Spring Crappie weather!!

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Spring Crappie weather!!

Post by crappiemaster » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Going crappie fishing tomorrow and I cannot wait. I will be fishing some backwater sloughs and some inlets on the Columbia. Will be looking for some weed beds. Water is still a little cold, but I did see some panfish under a fallen tree the other day and right at dusk saw a lot of perch and bluegill moving around the weeds. Crappie should be showing up soon!! Hopefully, tomorrow is the day.

fishinChristian
Commander

Re: Spring Crappie weather!!

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:05 pm

So, what happened?

I've caught about 5 dozen so far, but nothing of any real size. They are waking up though!

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm

I ended up catching one. The perch were really active and caught two really nice smallmouth. By 5 oclock, the wind was howling as it usually does on the Columbia. They weren't really active though. I have caught some nice ones this week right about dusk. They are starting to get close!!

Mcleanbay
Angler

Post by Mcleanbay » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Any luck in fishing in the northern Hayden Lake bays? Is the water level still rising?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Can I ask you guys,at what temp. do crappie become active and "fishable?"
I have a lake here on the Westside that would be a little cooler than your Yakima lakes. I have never fished crappie, but they are in this lake. Just curious. Any tips/tricks for early season black crappie?

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:02 am

Finally figured out how to download pics from my phone. Caught these Saturday. QF, water temp is 57 F and they seem to be really active and aggresive. Trick seems to be jerking the bait violently. I am using 1/32 jig head and purple and white seems to be the favorite right now. I am dying to try the mustard crappie recipe that Willie Robertson recommends. I love mustard and I love crappie so it must be good!!
Attachments
195.jpg
195.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 3683 times

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:06 am

Here is Friday's bounty
Attachments
188.jpg
188.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 3681 times

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:36 am

I wish there was a decent crappie lake on the west side, I'm so jealous!

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:32 am

Mordalphus: Silver Lake in Cowlitz Co is a wonderful crappie fishery, as well as bluegill. There are also several small lakes around Renton that have them, mostly private. If you want a good general source check this out: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/county.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Just click the county(s) and species you want.
Quad: We catch them all year, even through the ice, but now till the end of May is the best season. Just caught 100+ yesterday again. Once you locate a school or pattern, you're set for numbers. If you find small ones, try similar structure or depth, or just a touch (Like3-6") deeper. Once you hit perch on a regular basis though, go shallower.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Haha, it would actually be quicker for me to hit up the east side of the mountains than go down to silver lake, but I get what you're saying, they're around.

I'm just tired of waiting for the water to warm up. I've been trying in some spots that usually have some panfish by now and keep getting skunked. Hopefully when the other lakes open next weekend I can try a few more spots.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to head out east!

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm

I've been getting impatient for some good westside crappie / panfish action too, not much happening yet at my usual local honey holes. Gonna head out right now to a shallow pond near my place here in Everett and see what's shakin' , but my guess is that those 70 degree temps the weatherman is talking about for mid-week will really turn on the switch for warm water fish on the westside. Think positive, right ?

I'm at that point where I am cooking up store bought Dover sole and pretending they are crappie fillets !
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Bustin: Ouch!!!

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Oh man bustin, I didn't even see the forecast til now, looks like my favorite local lake is going to be primo for opening day! Couple days in the upper 60s and then a day or two of 70s should do nicely to wake up the crappie at cottage lake and hopefully move some perch into the shallows of a few other lakes. Dang, now I've gotta decide between clamming and surf perching or combat fishing on opening day, hahaha, that's an easy one, the crappie will still be there the next week but razor clams gonna close up soon it sounds like.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Been a while. That south end still good on Cottage?

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Well we will see in about a week ;) I've got my little pontoon boat now, which is way easier to haul into the lake. Gonna see just how well the lake is holding up!

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:12 pm

I shore fished a local peat bog near my home in Everett for a couple of hours this evening, hoping to get a peck from an early season crappie or pumpkinseed. Working a worm tipped jig-n-float rig around the just-emerging lily pads produced nothing , and although visibility was good, I saw not one fish. I switched up to a small Rapala floater and cast it SLOW in the sun warmed shallows, where eventually a decent sized Largemouth decided to take a whack at it. I had my hands full for a minute , on my 4# ultralight crappie rod , trying to steer that bass around all the snags and weeds. He finally gave a mighty leap and spit that tiny Rapala out on the way down. It was pretty fun stuff , but I was really hoping for a slab crappie or two. Good news is, if the bass are waking up, the crappies , sunfish, and perch will be showing up soon as well.

Tomorrow it's kokanee at Stevens, and we'll probably spend an hour or two slow-draggin' carolina rigs and jigs for Smallies, too. Looks like perfect weather is on tap , should be a great day on the water (fingers crossed).
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm

How'd you do BB? I am going out to my crappie hole tomorrow after work. I have about a two hour window before dark, so I always feel a little rushed, but if they are in there still, I should get 'em!

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 pm

What is your setup for crappie, crappiemaster?

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Two weeks ago, I was using a 1/64 oz jig with a microjig and some chartreuse crappie nuggets and they were ok with that. This last week, since they are more aggressive, I am using 1/32 oz jig with mini jigs. I am using a smaller bobber and a split shot right underneath the bobber to keep it straight up and down. It gets the jig vertical quicker and when you are jerkin', the jig doesn't "float" out of the strike zone. I have the jig 18-24 inches under the bobber. The lake I fish is pretty deep, but in the evening that depth seems to be where they are striking. What works for me is to work the weed beds jerk,jerk, jerk, drag it a little, reel slack and do it again. Keep the bait moving slowly. At least that works for me. Panfisher and some of the others may have other techniques and set ups and they are pretty successful. 1" Gulp minnow are also one of my staples as well in fact, last week they seemed to be liking those a little better.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:00 am

Nice, where on the Columbia do you fish? Paterson area or Tri-Cities area? I've never tried for panfish on the Columbia in the sloughs, just for bass and catfish.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”