Chehalis tribal net schedule

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
schu7498
Commander

Chehalis tribal net schedule

Post by schu7498 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 pm

http://209.206.175.157/Fishing%20Regs/c ... ercial.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much getting past that. I cant imagine getting another good year on the skook. Absolutely ridiculous.

afk
Petty Officer

Re: Chehalis tribal net schedule

Post by afk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:36 am

One day a week for escapement. Doesn't look good at all.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 am

Although depressing, it doesn't surprise me. But that doesn't necessarily mean a bad season. They netted it last year and the year before. If we had the net schedule from last year, that might make it a little more meaningful.

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 am

I tried looking for last years net schedule to compare and found a few snippets from blogs and other fishing forums. Last year according to pautzkes blog it was 3 days a week, http://www.pautzke.com/fireblog_read.php?read=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; And according to gamefishin in 2011 it was being netted 2 days a week. http://www.gamefishin.com/community/vie ... &sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:01 pm

That is depressing. Been watching the FishTheChelalis videos from the link you provided schu7498, this does not help improve my mood after watching them. Thanks for posting that link by the way, depressing but better to be informed then not!

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm

That's the most retarded thing about this state. Oh! We had a good run this year, let's let the tribe take more fish. And then two or three years down the road we have WDFW scratching their heads at how few fish we have returning. Get the nets out of the rivers! Subsistence and ceremonial netting only. We need to put a boycott on tribal caught fish and get someone elected who has actually put a line in the water. I don't care what happened to your ancestors, right now you're just being retarded tribes.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm

whats up with everyone using the R word you can't use stupid or something, saw a magazine with it published in the article and thought it was unnecesarry. Try expanding your vocabulary nateT

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 pm

How the heck can netting 6 days a week be justified?

"Justification: This schedule is set mainly to allow continuing the schedule next week. Beyond that subsequent schedules will be set as needed."

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

And as for the word 'retarded', it is, and always has been, a valid word in the english language, and there is no valid reason to stop using it, as it has many uses in everyday language. Feel-good politically correct B.S. does nothing but create more feel-good politically correct B.S.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm

it is a valid word but it is easy to replace and offends A LOT of people especially places like my school and they have valid reason to be mad, I don't really care how someone wants to talk, it is just how someone else might think of one by how they talk like say a client or something.

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

You know, I used to do some pretty stupid things in my early life, and I've been called a lot of different things, nasty mean things, in my life. If I let it all bother me I would be a shattered nervous wreck.

On the countrary, I try to follow my dads' advice, and let it all roll off like water off a duck's, well, you know.

Point is, being taught to not let stuff bother you teaches you that it's not important enough to bother with, and in the end it doesn't really matter. If you let it bother you then they have power over you, and quite frankly, it's your choice to let that happen. Teaching that to our children is a surefire way to greatly reduce the need for legislating the english language into oblivion.

now back to the topic.

I noticed that in researching prior years escapement reports, the hatchery at the skook is listed showing steelhead.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01189/wdfw01189.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, for 2011 and 2012, the only fish listed for the skook hatchery are coho.

With what shu reported above about prior years net schedules, it increased from 2011 to 2012, and this year is an even bigger jump.

Speculation of course, but that seems a bit strange, to me...

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 pm

gonnahookit wrote:You know, I used to do some pretty stupid things in my early life, and I've been called a lot of different things, nasty mean things, in my life. If I let it all bother me I would be a shattered nervous wreck.

On the countrary, I try to follow my dads' advice, and let it all roll off like water off a duck's, well, you know.

Point is, being taught to not let stuff bother you teaches you that it's not important enough to bother with, and in the end it doesn't really matter. If you let it bother you then they have power over you, and quite frankly, it's your choice to let that happen. Teaching that to our children is a surefire way to greatly reduce the need for legislating the english language into oblivion.
wtf I could care less, I am just saying that you just don't go around calling individuals rtards and stuff. I am probally one of the best to not let stuff bother me.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 pm

gonnahookit wrote:You know, I used to do some pretty stupid things in my early life, and I've been called a lot of different things, nasty mean things, in my life. If I let it all bother me I would be a shattered nervous wreck.

now back to the topic.

I noticed that in researching prior years escapement reports, the hatchery at the skook is listed showing steelhead.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01189/wdfw01189.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, for 2011 and 2012, the only fish listed for the skook hatchery are coho.

With what shu reported above about prior years net schedules, it increased from 2011 to 2012, and this year is an even bigger jump.

Speculation of course, but that seems a bit strange, to me...
I'd like to know how they decide what to report and what not to report. Not all of the hatcheries are reported, as well as not all the smolt plants for different systems. Just one of the bones I have to pick with our WDFW. I'm tempted to make a FOIA request for all of their records in regards to salmon and steelhead stocking documents to post them onilne in an accessible fashion.

As for my use of the word retarded, I stand by it. Using an acronym for something much more offensive than that doesn't make it less so. I'm not calling any single person retarded, I'm calling the idea that they have in our state that to manage a fishery all we have to do is keep it one step away from being on the ESA threatened list. They got 1,000 fish back at the hatchery the last time they reported, yet they only needed 250,000 egg take, whatever that means. We get that at other hatcheries from 100 fish. What would happen if they put all those eggs back in? Or limited tribal netting? Fact is that we are sitting on world class steelhead water, yet we're shooting ourselves in the foot because every time we get a surplus, we spend it on the nets. You can never get yourself in the black if every time you get a paycheck you spend it instead of paying down the credit card and putting the extra in savings. We have a WDFW that is a whipping post to tribes with a hatred of hatchery fish and an environmentalist agenda. It's retarded to think that we're going to maintain good runs by closing off the river to fish passage 5 days a week.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:52 am

We will quickly know the effect of the netting schedule by following the weekly hatchery return reports starting next week.

TBear_fishin
Petty Officer

Post by TBear_fishin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:27 pm

"I'm not calling any single person retarded, I'm calling the idea that they have in our state that to manage a fishery all we have to do is keep it one step away from being on the ESA threatened list. They got 1,000 fish back at the hatchery the last time they reported, yet they only needed 250,000 egg take, whatever that means. We get that at other hatcheries from 100 fish. What would happen if they put all those eggs back in? Or limited tribal netting? Fact is that we are sitting on world class steelhead water, yet we're shooting ourselves in the foot because every time we get a surplus, we spend it on the nets."

To be "politically correct" Other possibilities include: foolish, dumb, and stupid. Stupid of which Nate alluded. We (tribes and fishermen) need to share these resources. Hear that WDFW!