Opening Day-Where are you headed?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Opening Day-Where are you headed?

Post by Cozmo4196 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 pm

I know catching planter trout isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but I for one am excited to take a few friends out this weekend and get them on some fish for the opener. More than likely we'll be practicing C&R since the taste of stocker trout isn't really my thing, but it'll be fun none the less to enjoy the time with some good people in decent weather(from what I've heard).

My boat is stored in Snohomish for the time being, so I'll probably target some lakes in that area. Where are the rest of you headed?

rpm10
Petty Officer

Re: Opening Day-Where are you headed?

Post by rpm10 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:58 pm

With everyone and their brother trout fishing it will be a great weeked to fish for blackmouth!

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 pm

I'll be staying close to home, Blackman's Lake...still need to buy my liscense though. 8-[

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 pm

rpm10 wrote:With everyone and their brother trout fishing it will be a great weeked to fish for blackmouth!
That does sound like a good idea :-k
I think i will be up on lake riley though, unless the weather sucks

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:39 am

I live in Snohomish as well but every lake around here is gonna be a zoo, so ill probably go hide at lake Cavanaugh

Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Post by Cozmo4196 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 am

Steelheadin360 wrote:I live in Snohomish as well but every lake around here is gonna be a zoo, so ill probably go hide at lake Cavanaugh
I'm "assuming" the lakes that were stocked a month ago and have been open year-round, won't get as much pressure as the lakes that are just opening. I'll be out on either Flowing or Panther. Hoping the weather this week warms up the water enough to activate the bass bite in either of those lakes so that we can have a combo species trip.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 am

gotta work. [angry]

But then immediately heading off for two new adventures, Top Secret, LOL. :-$

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 am

Cozmo4196 wrote:
Steelheadin360 wrote:I live in Snohomish as well but every lake around here is gonna be a zoo, so ill probably go hide at lake Cavanaugh
I'm "assuming" the lakes that were stocked a month ago and have been open year-round, won't get as much pressure as the lakes that are just opening. I'll be out on either Flowing or Panther. Hoping the weather this week warms up the water enough to activate the bass bite in either of those lakes so that we can have a combo species trip.
I did great at Flowing two weeks ago, I caught five fish that were 16" or bigger and some standard stockers as well. I think I will be in Anacortes doing some chores for my elderly parents. I used to fish up there on the lowland opener, Heart lake and Lake Erie. It is a real zoo up there on the opener. A few years ago I was fishing from shore and a boat came and anchored right in front of me. I asked him "your kidding, right" the guy didnt get it.
I migh sneak over to Erie in the afternoon with my float tube after the mobs have died down.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

One place I want to try this year is Sixteen. I hear that it's good early in the season.

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:26 pm

[sad] Working opening day.

Probably going to go out to the Kistap peninsula, dig for some clams in the low tide and then hit up one of the lakes out there.

Going to try Ohop off the bank on Monday with the boy. Lots of planters got dumped in so it should be easy to get him a limit.

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 am

I'm gonna dodge the crazy crowds and hit up a buddy's private beaver ponds for some native Cutthroat. Two people and a few hundred hungry fish.... that's good math . I have a nice new fly outfit to test out.

Those "opening day" crowds can be pretty special. I have a friend with a house that overlooks one of the main boat launches on Bellingham Bay . One of our favorite traditions is to sit out on his deck during the opening day of boating season, have a few cold ones, and watch all the idiots try to launch and load their boats . It can be very entertaining, and there are some good shouting matches . Seen a few escalate to fist-fights. I'm sure there will be some similar scenes at boat launches all across our great state, next Sunday.

Gotta love those folks that sit in a launch line for an hour , doing nothing but griping about how slow the guys ahead of them are, but decide it's time to start loading gear and prepping the boat AFTER they get the rig down onto the launch ramp. That's about the time the kids need to go find the porta-potti too, and mom needs to make a last minute run up to the corner store. On the pull out side, you have the guy who pulls his boat 10' out of the water on the ramp, then proceeds to meander about , fiddling with straps , B.S.ing with friends, wiping down the boat, working on the motor , and generally shutting down the whole ramp while he screws around with stuff that could easily be done up in the parking lot.

Ahhh, yes....."Opening Day", LOL !!
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:00 am

opening day??? gonna be spent working in the shop... trying to get my nova back up in running shape....

mitchard
Petty Officer

Post by mitchard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:58 am

Heading over to Jameson. Chances are the buzz we catch will be bigger than the fish though.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 am

Heart lake in anacourtas. Leaving Friday night
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

HoeDog80
Angler

Post by HoeDog80 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:21 am

Probably gonna hit Failor Lake in Grays Harbor County. Gonna take my mom and two of my girlfriends daughters. A 6 year old and a 4 year old. Hopefully it'll be fun. [thumbsup]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Bustinbeats wrote:I'm gonna dodge the crazy crowds and hit up a buddy's private beaver ponds for some native Cutthroat. Two people and a few hundred hungry fish.... that's good math . I have a nice new fly outfit to test out.

Those "opening day" crowds can be pretty special. I have a friend with a house that overlooks one of the main boat launches on Bellingham Bay . One of our favorite traditions is to sit out on his deck during the opening day of boating season, have a few cold ones, and watch all the idiots try to launch and load their boats . It can be very entertaining, and there are some good shouting matches . Seen a few escalate to fist-fights. I'm sure there will be some similar scenes at boat launches all across our great state, next Sunday.

Gotta love those folks that sit in a launch line for an hour , doing nothing but griping about how slow the guys ahead of them are, but decide it's time to start loading gear and prepping the boat AFTER they get the rig down onto the launch ramp. That's about the time the kids need to go find the porta-potti too, and mom needs to make a last minute run up to the corner store. On the pull out side, you have the guy who pulls his boat 10' out of the water on the ramp, then proceeds to meander about , fiddling with straps , B.S.ing with friends, wiping down the boat, working on the motor , and generally shutting down the whole ramp while he screws around with stuff that could easily be done up in the parking lot.

Ahhh, yes....."Opening Day", LOL !!
That's just one of the reasons I don't go on opening day. And I sure want to go, but I can take the car for a drive instead, been awhile. :-k

Nope, looks like it might rain, that car doesn't get driven in the rain.
Tom.

Interests: living

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:33 pm

I'll be smelling tulips at tulips festival unless the weather changes and cancel trip(crossing fingers hehehe).