Oneshot helped saving mans life.

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Oneshot helped saving mans life.

Post by Amx » Tue May 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks again for doing what you did. Image

I'd have said "Just doing what anybody would do". Well, looks like NOT everyone would do what is right. That man is sure glad that YOU did. [thumbup]
Tom.

Interests: living

ripsomelip
Petty Officer

Post by ripsomelip » Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Its so awesome to have someone step above themselves and come to our rescue in times of dire need. This an example of that quality. Thank you for your self-less action and paying attention to your sorroundings.
hit it or quit it.

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 pm

oneshot wrote:BigD, thanks for posting this here.. I migrate between sites day to day, this site is still my favorite though..
I'm happy that you're OK with my posting of your video here. I thought I might be oversteping by posting your video here without asking you first but I justified that issue in my mind by remembering that heros never seek accolades and always make the statement "I was just doing what anyone should have done"
Thanks again,

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Dude, nice job! It's amazing sometimes how little some people seem to care. [thumbdn]

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed May 22, 2013 5:50 am

Great job stepping up and helping out!

On April 23 of this year. I ha da similar thing happen. Mark K and I were fishing out of the Nine Mile resort at Long Lake. On our way back to the launch, I saw something red in the water off in the distance. curiousity got the best of me and I asked Mark, what do you think that is? He said something red and a couple of bouys. We turned and headed thatdirection and one of the bouys started waving at us. Water temps that day were in the mid 40's. We got to them and it was a couple of teenagers with a turned over canoe. By the time we got to them they said they had been in the water for about 15 minutes. They were both wearing life jackets thank god. They were very pale, had blue lips and were not moving very well. They were clinging to the overturned canoe trying to get it back to shore. They still had about 300 yards to go but the current in the area had them moving down stream faster tha they were moving toward shore. We pulled them in my boat and towed the canoe to shore. Their friends were wandering around at the resort with no clue what had happened. There were 3 or 4 fishermen on the dock fishing and they had no idea either. The boys had a wistle and were blowing it but apparently no one on the shore could hear it. The resort camp host told us that he had encouraged the boys not to rent that canoe but they insisted. He repeatedly told them to stay close to shore, which they didn't. I don't knnow how they tipped that canoe over but in the condition they were in, I don't think they had much more timeto get fished out. They did walk faairly well once we got them to shore. Maybe they weren't in the water as long as they thought. In this case, I think the camp host should have used his own better judgment and not rented them the canoe.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed May 22, 2013 6:23 am

Very Noble of you One Shot, way to represent!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed May 22, 2013 7:07 am

A sobering reminder of what can go wrong even under the right conditions. As evidenced here, all it takes is one or two small things to go wrong and have it escalate into disaster or tragedy. While watching the video I couldn't help but think, "Let go of the damn kayak, today is not a good day to die."

Oneshot - You have the honorable distinction of saving a human life, something one would hope all of us would do, but as you found out with the other boat on the water, that's not the case. I'm sure that gentleman's wife, kids, grandkids are all thankful for your selfless concern for another's safety and well being. Kudos to you.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 am

I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed May 22, 2013 9:40 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:=D> =D> =D>
Made the Seattle Times
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/201 ... st-friday/
oh man, thanks! i had no idea..
i have a shorter version i'm trying to contact the times to swap it out.. i have been contacted by a few people now :)

while we're on the rescue topic.. haha
I pulled my buddy out of an avalanche on April 30th, just a few weeks ago.. scoring some points lately..

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 am

shorter version :) 2 minutes and out..

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed May 22, 2013 12:05 pm

OK, funniest thing..
i just did a story with Komo4 news at the lake.. had my fishing pole in the jeep so i decided to fish while i waited for the news anchor lady.. Lindsay Cohen.. they got there and came out to the dock and during the interview i caught 2 trout.. hahaha..
such awesome timing!

thanks again for all the kind words everyone.. i feel honored to be recognized for this..

p.s. Komo 4 news at 5pm..
heading back to the lake at 2:30 to do a story with Kiro7 :pirat:

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 pm

That makes me very upset that the other boaters and fisherman were to busy fishing to help.
Like its been said a couple times THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOT TO HELP FELLOW FISHERMAN/WOMEN OUT!!
Even if it looks like everything is under control extra help never hurts, dont be afraid to help. We all owe it to each other.
But anyways I have got to say Thanks so much to Oneshot. Theres not enough people out there like you. I could only hope someone will come to the rescue if i ever need it, and i can only hope i can help someone if need be.
I hope the rest of the year is really good to you Oneshot, you earned it!! :cheers:

And you pulled someone out of an avalanche!! Way to go man, :cheers: :cheers:

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed May 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Just saw your story on KOMO. Excellent work John. I wonder if the fire department is going to recognize you as a hero.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Good job dude.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Just saw the KOMO story.....you're a regular local hero now! [thumbsup]

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Quic ... 86501.html

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Wed May 22, 2013 9:05 pm

=D> Good job oneshot!! :salut:

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Here's the news article from Komo:
Eventually, fire crews arrived and took the man out of the lake. The man was later able to thank Pulling for the rescue.

"He shook my hand very sincerely and didn't really want to let go, and just thanked me for helping him out," Pulling said.
Looks like Oneshot got his thanks. It's nice to know there's some good people out there.

Back to lurking

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed May 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Good thing you were there to save him. That really sucks that no one was willing to help.

I just saw the previews for the news and you were on it.

riverbound
Petty Officer

Post by riverbound » Thu May 23, 2013 4:34 pm

I thought that was Oneshot on the news! Way to go man. Hope to fish with you this summer.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:23 pm

this would be a good video to send to the wdfw, and someone like boatus.org (who does the boaters license). Despite being poorly fitting, the man would probably be dead if not for the life jacket (and obviously oneshots bravery and perseverance!)

your video was great, the whole situation really stirred up some emotions in me. makes me feel that much better about the extra life jackets, pfds, and signals in the boat, and always having the vhf on 16.

you did good, buddy. I hope your video saves more lives. it really has impacted a lot of people already I think.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/portals/1/Documen ... 0Drown.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boating. Washington State has one of the highest
numbers of registered boats in the nation. Boating
carries risks for injury. The 2010 U.S. Coast Guard
national report show that in the United States:
• There were 4,967 boating incidents.
• There were 3,474 boating injuries.
• The fatality rate was 5.4 deaths per 100,000
registered recreational vessels.
• Almost three-fourths of all fatal boating deaths
were due to drowning; of those, 88 percent were
not wearing a life jacket.
It is estimated that 85 percent of Washington State’s
boating-related drowning deaths could have been
prevented if the person had been wearing a life jacket.
In 2011, alcohol was involved in about 20 percent of
all reported boating fatalities.11 In Washington in 2011,
there were 15 boating-related deaths and 54 injuries
reported to U.S. Coast Guard.