refloating tired braid

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

refloating tired braid

Post by SkyRiverMan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Some may have a moral objection to this, but I must confess I am not mono-ogamous - I have been having an affair with braided line for the last few 5-6 years and in my heart do truly love both….

Without getting into a debate merits of one brand over another I am curious if anyone has any tips for reviving the float of tired braid – the current braid I am using used to literally dance on the surface but now seems to submerge itself just below the surface layer and cling tight. I used to be able to lift my line, now I have to literally rip it from the surface.

Anyone got any tips on re-floating tired braid? This line is beginning to try my patience - do I need to just kick this spool to the curb and take up with a younger model? I don’t want to just give up, and will try anything to restore the love…..

Please advise
SRM

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: refloating tired braid

Post by Amx » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Fly line dressing? Or just buy new stuff.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Or you could buy new stuff for the floating and shallow lures, then use the old stuff for deep lures like jigs.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Some of the new super line...... braid of one type or another. Some of the new coated braids are pretty good. At under $20 to spool a reel, I'd just replace the old stuff. I love braided line!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Try floating fly line wax. It works well for me.

FinChaserNW
Petty Officer

Post by FinChaserNW » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 pm

If it's for a float line, I would just re-spool with some new stuff. Or like others have said, hit it with fly line floatant. Won't last too long, but it works. If you are using this line for throwing spinners, spoons, or twitching jigs, I prefer a braid that has a few seasons on it. A three year old spool of soft power pro is my preferred line for tossing gear. Especially this time of year when throwing to Coho in the timber.

Best regards, Scott