preference on how and where to fish the skok. I flossed, and killed 37 fish for my family out of the skok this year, and around 25 for others. And I can guarantee you, come September 15th, ill do it again.
What's going in down there is not drift fishing. Throw on a 36" leader then your drift fishing. Much more deadlier tactic for steel.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:33 pm

fishindude wrote:I don't know much about flossing either. Seen guys do it but from watching them do it, it seems like they had to let go about 25 fish that were hooked in the belly or tail before they finally hooked one in the face. I also noticed it has 4 parts. Cast, drift, rip, and reel in. Then repeat.
go to the Puyallup right now, use a 8-10ft leader and just drift it with a bead you will learn flossing real quick, it feels just like a bite but the hook is on the outside of the lips and in the corner

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:
fishindude wrote:I don't know much about flossing either. Seen guys do it but from watching them do it, it seems like they had to let go about 25 fish that were hooked in the belly or tail before they finally hooked one in the face. I also noticed it has 4 parts. Cast, drift, rip, and reel in. Then repeat.
go to the Puyallup right now, use a 8-10ft leader and just drift it with a bead you will learn flossing real quick, it feels just like a bite but the hook is on the outside of the lips and in the corner
Exactly what Brat said. You fish the Puyallup right now with that amount of leader and you will hook fish in the mouth all day. You want to wait for a heavy tug on your line. That is real flossing. What Fish Bait does is also real flossing. I've fished with him before and have never seen him keep a snagged fish. 90 % of fish he hooks are in the mouth. Flossing is a deadly and legal method of fishing if you know how to do it the right way.

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:07 pm

king killer wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:
Exactly what Brat said. You fish the Puyallup right now with that amount of leader and you will hook fish in the mouth all day. You want to wait for a heavy tug on your line. That is real flossing. What Fish Bait does is also real flossing. I've fished with him before and have never seen him keep a snagged fish. 90 % of fish he hooks are in the mouth. Flossing is a deadly and legal method of fishing if you know how to do it the right way.

I don't think I'll make it to the Puke. Going Camping this weekend and I will try the bead thing there. Brat said it works there too. Maybe see you there.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:38 am

Fishindude, everything they said is what flossing is. But like King Killer said, 90% of my fish are in the mouth, or really close. Even when I cant see them. I don't rip at the end of my drift, sometimes I do but that's when im in a hurry. At the end of your pull up slowly, (not to slow), and this is much, much more effective then ripping it as hard as you can.
Also- an 8-10ft leader yes a lot of people us it. The longest leader I have ever used is 8ft, and that's when im drifting in a spot that is a quick drop off, or on the other side of a tree (a spot on the skok). My usual leader is about 5 and a half feet. Ive caughten fish on shorter, and on longer. In the morning when I start fishing, my first few casts I don't even rip. Ill cast out, see if my line or lead bumps anything, ill do this until I locate fish, if I don't feel anything, ill cast out again, hold my rod tip up high, and see if there suspended or not. That's some tricks to flossing.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

lost360
Petty Officer

Post by lost360 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:52 am

Great tutorial on how its done fish bait no need to rip it but I get my hook in guts with eggs thoe so they definitely do bite there

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 am

fishindude wrote: I don't think I'll make it to the Puke. Going Camping this weekend and I will try the bead thing there. Brat said it works there too. Maybe see you there.
the quil is going to be packed so better get there nice and early because I bet the parking lot will be filled by 8am if not earlier

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 am

king killer wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:

awesome post. like flossing is legit and something to be proud of.......pathetic. the right way. lol. my father would have kicked my ass if he caught me fishing that way. but then again he was an ethical angler which is a rare thing in this group.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 am

Well John not everybody can be like you! Dang nabbit. Im sorry we don't fish to please you.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 am

lost360 wrote:Great tutorial on how its done fish bait no need to rip it but I get my hook in guts with eggs thoe so they definitely do bite there

Oh I know they bite with eggs, and 99% of the time kings don't bite on corky/yarn. Ive watched kings, swim and go out of there way to pick up my yarn. I watched it a couple times this year, not often but it happens. I was so shocked I only hooked one of those fish. I grew up in Arizona fishing for bass and catfish, when I came up here drift fishing was the first way of salmon fishing I learned. Ive been doing it ever since. In the last 2 years ive opened up my fishing techniques, I caught a king this year on a jig at hoodsport. Ive caughten salmon on spoons, jigs, spinners, beads, eggs, shrimp, herring, corky, yarn. Just this year I started fishing eggs, I like it, it has its place and time. At the skok early in the morning, and during high tide is the time to use eggs unless you have an entire stretch of river to yourself which doesn't happen a lot. Each technique has its time and place.

If I had 50 fish in front of me, I was throwing eggs, and none of these fish would take my eggs, am I gonna pack up an go home? Heck no. Im gonna clean there teeth.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am

Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse, or beating a dead dog in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means a particular request or line of conversation is already foreclosed or otherwise resolved, and any attempt to continue it is futile; or that to continue in any endeavor (physical, mental, etc.) is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided.

Don't take the bait, FB.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 am

natetreat wrote:Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse, or beating a dead dog in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means a particular request or line of conversation is already foreclosed or otherwise resolved, and any attempt to continue it is futile; or that to continue in any endeavor (physical, mental, etc.) is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided.
=D> + 1000 Nate

It's really not worth the debate, especially on a public forum such as this. Don't think the dept. doesn't see these threads and use them against us in the season setting process. Whether we agree or disagree we as the fishing public need to show a united front if we ever want fair representation at the NOF table. If not then we'll continue to fight over the scraps the tribes & commies leave us ](*,)
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.