the wind this spring in Eastern Washington

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tluedeke
Petty Officer

the wind this spring in Eastern Washington

Post by tluedeke » Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

I usually find the incessant spring winds irritating in Eastern Washington, but this year it is driving me completely insane. This is now the fifth (I think) weekend in a row I've been unable to fish because of high winds (20 mph or more) on both weekend days. Almost every one of these weeks has multiple days *during* the week in which is it utterly calm. Come Friday, out come the weather forecasts of "breezy"...

[cursing]

mitchard
Petty Officer

Re: the wind this spring in Eastern Washington

Post by mitchard » Sat May 04, 2013 9:38 pm

The wind over at Jameson on opening weekend was crazy. Pretty standard though, I guess.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 05, 2013 6:25 am

Standard fair. The wind always blows....... and usually very hard in the afternoon.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun May 05, 2013 7:21 am

I grew up in the TriCities....the wind over there is something I do NOT miss. I always tell my wife, if it were not for the wind, I'd probably want to move back to the east side, but, boy does that non-stop heavy wind tire me out. Of course it's the incessant rain over here, so what are you gonna do? Maybe it's time to go fly a kite!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun May 05, 2013 7:55 am

Was nice at Roosevelt yesterday, only wind I had to deal with was on the drive home. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:13 pm

hewesfisher wrote:Was nice at Roosevelt yesterday, only wind I had to deal with was on the drive home. [cool]
Was very nice on Chelan the last two days also today was like glass..
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Columbia Basin is always windy in the spring, just as us westside boys typically battle the damp early season drizzlies.

Better get used to it , because it's part of the deal.

Me personally, I'll take rain showers and fog on an otherwise glass calm lake , as neither one of those conditions make me divert much attention to boat handling, as opposed to fishing.

Wind just plain sucks, from a strictly fishing POV.

Trying to keep a boat in position, and make a good presentation , becomes pretty tough when 40mph gusts are coming in. Plus, forget about sight fishing, as the water kicks up.
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 am

we go to eastern wa the weekend after opening day every year. its been years since its been calm. deep lake at sun lakes is pretty good when the wind is really bad you can usually troll through the cannon with relitive east (no white caps) other then that i go to the potholes or other little lakes and fish from the shore under ledges to get a break from the wind.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

BassSlayer1981
Petty Officer

Post by BassSlayer1981 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am

My folks own a place on blue in the coulee. The wind is always a factor. Sometimes it will be dead calm and you will hear a loud rumble through the cliffs of the coulee and all of a sudden it will hit like a 12 gauge. Weirdest thing. I been spending summers there since i was little so I don't mind it.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Even Ellensburg gets that heavy wind. I've fished those ponds along The Canyon Road and I-82 and sometimes the wind blows so hard you cant tell if you're getting a bite. Spring and early summer tend to be windy. Down by Vantage is another windy area.

BassSlayer1981
Petty Officer

Post by BassSlayer1981 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 pm

@racfish I know what you mean by Vantage being windy. Man you gotta really hold onto your steering wheel when crossing the bridge!

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Stayed at Blue Lake in Grant Co for the opener, wind blew most of the time. Really howled on Monday, seemed like gusts up to 50mph. Could not even get the boat off the beach, thought motor home would tip over. When we did make it out, fishing was good and fish had nice red meat.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

I think Banks is one of the worst. You'll be down south towards the drain and it'll be dead calm in the morning, and then you hear the whistling start and by that time its almost always too late as the winds come in from the north there most of the time and you are pounding chop all the way back to the PunchBowl.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800