Mukilteo Dock fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jeremy_Lerv
Petty Officer

Mukilteo Dock fishing

Post by Jeremy_Lerv » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I've just moved to Lynnwood from Chelan area and I want to go fishing on the Mukilteo dock. I've searched and searched and searched but I cant find out what to fish for on that dock. Any help is appreciated

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Mukilteo Dock fishing

Post by BentRod » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Right now, I think the only thing you'll have any luck catching are starry flounder. The salmon run is over, not that the Mukilteo fishing pier is a prime spot for them anyway. You can't retain rockfish anymore, so that leaves flounder and Cabezon. I can't remember what the season for Cabezon is, but they're not as plentiful from the pier as flounder. Check the regs before you go as I don't know if they have a season too. A little shrimp on a hook fished off the bottom will catch them. Best of luck.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm

probably better off running up to kayak point and throwing spinners off the beach, sea run cutts!

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Probably could jig up a bucket full of squid, if you like calamari

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:probably better off running up to kayak point and throwing spinners off the beach, sea run cutts!

Ditto on that...
If you do go for the cutts. from the beach, make sure to read your regs. well. It is a catch and release fishery, selective gear, single hook... baitless... barbless... etc. Those are special fish, don't dent the population. :-k

Puget Sound fishing from piers ain't what it used to be, if you go back 30+ years. Open up the salt water regs and see what people are talking about. The limited amount of "Interesting" bottom fish are highly regulated by the DFW. Not saying that I disagree with that in any way.... The pier is flounder, sculpin, a ratfish or two, an Irish lord on a lucky day.
As people said, you might find some Pinks on the odd # years, and from at least the Edmonds pier people will catch a coho or two, but seriously, I think it is like winning the lotto/odds.
If you don't have boat access, I'd start following the river forums and see what people are doing out there.
( :-" :-" or invest about $50.00-75.00 into a float tube and become an Urban lake bass angler)

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi All) I am absolutely new to the fishing and planning to go to Mukilteo this weekend to try a luck! Does anybody know what kind of fishes I can catch now in this area? I am asking because I need to decide what what kind of hooks, bites, etc. to take with me. Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 pm

That pier used to be really good for perch. Haven't fished there in 20+ years though.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately, I don't familiar with perch at all, so I took 10lbs line, some hooks sizes ~4-5 and eggs with hope to catch a flounder (flatfish). Also some friend said me that it is possible to buy shrimps or other baits somewhere near the pier. Is it true? Does someone know what is the place exactly? Maybe name of the shop? Thanks in advance!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Eugene, Just go up to any grocery store and get some small white salad shrimp. drop them into boiling water for the shortest moment, about 1 minute. (blanched) This will firm them up and they will stay on the hook.
Put a weight on the very end of your line... then tie the first hook about 12-15" up from the sinker... then tie another hook another 10" above that one. Pinch both the barbs off the hooks. Shrimp on the hooks, hook the shrimp twice with each hook. Toss it out there... you will find your fish. If you can't find the salad/cocktail shrimp you can use any other shrimp, but it really helps to give them a quick moment in boiling water to firm up.

Check the bottom side of the flounders for tumors. (Look like pencil erasers) Hold them up to the light and look through the body for parasitic worms, you will know when you see them.
Have fun! :cheers:
Oh ya... I would forget about fishing with eggs. Although salt water bottom fish will eat almost anything, fishing eggs from a jar, are mostly a trout thing. Also good thick nightcrawlers that you can buy at any Fred Meyer or tackle store will stay on your hook, and produce fish as well.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:13 am

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:That pier used to be really good for perch. Haven't fished there in 20+ years though.
I've never really heard about perch in the sound. But I imagine they used to be everywhere.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 am

Pile perch are fairly common in the sound and far outnumber their cousins the surf perch and striped seaperch. Rigging is pretty much the same as The Quadfather described in the previous post. Always make sure to check the regs for locations, limits, etc.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:51 pm

Quadfather, thank you for your answer! It is very informative and useful post) Today I have got a luck I caught 1 fish and it is a flounder. And also one time something broke my line. I am not sure if it was a fish or some inanimate thing like wood stick, rope, cable, other subsurface junk, but I really was dragging it and it is gone exactly when I lifted it up to water surface(((

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi all again. I am continuing discovering saltwater fishing here. And I think I have made a mistake with identification of fish I caught. It is not a flounder. Yes, it looks like flounder, but it is other flatfish. I don't know exactly what kind it is, but it is brown in color with some light spots. Can anybody say what this fish is? Thank you in advance. Also, can anybody recommend a good setup for pier fishing? Now I fish with small Shakespeare travel mate kit. It contains a small telescopic rod (line test 10lbs) and a small reel. I think it is not enough. I suppose to change to a braided line ~15-20lbs test. But I have no idea about rod and reel. I think rod should be 2 piece 7-8' length. Please advice couple of good models. And the same question about a reel. Thank you!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Well, you are fishing pretty lite with the Shakespeare telescoping rod and mini reel on a salt water pier. Your fine for flounder, but if you ever hooked up with anything larger you'd be out gunned.
If that is your basic place to fish just pick up a 8-9' used rod from Craigslist if you dont want to spend any money. Med-heavy action. Or if u go with new....buy a Shakespeare Ugly stick.. cheap and hardy. U don't need to spend money on braid. I'd load up with 15-20lb test. You'll be fine. IF....you go after dogfish u may want to annie up to braid.

If it's in your ability....you should get out to th Westport jetty. U will have a whole other experience with salt water bottom fish. Pier fishing in Puget Sound is a far cry from what it was in 1978.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

The Quadfather, thank you) Now all seem to be clear. And yes, I am thinking about Westport jetty and maybe I will go there soon. I just want to collect a bit more experience from places around me, because Westport seems to be a bit far from my place.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 am

Better then the Mukilteo dock is the fishing pier in Clinton. Take the ferry over and fish there. Good for crab during crab season. Good for lings during ling season. I love fishing that dock. It has a enclosed area for rainy cold days. I was thinking of heading that way soon myself. Clams or prawn work well. Herring will catch bullies and doggies mostly.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Racfish, thank you) It is really good idea! I see ferry fare is not expensive. But are there any fishes now? I am thinking about this weekend.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Im not sure off hand. You will need to check the regs. Lings have a specific season. Rockfish I think are an all year round deal. If I go I will also check regs to be sure. Im sorry I cant tell you more.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Remember that rockfish have been closed in most PS marine areas. Unfortunately bottom fish seasons are extremely short and chopped up in PS. You can tear up the flounder though......well, at least to a limit of 15.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi Guys. Ok, thank you very much! Sure, I have WA fishing rules and I always strictly follow it. I meant if are any fishes there accordingly to the time of year. For example a season for bottom fish is opened all year acc. to fishing rules, but I think not the all kinds of fish are available here all year around, because maybe they don't like cold water, etc. Finally I know that I can expect flounder here in March. Are there any other bottom fishes here now?