Fish with bumps and open sores?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Parlance
Angler

Fish with bumps and open sores?

Post by Parlance » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:38 pm

I was goofing around on the raft this Sunday at cottage lake. Pulled up a stocker rainbow that had weird bumps and open sores all over it. I ended it tossing it but was curious if anyone else has caught a trout with this or if anyone knew what it was.

Thoughts?

FinChaserNW
Petty Officer

Re: Fish with bumps and open sores?

Post by FinChaserNW » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:04 pm

What I've been told before is that it is some kind of parasite that tends to become more of an issue as waters warm in summer. I suppose I could find more info by Googling it, but I never have. I caught several trout like this years ago on Fish Lake over by Leavenworth. I tossed them all back. Gross.

Scott.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:32 am

Sounds like the fish has been hangin with the local meth-heads.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:22 am

yeah, as the water warms the parasites get more active and those stocker trout aren't all that robust to begin with. Throw em back - if they survive they'll be bigger and healthier next spring.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker