Dungeness river.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BlakeP
Commander

Re: Dungeness river.

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:dang thats bad, its tough escaping from anything in waders, sounds like a good day on the river.
Yeah it was kinda hard to run. Just had to get to the water though. It was a pretty good day, fish were moving up in little schools. I just can't seem to land the fish though.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Well the fish are in pretty thick now. Fished all day by the hatchery, hooked around 20-30 fish between my grandpa and i. I landed 7 keeping 3. Two little hens, one starting to darken a little, and a bright one, and a slighty dark 12lb buck. My grandpa didn't land any but hooked some huge fish. I hooked one that looked and fought like a steelhead, pretty sure it was one. Good day, but there were more dark fish than chromers.
Attachments
1106121641.jpg
1106121641.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
1106121205.jpg
1106121205.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Can't wait, I am leaving straight from work Friday to the river for the the evening bite then up again in the morning it should be a good teip
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:30 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:Can't wait, I am leaving straight from work Friday to the river for the the evening bite then up again in the morning it should be a good teip
See ya out there then. Hope its good when you take the trip out. The dungy can be random at times, one day its really really good then the next day its slow. I'm guessing it will be even better by friday and saturday but the fish won't be real bright. Really big though.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:32 pm

That's fine, I will gladly throw a couple fire truck bucks into the smoker

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Are you walking up or down from the hatch I might go this weekend but not sure.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm

I don't know until I get there, I will re read your pm on they way over and decide, if I go up at night and do good I will probably just go to the same spot, I will pm you my cell # if your going to the river

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Depends on the day. First spot i fish in the morning is by the hatchery. We park in the parking lot walk around the little gate and onto a trail by the trees then head left on the trail to a strech of the river. Nice slot in there and the fish today were stacked under a rock on the otherside of the river just had to cast to the left and swing under that rock and i would usally have a fish on. The fish i caught that i released weren't fire trucks quite yet, and would be great for smoking i just don't have a smoker. Still some nice chrome fish still. Few of them have sea lice on them. Theres also a decent amount of steelhead moving up. I've already heard of 9 steelhead being hooked, and a few landed. Okay, yeah sounds good. I'll be fishing the river all day friday, saturday and sunday.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Sounds good, I can't wait to get on the river what's the shore access like, should I be bringing a net?

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:47 pm

the river is like the quilcene just a tad bigger, how is the fishing at the dike blake?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:49 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:Sounds good, I can't wait to get on the river what's the shore access like, should I be bringing a net?
You might want a net for one cetrain hole where theres a cut-bank. I bring one and leave it in the truck in case i need it. Shore access by the hatchery is really pretty good, nice long strech of water and large bank with plenty of room to land fish. I haven't tried the dike yet, i will be out there fishing steelhead in a few weeks though. Heard of a few salmon being caught out there before rain, but not very large numbers and too many chum in the way right now.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 pm

true that about the chum dogs those things can get thicker than fleas down there but some real chromers in that river though. Really want to try for some winters there this year though.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:true that about the chum dogs those things can get thicker than fleas down there but some real chromers in that river though. Really want to try for some winters there this year though.
Yeah, last i checked there was quite a few chums. Right now the winters are kinda small(3-6lbs) One big one was caught yesterday though. So it's gonna be a decent year for them i think.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm

sounds like it when you are complaining about size instead of numbers haha, if I do go this winter I will make sure to set up a guided trip with you haha. They increased the number of smolts on the river by a couple thousand so it should be better.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:08 pm

I have to get a steelhead yet, I am planning on hitting the rivers hard this hear to try to get one

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:sounds like it when you are complaining about size instead of numbers haha, if I do go this winter I will make sure to set up a guided trip with you haha. They increased the number of smolts on the river by a couple thousand so it should be better.
Hahahaha. yeah i noticed that, not a large number compared to other rivers smolt release but enough to have a pretty decent run, and mid to late november to janurary there is no one on the river really so its pretty easy to catch the fish if they are there.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:I have to get a steelhead yet, I am planning on hitting the rivers hard this hear to try to get one
You might wanna try the bogy sometime thats always alot of fun for steelhead when its good. Though the number of smolts released were kinda low.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:13 pm

:silent: I am planning on the cascade up north I have heard lots of good things about that river

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote::silent: I am planning on the cascade up north I have heard lots of good things about that river
Never tried out there. For hatchery brats i like the dungy, bogy and calawah but then again i live close to all those rivers.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:18 pm

My closest river is the sky lots of fish.......even more people